Why Stomach Protectors?

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 3. Nov 2011, 08:47 in Living with Arthritis archive
I’ll tell you why. My damage was done by years of anti-inflammatories before they arrived on the scene. For the last 3-4 weeks, in addition to the Lansoprazole, I’ve poured infinitely more Gaviscon Advance down my gullet than wine, tea and herbal teas (which I don’t even like much) combined. It still felt like someone had threaded a rope through my chest, out the other side and back again and had placed a large boot on my chest in order to pull it tighter. I have, therefore, been in Supergrump/Mistress of the Whinge mode and have kept my distance from the forum for the protection of all of you on it.

However, I’m cautiously optimistic that a fragile truce may finally have broken out between my hiatus hernia and my oesophagus. On Saturday they graciously permitted me a small glass of wine with my (very bland and small) evening meal without knocking seven bells out of each other. Yesterday I was even allowed a small cup of tea, with only minor repercussions. If this progress continues, I am dreaming of, eventually, being able to nibble on a bit of cheese again or even, breathe it softly, eat one of the last of our tomatoes before Mr SW scoffs the lot. I don’t know why they hate tea as much as I love it but my immediate plans are to slowly (so’s they don’t notice) decrease the water consumption and increase the tea.

With this battle half won, I’m off for my flu jab this afternoon. That should be fun. Should I alert re-sus in advance this time?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    You poor thing, I am so sorry. I hope TOK sees this as he is fairly certain they are not necessary meds for the majority of us. I think we often forget the toxicity of the meds we take and the knock-on effects they can cause. No wine? No tea? How long did it take Mr SW to build his bunker - or did he just move to the clubhouse?

My poor friend. I don't think I have ever done this to you before and I hope I don't ruin our friendship by doing it now: ((())) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    oh dear Sticky no tea is not much fun unless you are in hospital then the fun starts as you try everything else that might be drinkable , i so hope things are calming down for your poor chest and tum , also that the flu jab goes well xx
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Sticky..

I am sorry to hear your not great luvie...
    I hope you are on the mend soon and can hopefully increase your uptake in food and liquids.. :wink::smile: ..
    Take care luvie..xxx (((((X)))))
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Our GP here in Spain won't prescribe any anti infllamatories without Buffer tablets They are really expensive though We don't have to pay but they are something like 30 Euros for 20 tablets :roll: :roll:
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Hi Sticky
    After having such a terrible time lately I
    Have EVERY thing crossed here that your inners are now behaving and that at long last you can enjoy a nice cup of tea.

Hope your flu jab went welll today too.
    Take care
    love juliepf x

(ps nice to have you back :grin: )
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Poor you Sticky

Grotty grotty :x

Very pleased things are slowly but surely improving for you and your belly-bits

Love

Toni xxx
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Sticky, that sounds miserable, I hope itimproves for you soon. :sad:
  • stickywicket
    Thank you DD, bertyboy, traluvie, tonesp, Julie, frogmorton and suzygirl. The utterly bland and boring diet continues but the incessant battle for my oesophagus is now merely a skirmish. I still daredn’t attempt a cup of tea but that is of far less importance now that I’m less in need of its comfort value – which wasn’t at all comforting previously.

30 Euros for 20 stomach protecting tabs, Tonesp? Thank God for the NHS! I doubt I’d have made adulthood without it.

DD – the friendship is still intact. (Nice try though!)
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Life without tea is not to be contemplated. If I was told that either the wine or the tea had to go it would be the wine without a moment's hesitation. :shock:

So, a fragile truce has been drawn up: I hope it lasts and gains strength, I really do. A bland diet eh? To me that means lots of poached fish (gorgeous) 'gentle' veg boiled to oblivion (horrendous) perhaps some rice pudding (though dairy is not easily digested so maybe not). Am I on the right lines? DD

PS I am very pleased we are still friends.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Hi sticky, I know how painful a cup of tea can be. I am unable to tolerate wine anymore due to heartburn, but its ok I like cider. :grin: I would miss my cuppa though.

When I was bad, had an ulcer they thought, I had to double up lansoporazole, morning and evening and was given metclopramide to speed up time which food was in stomach till it healed. It enabled me to eat and drink. Have you explored those possibilities?? Or am I preaching to the converted?? :lol: :oops:
  • stickywicket
    DD – Fish is no problem, especially when it’s salmon fillet, and I just gently steam the veg (cauli & sprouts are a no-no). I’m also OK with salads (no cheese or tomato and only a light dressing) and we don’t normally do ‘puddings’, rice or otherwise. I’m just starting to long for lasagne or leek, carrot & potato pie (with cheese sauce).

Suzygirl – I found metaclopramide excellent when I had ulcers and was practising for the projectile vomiting Olympics. This isn’t quite the same. My stomach’s not a problem in itself. I don’t feel sick. It’s the oesophagus. I think. Who knows? Flaming bodies! Next time round I want a half decent one.
    Steven Wright
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hi Sticky.
    i'm so sorry you've had so much to put up with i'm pleased
    things are improving for you.
    ((((((((sticky))))))))
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Big hugs and love to you, Sticky. xx

P.S. for anyone else ~ cox 2 inhibitors tend to be slightly gentler on the stomach. I take celebrex.
  • julie47
    Hi Sticky

Here's hoping you had a reasonable day today and were able to manage a small cuppa.

love juliepf x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    hi Sticky,

flower have they had a look to see whats going on there? and why stomach protectors... so you don't get this! :wink:

it maybe that the lanzop isn't strong enough or the right drug? i was on 2 2x a day to no avail by the end f the aliens growth spurt and now am on nexium and domp what ever they are called as well. even thats not enough someways so thats why you must take them and also if they haven;t had a look down maybe it would be an idea for them to do so.... not wishing it on you but thats all horribly familiar to me....

hoe your feeling ok now though and bland food gets ok in time. hugs from the dog in the bare costume. Cris xx
  • stickywicket
    Thank you dachshund, Starburst, Julie & skezier.

Yesterday the battle was on again but I think it was because I’d had a drink going to bed the night before. (How am I supposed to take painkillers without a drink and a biscuit?) Last night I managed without & was much better again today.

Starburst, I read your post when I was feeling very whingy with it all so thank you.

Skezier, they last had an endoscope down a couple of years ago. They’re planning either another or something similar. If I have to up the meds I will but I’m a firm believer that meds beget meds so I won’t unless I have to. Please thank Haz.
    Steven Wright
  • Mat48
    Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
    Interesting this diet one. Hugely overweight ('obese' according to my son's nintendo wii!) by last May - and facing diabetes 2 plus a GP diagnosis of RA I decided that I had to take action re diet as it was something I could do for myself at least. Was worried that gallstones would play up if I "dieted" - as had happened many times before - but this time I really meant business as have a family history of gout, diabetes 2 etc.

So I decided to quit gluten. This has completely turned my digestive life around (not made any discernable difference to the joint problems though!). I don't know why I find it so easy to stick to now because I've always loved my food - pasta, big chunky sandwiches etc? But the best bit of all is I've stopped farting and getting caught out by IBS type stuff and haven't had a gallstone episode since this arther took off last Spring :grin:

Lost 2 stone quite easily because my appetite seemed to disappear with all the arther pain etc. Then quit dairy too but that has only helped me to shift another half stone and hasn't changed anything much so I'm not rigorous. Except that by not having milk in my tea and coffee I've inadvertently stopped drinking them and now have quit caffeine by default so am also sleeping after years of insomnia!(apart from when arther gets me by the goolies in the middle of the night - or steroids!)

I feel horribly like I'm sounding like a born again health freak here but I just think maybe wheat causes more problems for more people than is ever acknowledged? And it's weird because I've had a lifetime's worth of gauging my face off on cheese and squishy bread and all things gastro and yet now I don't REALLY miss it or get food cravings apart from natural hunger now. Cutting wheat for people who also get bad abdominal pain is worth a thought perhaps? I'm using a stomach protector (Om something..?) now I'm on Prednisolone but I'm not sure whether I really need it or not? Sometimes we think we can't live without all the crap but actually I'd do anything to eliminate pain! Mat
    If you get lemons, make lemonade
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Starburst, I read your post when I was feeling very whingy with it all so thank you.

Oh Sticky, you're such a rational and kind soul, I can't even imagine you being whingy. Of course you have every right to be.

Glad yesterday was a better one for you and hope today is too.

xx
  • julie47
    Morniing sticky

Really hope the tum is good today.

Love Juliepf x
  • stickywicket
    Starburst wrote:
    Oh Sticky, you're such a rational and kind soul, I can't even imagine you being whingy.

Ah Starburst, I wish I knew myself as little as you do!

Thanks again, folks. I think I've got it's number now. Only water or a herbal tea in the 2 hours before bed. Nothing to eat so no paindullers going to bed but, if it's to be one pain or another, right now it has to be 'the other'.
    Steven Wright
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Sticky Hope you are back to your normal perky self soon,,must be dragging you down a bit, but i can still see that smile shining through.. :P
    Have a glass ready for you when you are fit and well.. :wink::lol:
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx