Help! Shoes!

Rhyscous
Rhyscous Member Posts: 50
edited 3. Nov 2011, 04:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hey guys

sorry i havent posted in a while, hoping your ok, progress is slow with me but beginning to become pain-free. Anyway im in need of some help, My physiotherapist has told me to get more suitable shoes! Now im 16 and fashion is important to me, I would like a pair of plimsolls but are they suitable? I was also thinking of these( http://www.jdsports.co.uk/product/adidas-originals-vespa-px-2-mid/18367/ ) Which cover the whole ankle. What do you think about plimsolls and those shoes? If there not suitable what shoes should i go for? And please dont say nike air :(

Rhys x

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    stay away from plimpsoles if you have trouble with feet not enough padding in sole the others look ok but try them on and see how they feel only you will know val
    val
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 31. Oct 2011, 17:32
    Hi Rhys

Good to hear from you. Is the physio helping you? I hope so. I would have thought the physio would have given you some idea as to what to get.... the shoes on the link look good but whether they are suited to your need, I cannot really say. I would think that plimsolls probably do not have enough support if you are having problems with your feet.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Hi , Rhys , I was always told to wear high trainers for the best support but always ignored the advise as I'm a middle aged plump woman and it just wasn't me at all , I like pretty and feminine ! The trainers you've chosen look ideal but make sure they are comfortable and suit your feet . Jillyb
  • Rhyscous
    Thank you for your replies guys, i really like the high-top shoes, My physiotherapist is also going to be fitting in insole into them to push my foot over as i have abit of an out of shape foot. Any more responses on the high top shoes? Anyone had any experiences with these..

Rhys xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    There are threads on shoes all over the place, do a search on here and the Young Persons forum and I reckon you will find all sorts of recommendations for all ages. High tops look OK but there will be no support for your ankle whatsoever - whether that matters or not for your joints I can't remember. Please use the correct insole with them as any form of shoe like that is bad even for those with good feet - I remember reading a number of press articles about this back in the summer. I am thankful I am now of an age where I absolutely care not one jot about my footwear but I can appreciate this must be an absolute nightmare for you younger ones where image etc does matter. Look after your feet, young Rhyscous, they are not only superb pieces of physical engineering but the rest of you rests on them. Good luck with the search. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • cloud9
    cloud9 Member Posts: 385
    I've been told to go for New Balance shoes when I get my cast off. Apparently they are good for orthotics as well as being very supportive.
    Sue (Cloud9)
  • BikerAngel
    BikerAngel Member Posts: 122
    Hi I have got othotics and it is new balance trainers I have and also bought a pair of saucony for in the house as can't go barefoot any more so I would say go on this site http://www.mandmdirect.com/ProductList.aspx and look at the pink and grey new balance train shoes that is what I got for outdoors as they are good on all surfaces better grip with the soles. The pink n white saucony ones are for my indoor ones and they have got fab cushioning and you fit othotics well in both as the sole comes out and you put your ones in. I also have a pair of cat boots I use in winter with my othotics in they give good support for ankle. One think I will say is never use ugg boots they are worst for support. I do on the odd occasion wear flat shoes with a dress if I am out but that is just for special occasions as it hurts now without my othotics. I have my right leg tipping in as my left one is slightly shorter now so got the wedge on my right one and an added sole on my left one to bring that leg up to make same length. I hope you get on ok with them and notice the benefit I have.
    Tracey
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Rhyss

Really good to see you :smile:

Are you doing ok then and back at school/college?

Hope you can find some good shoes. I have some boot type shoes from Cl*rks which have lovely spongy insides and l have added some elastic shoelaces to make life easier.

Might be an idea to ask the Physio whether you need a bigger size than usual to accomodate the insoles??

Love
    Toni xx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I have loads of trainers, adidas gazelles, Golas and converse . As my feet have changed and got wider shape I can't fit into the adidas trainers anymore but if they still fitted I would be wearing them.I lived in trainers(but do have problems with my left ankle nowadays).

Keep wearing the styles you like, while you can.

Just wondering if you have Vespa PX. I am into scooters.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Rhyscous
    Thank you for all your replies! as usual very helpful, To the above poster are adidas gazelles comfourtable? Its the joints in my ankle which is the problem, my physio told me that the part that supports the ankle on my shoe isnt strong enough? Yet i have no clue what to get, any more suggestions? Thank you all again!

Rhys <3
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    yes, I'm interested in gazelle trainers too. I like that brand and find them good but don't know how supportive they are. Also the G*l*

Rhys, I was told by my podiatrist to get shoes that, when you bend them, are difficult to bend in half. If you see what I mean. He recommended wearing walking shoes but like you, I am fashion conscious, even though I am off a different generation! Also, I find them heavy on my feet and tiring to wear. I will be interested to see where this thread goes.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    The adidas Gazelles WERE comfortable but are too narrow for me to wear now. They are less flexible than the Golas. I have retro Golas and they are very soft so I like them most of all but I only wear them occasionally.

Despite my ankle difficulties i have not been told what style of shoes I should be wearing.

I did have insoles for some trainers and I found them helpful but they are worn through now.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Rhyscous
    Hello everyone, i just ordered these ( http://www.jdsports.co.uk/product/nike-sellwood-mid-ac/25965 ) As you can see the ankle support on them is alot tighter and thicker than the other shoes, they are fashionable and look dead comfy around the ankle! Hope you are all ok anyway, havent posted on the forum for a while but will start getting active again! you lot have helped me through alot

Rhys xx
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Glad you have got sorted Rhys, they look good. I hope they come soon for you. Wear them round the house as much as possible for a few days as sometimes they need breaking in round the ankles where they touch the bone.

Lv, I x
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Hi Rhys,

I'm a girl and 23 so shoes looking nice are quite an important quality to me too. :smile: I've found it is often trial and error. I've bought shoes, worn them in at home, gone out and then realised they're no good. So, I've spent a lot wasted money on shoes but finally found a decent pair. I went to Scholl (think that's spelt right) and the sales assistant was really helpful.

One thing I've found is that what works for one won't work for another. It's really individual. I'm wearing ankle boots right now and originally, I hated anything touching my tender ankles but they need the support. I'm sure by next year, I'll be wearing a different style but for me, I can't put a price on comfortable feet.

All the best. Hope you're doing ok.
    Sophie x