The spirit of Christmas

Options
Poppyg1rl
Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
edited 22. Dec 2011, 15:31 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi all,
I love Christmas and every part of it, the excitement of the many children in my family is infectious! We stuck with tradition this year and my 3 yr old niece Orla duly stirred the mix of the homemade Christmas pud and made a wish, although for safety reasons we didn't put any charms or sixpence in the mix!! My 3 lads are all strapping teenagers but even they get caught up and we're all off tomorrow to watch a pantomime x:-D
It's not always been happy, we lost our precious and much longed for daughter Grace at birth and we lost a beloved child who I had Childminded from babyhood aged 6, just 2 years ago. I can quite understand how people can get very low and depressed this time of year, but, life is for living and I firmly believe our loved ones are never far away, they're always in our hearts.
So, to anyone struggling, in pain, or low, can I say you are not alone, there are so many wonderful and I truly mean this amazing people here on this forum. We are here for you, you are not alone, if we can help we will, EVERY member of this forum is precious and valued.
In the spirit of Christmas can I wish everyone a happy Christmas and peaceful New Year.
'grá agus solas'
'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X

Comments

• joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thank you for your post, Poppy, written in the true spirit of Christmas.

I'm so sorry about your loss of Grace, and also the child who you cared for. I can't imagine anything worse than to lose a child, and it must be very difficult to come to terms with. I'm glad that you have your lovely family around you, and your three boys sound wonderful.

Christmas is always a time of mixed emotions for me because both my parents died on two consecutive years at Christmas, but life must go on, and as you say, they are always in my heart.

As I sat with, and tried to comfort someone who is severely depressed only last Sunday, it was brought home to me how Christmas can be a very difficult time for some people. Problems can be magnified at a time when everyone is expected to feel happy, and some people can feel very isolated and alone.

Like you, Poppy, my heart goes out to anyone who is depressed or struggling in pain at this time of the year, and it's good to know that they can find friendship, help and support on this site.

I hope that you enjoy the pantomime tomorrow, and that you will have a wonderful Christmas.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    always loved going to the pantomime have a great time and loved your post it so true val
    val
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    lovely post Poppy i feel your sadness for your Baby Grace i to lost a son at birth , but have had many a happy Christmas with the people that make the here and now special ,your family will keep the special memories , hope you enjoy the panto its something we always did as a family ,
    Merry Christmas one and all x
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Lovely post from you , Poppy , heartfelt sentiments which we can and should all share . We only have grown ups in our family ; our 3 kids and their partners being deliberately childless to avoid passing on nasty hereditary illness . Our christmas consists of big family get togethers with good food and fun ! We look forward to the whole family being relaxed and free of their work stresses and worries for a few days . Hope everyone enjoys a happy , pain free , christmas and new year . Love and hugs to all ; Jillyb
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    bertyboy wrote:
    lovely post Poppy i feel your sadness for your Baby Grace i to lost a son at birth , but have had many a happy Christmas with the people that make the here and now special ,your family will keep the special memories , hope you enjoy the panto its something we always did as a family ,
    Merry Christmas one and all x

Dear May, I'm so sorry that like Poppy, you also lost a baby. My heart goes out to you both. I went through the agony of not being able to have children, but luckily was able to adopt my twins. I always think of their birth-mother at Christmas, and remember what she went though. I will be eternally grateful to her for what she did in giving up her babies. We are in touch now, so it's lovely for all concerned.

Happy Christmas to you and all.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    That made me cry. May and Poppy I lost my Nephew 26 years ago at birth and I still feel an awful emptiness, wondering how his life would have been. I found it difficult to comfort my Sister but last year I wrote her a letter and felt that was a turning point. We are now able to talk about him, and the events surrounding his birth and death, rather than bottling it all up.

I wish you both well ,

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein