Turkey

tonesp
tonesp Member Posts: 844
edited 25. Dec 2011, 15:49 in Community Chit-chat archive
Don't ever ask a friend to raise a turkey for you Bob brought ours round today After 15 kilos the scales gave up It just fits the oven If we start it at 7.30 Christmas morning it should be ready for New Years Eve Buy a frozen one from your friendly local Supermarket :evil :evil :evil

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Right Tones you are on...we are all invited I take it....I will bring the sprouts.. :lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Ooooooh bugger!, but on the up side it will taste better than the shop born force grown ones and it will have had a better life before it went bye bye's.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    mellman01 wrote:
    Ooooooh bugger!, but on the up side it will taste better than the shop born force grown ones and it will have had a better life before it went bye bye's.
    being a townie like my bird with no feathers or jiblets
    val
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I had a pig once, a Gloucester Old Spot called 'Spot' (original or what? :smile: ) Once dead he was carefully butchered into a variety of smaller pieces and lasted us about a year. Could you not butcher (and freeze the bits you don't immediately require) your turkey? Or alternatively just hack bits off! :grin: I am sure it will taste a great deal better than a shop-bought-mass-produced bird. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    This reminds me of a time when I was a child and my Dad bought a turkey which was so big that it only just fitted in the oven. Half-way through the cooking time, it caught fire and billows of smoke started pouring out of the oven. I have a very vivid recollection of my Dad running down the garden with a flaming turkey while all the family looked on in horror. It was completely ruined, and I think we had beans on toast for dinner that year. x:lol: x:lol:
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    Some of my customers are free range turkey producers and all the years I've dealt with them not once have they ever offered me one...... x:-x
    (tight lot!)
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Roast turkey, turkey sandwiches, turkey curry, turkey soup, turkey stew, not much gets thrown away around here!
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    Airwave! wrote:
    Roast turkey, turkey sandwiches, turkey curry, turkey soup, turkey stew, not much gets thrown away around here!

but fortunately no turkey twizzlers............ x:-D
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • tonesp
    Anyone got a spare commode Apparently this turkey's favourite food was FIGS!!!! :evil :evil :evil
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    tonesp wrote:
    Anyone got a spare commode Apparently this turkey's favourite food was FIGS!!!! :evil :evil :evil

Turkey and figgy pudding all rolled into one x:?: x:lol:
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    lol. Popped into M & S, as you do, the other day, first thing on the chiller shelf was a Turkey, it was £45.00 :shock: :shock: e010.gif I didn't study it in depth, but it was some rare bird, the size of an Ostrich. There is no way it would have gone into a normal oven. We didn't buy one, it would have fed an army.
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    who would pay that and how would you cook it would take all night i want turky and chips now reading all this lol
    val
  • tonesp
    Well We won Th turkey weighed in at 11.8 Kilos.Using a JCB and two crowbars we got it into the oven and left it there for nearly six hours.Rested it for an other hour while we cooked the veg and then cut it I've got to say its the best turkey I have ever eaten It was moist tender and delicious However, Next year its pork.The trauma of waiting for it was just too much Hope everyone has had a great day x:-) x:-) x:-) x:-)