New here with osteoarthritis- pain relief

suzyc68
suzyc68 Member Posts: 19
edited 5. Mar 2017, 10:27 in Young people's community
Hello,

i'm new to this, but got diagnosed in April this year with osteoarthritis in my spine and hip after suffering since i was 16 (now 24). Just wondering if theres anyone else with the same here, who can share what they do to ease the pain (other the tablets), and how they cope with really bad days? Finding it quite difficult to come to terms with really. i am constantly tired, which isnt helping to motivate me to exercise- got into a viscous cycle.

Thanks

Suzanne

Comments

• traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Suzanne..

It is hard to try and find the right balance..
    One of the hard things is listening to what our body is saying..If it is hurting it normally means we need to slow down and rest as adding more stress could cause more pain..
    Keeping ontop with pain dullers and trying something like wheat bags,hot water bottles or some gel like deep heat..
    I suffer with my hips not sure waht arther i have there lol, but i kinow how painful it can be..I use crutches to help move about..that was done by a referral form GP..they are a great help when i need to get somewhere with support lol..
    Everyone is different in what works for them you may find you will have to try a few things to see what works best..
    Living with arthritis forum is a good forum for advice too, a lot of wise owls lol and good wit too..
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hi Suzanne, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. Blasted arthritis, it is a bother at times. The disease itself makes us tired, the constant pain is tiring, the effort required to do even the most basic of things is also draining. I count myself lucky that so far my hips are unaffected but my knees are shot with PA and OA, and I think my ankles too. The only thing that really 'helps' with the pain (for me anyway) are cocodamols. They remove enough of the edge so I can get on with things, or as much as I can do anyway.

I know that some with OA swear by glucosmaine, chondroitin, cod liver oil etc etc etc but I feel that for those with severe, chronic pain they are not that beneficial. Heat can help, can you manage a soak in a hot bath? As to how to cope with the worse days, the only advice I can offer is to rest as much as you can, do not push yourself more than you have to with anything, and basically just ride it out until it passes. And it will. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • suzyc68
    Hello,

thank you for your messages. i think i may try some supplements and see if they help with my joints. My fella has started taking omega 3, and even though he doesnt have joint problems as such, he says he has noticed a difference.
    I have pushed myself this past week to get back in the gym as much as possible, and it has actually helped.
    Its just nice to know im not alone in this, when i see so many people on here...because doctors etc have basically diagnosed, and not done or helped with anything else with regards to actually having the emotional support as such, or knowing about groups where people are in similar situations.

thank you
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    There are many of us on here who know what this is like, please consider posting on the LWA forum as many more hang out on there. OK, we might not be 'young' (I am 52!) but pain is pain is pain and we all feel it.

Doctors deal with the theory, not the reality. I often think that for my rheumatologist I am an auto-immune problem to be solved, not a human with emotions. The GP takes a rather different view as she deals with the OA and understands that there is more to me than just arthritis. None of this is easy, but we will do all we can to help, yes? I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • suzyc68
    i dont like doctors- they dont understand how disabling pain can actually make you feel. i did see a pain consultant though, who was very good and make me feel like yeah i can deal with this because he also has arthritis- but it was a one off- i could do with him everytime im having a bad day :)
    age is a number- its just good to know theres people who understand.

x
  • girlyxcharlie
    girlyxcharlie Member Posts: 3
    Hey I'm 24 and have OA in my hip too. I've suffered since I was 12 and know what you mean about doctors, mine basically told me i had 'growing pains' till I was 17 and old enough to say I didn't agree and wanted another opinion. Turns out I had OA a load of tumors and Dysplasia...silly GP! The tumors have all been taken care of now and i had a good few year of fun but this year had been ridiculous. I'm on the infamous 'List' to have my pelvis reshaped to create a better joint and realign my hip so it sits on a better bit of cartilage. I've just been to the Pain Clinic and i'm going to try a TENS machine, has anyone else tried one? Also said i'd give acupuncture a go and signed up for the pain management course. I'm pretty desperate. Hot baths are a godsend but for when its not practical i have a little electrical heat pad, it has three settings and a safety time out so its amazing for when you want to sleep but can't get comfortable. Hope you get a handle on your pain soon

Charlie
    xxx
  • suzyc68
    Good to hear from you Charlie. the pain has actually been better recently. not quite sure what i have changed that has made it better.
    Have you tried having reflexology??? i trained as one, and i think the treatment really helps- just a pitty i havent had the treatment in a while.
    i had accupuncture done on my spine- for me it didnt work, but i have heard that its worked for others.
  • julioalmeda219
    julioalmeda219 Member Posts: 3
    suzyc68 wrote:
    Hello,

i'm new to this, but got diagnosed in April this year with osteoarthritis in my spine and hip after suffering since i was 16 (now 24). Just wondering if theres anyone else with the same here, who can share what they do to ease the pain (other the tablets), and how they cope with really bad days? Finding it quite difficult to come to terms with really. i am constantly tired, which isnt helping to motivate me to exercise- got into a viscous cycle.

Thanks

Suzanne

Hello Suzanne,

I have a similar problem. Have you found something for pain relief?
    Hello
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hi julioalmeda219,

Welcome to the forum, it's lovely to meet you. I'm thinking you have osteoarthritis and have been recently diagnosed, is that right?

Here's a link to the Arthritis Care website talking about osteo in general

https://arthritiscare.org.uk/assets/000/001/060/Download_Living_with_Osteoarthritis_Factsheet_original.pdf?1441120217

There are more leaflets dealing with pain, fatigue, exercise and so on which would be worth a look at. If you post on the Living with Arthritis board you will find lots of others in your situation - I remember the relief of feeling 'not alone' at the beginning of my arthritis journey.

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • julioalmeda219
    julioalmeda219 Member Posts: 3
    edited 18. Apr 2017, 11:35
    moderator wrote:
    Hi julioalmeda219,

Here's a link to the Arthritis Care website talking about osteo in general

https://arthritiscare.org.uk/assets/000/001/060/Download_Living_with_Osteoarthritis_Factsheet_original.pdf?1441120217

There are more leaflets dealing with pain, fatigue, exercise and so on which would be worth a look at. If you post on the Living with Arthritis board you will find lots of others in your situation - I remember the relief of feeling 'not alone' at the beginning of my arthritis journey.

Take care
    Yvonne x

Thank you Yvonne!
    Hello