Reactive Arthritis

Nikkisian89
Nikkisian89 Member Posts: 2
edited 30. Nov 2011, 05:05 in Young people's community
Hi,

I'm new here!

I decided to join because I have recently been diagnosed with reactive arthritis.

I am 22-years-old and got salmonella on holiday in Egypt, which triggered the reactive arthritis.

I have never paid much attention to arthritis because I thought it was something only old people got, but after a lot of research, I'm surprised to see how common it is in people of all ages and I sympathise!!!!

For 2 weeks (before I was diagnosed) I was almost crippled. The pain was unbearable, I hardly slept and I couldn't move my left arm because it actually felt like I had dislocated my elbow. I spent nearly every morning crying in pain and laying in bed for an hour until the stiffness began to pass.

It's now been 6 weeks since I began with reactive arthritis symptoms and I'm on 500mg of Naproxen twice a day which have helped SO much with the pain. I'm still stiff in the mornings and I have it in my left elbow, my little finger and ring finger on my left hand, my hips, both my knee's with swelling in my left knee, both my ankles, and one of my toes.

I have been really low and depressed because of this, I am usually an active person and this totally took me off my feet and only now I have starting cycling and walking short distances.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has simular experiences or any one who's life has been effected by arthritis, whether short-term or long-term.

:smile:
"What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"

Comments

• weejean
    weejean Member Posts: 346
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Nikkisian

Welcome to this wonderful forum. I am a relatively new user and have received so much advice and support from everyone and I am sure you will have the same experience. I am 38 years old and was born with a rare bone condition which causes osteoarthritis in every joint. I first started feeling the effects of arthritis in my early teens and it has progressed with age. Although I have always had pain and stiffness in my joints I have led a very full and happy life and I do believe it has made me a very strong person. For many years I tried to get along without pain medication then realised how stupid I was being, having the correct medication can make such a difference. Like yourself I find the mornings very difficult and get very tearful but once I take my pain killers and start moving around I feel much better. I have never been a very sporty person and it must be really hard for you going from a really active life to hardly being able to do anything but you will find a way to enjoy activities again once you get the right treatment etc. There will be days when you feel really low but you need to stay strong and keep fighting. Feel free to ask any questions or just have a good moan, it helps to get things off your chest and share your feelings with others who are in the same/similar situation.
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • TheOnlyKey
    TheOnlyKey Member Posts: 24
    Hi and welcome, I have reactive arthritis as well. My reply is a bit late and you may be back to normal by now and you wont have any problems again. I think its 1-3 people only have problems with reactive arthritis that last six months. Only a few unlucky people will have long term chronic problems (Me)

I have had it for over four years now and it comes and goes, Sometimes treatment will work great then for some reason the same treatment will have no effect. I started on Naproxen and it kept things under control for the duration of the flair up. Then it can flair up again and the meds you are used to have no effect.

All the best and I hope you are all well by now.

TOK
  • sweetprincess
    sweetprincess Member Posts: 12
    Hi,
    After a long time i am back on forum.Its been 9 months i am suffering from reactive arthritist.It seems that so many years have passed.I got so depressed but now I am trying to manage my life and accept this reality.But its so hard.I wish I would become normal as I was before.I am 18 years old.I would really appreciate if you people would reply.People around me cannot understand what I am going through.
  • sweetprincess
    Hi TheOnlykey,
    I hope you are better now.After a long time I am back on forum.I am also going through alot of trouble.My pain is getting worst and i am feeling more down with the passage of time.Previously you sent me very useful information.Can you please help me relating to pain management.I hope ypu would reply.
  • TheOnlyKey
    TheOnlyKey Member Posts: 24
    Hi sweetprincess, Sorry to hear that things are still hard for you. Most people with Reactive arthritis have pain for about 3 months or less. then dont have problems again. Have you seen a Rheumatologist yet? What kind of treatment have you had? Or meds are you on?

I had about 8 to 9 months before they even got to the bottom of my problem. And four years later i still have my ups and downs but i am on a new medication at the minute that is working for me very well.

I used to be in so much pain when i moved an inch, And i had no social life. Eveyone around me had moved and i was left behind because i could not go out. I had this when i was 19 and i know the age you are now is the worst because all you want to do is be 18 and go out with your friends! It made me look at life in a different way. I hope that Your Gp / Rheumy can help you out and you can get back on track.

As for pain management, The best thing for you to do on this site is to open your own Forum in the Living with Arthritis, State your question and you should get alof of different people helping you. Im not great with pain management because i just sat on the floor with my leg in a space boot so i could not move it at all. Took anadin and thats all i could do for months. But my pain went from 8/10 to 10/10. So some days i could move on crutches. Hope to hear from you soon.

Tok
  • sweetprincess
    Hi TheOnly key,
    I am taking salozopyrin 10 mg daily.It feels so good to hear that you are responding well to medicines.Just after two months of my first relupse i started taking DMARDS.They responded very well.Just in between sometimes I feel pain.But when i get infection,food poisoning mainly then my pain gets worse.In the begininng i also took antibiotics and my infection went away but i again comes when i eat something unbalanced.