How's your chuckle muscle?

joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 27. Nov 2011, 11:40 in Community Chit-chat archive
I love to laugh, and I like people who have a good sense of humour. They say that laughter is the best medicine, and I believe it's true.

Befriending your chuckle muscle energises and boosts immunity as we fight the winter bugs and colds.
In Ancient Greece, hospitals were deliberately built next to amphitheatres due to the belief that laughter was the best medicine. Taking only 16 muscles to smile compared with the 26 it takes to frown, a good belly-laughing session can burn up 500 calories, and cleanses the lungs in the same beneficial way that a deep breathing activity does. It's also a good way of protecting the heart through the increased blood flow, which is as good as aerobic activity.

Research indicates that laughter reduces the stress hormone, dopamine, associated with fight/flight. Combined with exercise, the benefits are greater, so enjoy a walk and share a laugh with a friend to stay healthy.

My best friend has had lots of misfortune and ill-health in her life, including a recent battle with cancer, but throughout it all, she's never lost her sense of humour. We have a good laugh and put the world to rights whenever we meet up, and yesterday she was given the all-clear from the cancer. I'm sure it's partly because she's always kept her chuckle muscle in full working order.

Joan
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Good on your friend Joan I wish I were more like that, anyway I must say the name of this post made me wonder what I was going to encounter when I opened it!!. :oops:
  • joanlawson
    mellman01 wrote:
    Good on your friend Joan I wish I were more like that, anyway I must say the name of this post made me wonder what I was going to encounter when I opened it!!. :oops:

Your chuckle muscle, Mel :lol::lol::lol:
  • mellman01
    OOOH Matron!!!. :lol:
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Keeping a positive attitude is vital I think.
    There's always something that'll make you smile, whether it's a cute animal picture/article on the news, or a child exploring something new for the very first time.
    I remember when my partner's grand-daughter had some cheese at our place when she was about 2. It was stronger than the type she had at home and the expression on her face was priceless! (She came back for more so obviously liked it).
    Smile and the world smiles with you - which star said that?
    Grace.
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • border
    border Member Posts: 94
    I think my chuckle muscle has retired, it certainly has not worked for the past 24 hours. Does it take a rest every so often? Mine appears to do so or needs a bit of stimulus.
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    I really shouldn't be posting as I am a very poorly girl (shoulder op got infected :???: ) but had to tell you this, my sons have decided to 'decorate' my wheelchair Betsy :shock: last week my eldest and his mates got some high visability reflector tape and they went nuts on the chair...I swear you could have seen me from space :lol: now however they have outdone themselves :wink:
    Betsy has been spray painted...luminous neon pink!
    I just had to share it with you all, I was summoned downstairs by my sons all grinning :grin: I'm absolutely delighted.
    The only downside may be that as I live near Heathrow I think I might attract planes :lol:
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • mellman01
    Hi Poppy I love the sound of the bright pink wheelchair I bet that gets some comments, also sorry to hear about your shoulder sounds painful, hope it's on the mend now.
    As for me I find my sense of humour and positive thinking and good mood goes down when I have a lot of pain for a long time, the neuropathic pain is the one that does the damage as it takes a few days to get going and then usually stays for weeks sapping my mood with it. :evil
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    I like the old Yorkshire maxim "Jokes is all right for them as likes Laughing" :lol::lol::lol:
  • joanlawson
    Thanks for your replies.

Grace- My friend is the most positive person I know, and we can nearly always find something to laugh about. She even makes all the doctors and nurses laugh when she's in hospital. She is like a tonic to the spirit and always makes me feel better.

I don't know who said Smile and the world smiles with you. Was it a dentist :!: :lol:

Border- Sorry to hear that your chuckle muscle is having a rest at the moment. I saw Dame Edna Everage on TV tonight, and she was saying that lots of people have a vitamin L deficiency ie. Laughter. I hope that you will cheer up soon.

Poppy- I'm sorry to hear that you are still so poorly with your shoulder. The luminous pink wheelchair sounds wonderful :!: :lol: Good for your sons for decorating it :grin:

Mel- I understand what you mean about the effect of pain on your mood, and don't want to suggest that laughter is a cure for all ills. However, you have demonstrated many times on here that your chuckle muscle is still in full working order :grin:

Tone- I'm a Yorkshire lass, and I like laughing. :lol: Life is full of absurdities, so you can always find something to laugh about if you try. Just think of the human condition and you'll want to laugh in case you cry. :lol:

Rehab- You have made me laugh since day one on here, so thank you :grin:
  • joanlawson
    I just read this:
    Laughing is good exercise-it's like jogging on the inside.
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    mellman01 wrote:

Did someone call ? 8) Chuckle Muscle, oh yes, it is official, we all have them. :lol:
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • joanlawson
    bubbles wrote:
    mellman01 wrote:

Did someone call ? 8) Chuckle Muscle, oh yes, it is official, we all have them. :lol:

Hi Matron
    Yes, we all have them but some people don't use them nearly enough.

Not me though, I've been laughing at my cat only a few minutes ago. He often has a mad half hour around midnight ( must be the witching hour) and he races up and down the stairs chasing imaginary mice :lol: Now he's worn himself out, and he's sleeping peacefully beside me. :grin:
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    joanlawson wrote:
    bubbles wrote:
    mellman01 wrote:

Hi Matron
    Yes, we all have them but some people don't use them nearly enough.

Not me though, I've been laughing at my cat only a few minutes ago. He often has a mad half hour around midnight ( must be the witching hour) and he races up and down the stairs chasing imaginary mice :lol: Now he's worn himself out, and he's sleeping peacefully beside me. :grin:

Bless, it must be the wind, it sends our cats a bit bonkers. The Siamese is throwing her toys about in the bedroom, sounds like en elephant is in there.
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • arfaitis
    arfaitis Member Posts: 155
    How I love my chuckle muscles, in fact they are the only muscles I have got
    the others have worn away, but working on them.
    I never stop looking for a laugh, sometimes some might find me boring, but hey that is sense of humour.
    I shall be looking for a jokes forum, hope you have one.

Arfa :lol:
  • joanlawson
    arfaitis wrote:
    How I love my chuckle muscles, in fact they are the only muscles I have got
    the others have worn away, but working on them.
    I never stop looking for a laugh, sometimes some might find me boring, but hey that is sense of humour.
    I shall be looking for a jokes forum, hope you have one.

Arfa :lol:

Hi Arfa

If all your muscles have worn away, you must be wobbly like a jelly, but I'm glad that your chuckle muscles are still working anyway. :grin:

I'm sure that you aren't boring if you've got a good sense of humour. The boring people are the ones who have lost theirs, or never had one in the first place. :roll:

There is a jokes thread on here. Have you seen Ron's jokes :?: