Hello ....

JoKeyes
JoKeyes Member Posts: 11
edited 23. Nov 2011, 10:37 in Say Hello Archive
Hi all,

This is a great Forum, really interesting and good to read other people's perspectives and experiences. I'm 33 now, I was diagnosed with RA in 2008, it came as a shock to me as I was being investigated for a wrist injury which led to blood tests being taken which then resulted in my diagnosis. I have RA in my ankles, my knees and my right wrist. I'm on Methotrexate which has helped, but my wrist was too far gone for any medication to help. I had a denervation 8 weeks ago and unfortunately it wasn't successful, so I am now waiting for a date to have a bone fusion.

I have good days and bad days, I've been signed off work for the past 3 months, only came back last Friday on a phased return while I wait for my next op, and even though I'm pretty anxious about it, I hope it's soon!!

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello JoKeyes. Welcome to the forum. We always feel it's a pity that people have to find us but it's a good place to be.

The RA must have come as a bit of a shock if all you thought you had was a wrist injury. I take meth too and it works for me. I've never actually had a bone fusion but both my ankles and wrists have, over a long time, fused themselves into good positions, probably thanks to orthotics and wrist splints.

'Op-waiting' is not a pleasant pastime. The wanting and the not wanting. I hope you get yours soon and it works well.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Hi and welcome to the forum. I am sure it is not pleasant waiting for your op. I am waiting to try a new med and am dreading that, it always seems to be waiting. However we have the forum to keep us company whilst we wait and it helps!!!!
  • Lupin25
    Lupin25 Member Posts: 35
    Hi joKeyes, I'm a new member too and also have RA. At the moment i'm sitting here with my foot in plaster after having a triple fusion 9 weeks ago!
    The waiting is worse than the procedures I always find, hope you don't have to wait too long.
  • CJHunter
    CJHunter Member Posts: 1,038
    Hi JK, hope wait isnt too long and it is more succesfull for you.

Sending ((())) hugs n tea and plenty of positive vibes :smile:
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • JoKeyes
    Thanks everybody for the friendly welcome :grin:

I've just been told that it could be late Feb/early March for my op, so bit longer to wait yet!

Lupin25 - wow, a triple fusion! How is the pain?

Nice to know this forum exists so I can chat to people who know what it's like. Stickywicket, you're spot on with what you say about the wanting and the not wanting, that's excatly how I feel.

Thanks again xx
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    Hi JK
    Welcome to the forum,we all speak from personal experiences.
    (what better source of info.).
    I have RA in hands and ankle (plus OA in the latter).Haven't experienced a fusion op but did have ankle replacement in June this year and all seems ok,the waiting was definitely the worse part.
    Am also on MTX and have been for several years,given good control and no side effects!
    Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • JoKeyes
    Hi Ron, thanks for your reply - you're right, what better source of infor than from personal experience!

I also have RA in the ankle, but (touch wood) the MTX has that under control, I have it in my knees too but again, it's under control - apart from the odd flare up. It's my wrist that gives me the problems. I was offered the option of a replacement or a fusion, but after lloonnggggggggggg discussions with the consuktant and people at work I decided on the fusion. Glad your op went well, how long was it before you were up and about?
  • prefabkid47
    had my op on a Thursday afternoon,home on the Friday evening.Was in plaster cast for 6 weeks,brace for 4 weeks and that was it.Could partially weight bear whilst in plaster,then fully after that.
    Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • JoKeyes
    Think it's the plaster cast that I'm dreading the most! I hate not being able to do stuff for myself.
  • prefabkid47
    JoKeyes wrote:
    Think it's the plaster cast that I'm dreading the most! I hate not being able to do stuff for myself.

You will amaze yourself how inventive you can be to solve problems,it will sometimes be challenging but strange as it may seem be fun......... :eek:
    Being on crutches I used to have a bag round my neck,and put things in it when going from room to room,or put things eg drinks on a tray and slide it along the carpet using one of my crutches.The list is endless.
    Don't be daunted by the prospect of a plaster cast!!!!!
    Ron
  • JoKeyes
    JoKeyes wrote:

You will amaze yourself how inventive you can be to solve problems,it will sometimes be challenging but strange as it may seem be fun......... :eek:
    Being on crutches I used to have a bag round my neck,and put things in it when going from room to room,or put things eg drinks on a tray and slide it along the carpet using one of my crutches.The list is endless.
    Don't be daunted by the prospect of a plaster cast!!!!!
    Ron

:lol: thank's for the tips! I love the way you used your crutches to your advantage :lol: