New on site

RachelCouper
RachelCouper Member Posts: 4
edited 30. Nov 2011, 19:23 in Say Hello Archive
Hi I received shocking news yesterday that I have Oesteoporosis in Cervical Spine and in thoracic Spine and Spondylosis and calcification of the ligaments.

This was over the telephoen so not had chance to sit down and find oout all the facts yets. I have had considerable mobility and pain issues for past ten years after a sports injury and car accident. So although I knew my condition was degenerating, mobility reducing and pain increasing, I was not expecting the diagnosis to be arthritis as I had had a scan which said I had 114% bone density.

So I am feeling rather overwhelmed by this news at present. Also there is such a huge amount of information to absorb and try to identify what is relevant to my specific situation.

I wonder if anyoen else felt as scare das I do when they were first told.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,707
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I can well imagine how overwhelmed you must feel, Rachel and you are quite right that there is an awful lot of information to sift through. Any diagnosis of arthritis and/or it's related diseases is hard to grasp.

If you feel you'd like to talk it over with someone the AC Helpline people are very good. You might also like to check out the Publications & Resources (top right of the page). Then, of course, there is always us - between us we must have every conceivable form of arthritis and we know quite a bit about treatments and how things work - or not!

I can't help you with anything specific as mine is rheumatoid but we are a very friendly lot and, if there's anything you want to know, just ask on the Living With Arthritis forum. Oh, and do remember that 'worst case scenario' doesn't happen to everyone. I've had mine 50 years and, with the help of drugs and surgery, I still have a very good quality of life.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    Hi Rachel
    Welcome to the forum,but as we always say pity you had cause to find us.As SW said we have many forms of arthritis here (I have RA and OA) and we can speak from personal experience.Once you get over the initial shock and they can get together some treatment program you will start to feel a little more positive about things.We have all been there.
    Feel free to post anytime,we are a very supportive crowd here.
    Ron x
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • RachelCouper
    Thank you for the welcome and support. I am glad this site is here and so much information, and so many people (unfortunately) have also gone through the emotions and experience of their own.
    I am glad it isnt fake, and I can scream and yell, be mad, angry upset and cry, and say I dont feel it is fair. Then after all that, their is advice and info on how to help myself, and hope that I can still have a decent if not better lifestyle than the last 10 years of not knowing whats wrong.
    I feel greatly encouraged, just know it will take a little while to adjust.
  • stickywicket
    I quite agree, Rachel, that not knowing is the worst bit. Of course you will take time to adjust and you must take all the time you need. But there are ways and means round most things and we arthritics are an inventive lot. Come here whenever you need to ask questions or just let rip. We do understand.
    Steven Wright
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Hi Rachel and welcome. It can be a huge shock to be told arthritis, especially if you were not expecting it. I can remember having swelling and stiffness for months before arthritis was first mentioned, even then I didn't quite twig it was connected, talk about dense!!! :oops:

This site has loads of great info and plenty of peeps to support and share things with . Ask any questions you may have, or just rant!!!!

Have they told you what they are going to be doing for you? Physio or pain management??
  • RachelCouper
    Hi again. After the initial phone call telling me diagnosis. Saw GP expecting to discuss more specific details and treatment. Unfortunately the information on the xray report is minimal to say the least, and anything not specified has been assumed as not being relevant. So my questions didnt get me very far. When I am a bit more familiar with it will have to go ack and ask gp to write to the person who prepared the report and specifically ask instead of assuming.
    I have been referred to physio, which I in some ways feel is a bit early, and a fob off. I know self management etc is very important, however I dont thinkthey have yet the full picture. My cervical and thoracic spine ahve been xrayed, my knees ankles and hips we havent even discussed. Which now I know I have arthritis those difficulties are very relevamt. It seems these professionalscan only cope with one small detail at a time, and I want to be treated wholistically. I want to know the full picture, every detail, then be aware of all my treatment options and make my choice. Yet I dont have the full facts and have been sent off to physio to be treated like a cattle market. I find it incredibly frustrating.
  • stickywicket
    Yes, I can feel your frustration, Rachel. Unfortunately, I'm not sure whether spondylosis is an auto-immune disease :oops:. I 'd guess not but that really is just a guess. The thing is that rheumatologists deal with the auto-immune stuff and GPs deal with the rest. If yours is not auto-immune, the basic treatments are paindullers and exercise and, eventually, surgery.

The physio will help as it keeps the muscles strong so that they do a better job of supporting the joints hence less pain. A good physio is also a good source of information.

I think you'd get more help with this if you posted it on the LWA forum as more people look in there and, hopefully, some will know much more than I do about your particular form of illness.
    Steven Wright
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Rachel

Welcome to the forum. I am not at all surprised that you are scared, shocked, overwhelmed and upset on hearing your diagnosis - over the phone to begin with too. Not good.

Why not post on the Living with Arthritis forum. You will get more replies there as this zone is more for introductions and not so many of the members call in here on a regular basis.

I am about 9 weeks or so post op from a spinal op (neck end). I understand Spondylosis to be Osteo Arthritis. It may be that the problems you are getting in your knees, ankles stems from the problems in your back.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.