i have my exray resuilt i have to have a dexa scan

dachshund
dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
edited 1. Nov 2011, 10:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
I all.
i hope you are all having a good day.
i have not got arther in my ankle i have osteoporosis (i dont think that is spelt right)
i dont understand as i have had a life of being outside with animals i think its to do with age.
joan xx
take care
joan xx

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Spot on with the spelling, Joan, it's a long old word isn't it? Osteoporosis is linked to aging, although it can be caused by some meds: it is more common in women than men and it is caused by the bones becoming more fragile on the inside: instead of them resembling honeycomb they become more like lace. The DEXA scan should reveal what is what and there are meds that can be given to try to slow its progress. You poor thing, what a shock this must be. I am so sorry. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Joan

Osteoporosis can be caused by so many factors, as well as age:-

an early menopause (before the age of 45)
    a hysterectomy before the age of 45, particularly when the ovaries are also removed
    periods are absent for a long time (more than six months) as a result of over-exercising or over-dieting
    Diseases of the hormone-producing glands
    hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid gland)
    a family history of osteoporosis
    a parental history of hip fracture
    a low body mass index (BMI of 19kg/m2 or less)
    long-term use of high-dose corticosteroid treatment (widely used for conditions such as arthritis and asthma), which can affect bone strength
    rheumatoid arthritis

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Joan
    osteoporosis can be caused by certain meds that can thin the bones, and so can going through the menopause....the scan will show the extent of it, good thing is they know what they are dealing with, and there are some good drugs around to slow the thinning down .
    Itis very common in women, so dont go worrying.....please let us know when your scan is.
    Love
    Barbara
  • dachshund
    Thank you DD Elna Barbara.
    thank you for your help. i had a hysterectomy in my early 40's i have my ovaries.
    i have the scan booked for the 8 nov.
    take care. joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Hi Joan

Good look with your scan on the 8th, I will be in your pocket.
    I have learnt something new today after reading the replies on osteoporosis, the forum is great isn't it.

Love & Hugs (((((()))))
    Juliepf x
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    pocket on 8th some one remind me please will never remember will have been asleep by then .
    good luck with it val
    val
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Oh Joan

I am so cross for you

m0409.gif

Not arthur but osteoporosis which l am sure you spelt perfectly.

Will be with you if you want me for your scan.

Love

Toni xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Joan
    I hope you are less worried, and I will be with you on the 8th..you take care ((((()))) xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Dear Joan

Just wishing you all the best with your scan on the 8th. I wish I would be offered a dexa scan - I had one in 2004 but a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then and I often wonder if I should press for another one to be done. I would more than likely be refused in this day and age. :roll:

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello my lovely, are you feeling a little better about things today? I hope so. I will be there on the 8th - in fact I will be in there with you as I have been turned down for one and would rather like to have one so make sure you budge up! :smile: I am thinking of you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello Joan. I don’t know whether to be glad it’s not arthritis or sorry that it’s osteoporosis. A bit of both I think. I hope the scan shows it’s not too bad and I’ll be thinking of you on 8th.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dachshund
    Thank you Julie Val Toni Barbara Elna DD Stickyw.
    thank you all for your help.
    i'm being greedy having arther and ostoporosis.
    i went to the hydrotherapy pool yesterday afternoon.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx