New to this site

Options
jordansin
jordansin Member Posts: 2
edited 12. Nov 2011, 02:40 in Young people's community
hi every one have just found this site dont know how but I did am 21 and have been riddled with this arthritis for years and it is getting worse and worse I have fixed flexion deformity left arm OA right knee goose neck deformity left hand.

I take no meds as i can not be arsed with all the blood tests sitting in hospital for hours.

My doctor wants me to have total knee replacement, but I have said no cos the risks are to great.

it is good to see this site as i can come on here and moan as none of me mates understand and expect that I can walk for miles going from bar to bar on friday nite.

has any one had a knee op and was it proper painful afterwards, how long before you could walk

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Jordan

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry that you have chosen to take no meds but that is your choice of course. It can make life easier if one does. I have had 2 TKR's two years apart and it is one of the best things that I could have done and I am very happy with them. After a TKR you are up and walking in the hospital the next day. Some people have no pain post op. We are all different. I did have pain post op but I had very good movement early on.Can't win them all :lol: It is a major operation and does take time to get over. Took about 9 months before I forgot all about it. You do have to be prepared to work at the exercises given by physio. As you say there are risks attached to having a TKR but there are risks attached to any operation. You will know when the time is right for you to go forward. At least your doc is offering you a new knee. Others on here would love to have a new knee but their consultant is not keen for whatever reason.

This is a great place to call in for a rant, we do understand, where, as you say, family and friends often do not.

Look after yourself,

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.