Does anyone have to wear boots in the summer for support?

Options
sailrib
sailrib Member Posts: 327
edited 31. Dec 2011, 02:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
Im just wondering if there is anyone out there that has to wear boots in the summer for support.

It looks like I am going to have to wear boots in the summer but I am wondering what other people do for support for the ankle?

I normally wear Birkenstock sandals for the summer but not sure if they will work now.

Thanks.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Not boots but I have to wear very sturdy surgical shoes all the time. I can't wear ordinary ones and can hardly walk without them. It's a real pain in summer when it's hot. I have a pair of adjustable sandals which I change into for long haul flights or might wear in really hot weather if I know I'm only going to be in the wheelchair but that's it for me. Would an ankle support help? Or would that be just as bad?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • sailrib
    sailrib Member Posts: 327
    Options
    I have foot orthotic on my left foot but also an ankle foot orthotic on my right so makes it really difficult.

I managed to wear my Birkenstock sandals last summer but I now feel like if I want to be able to walk on my feet when I am 30, then I need to be sensible.

Do you buy certain socks to help keep your feet cool?
    I am wondering if there is such thing and that will help.

The boots I have are not very high boots, there more like shoes which are slightly higher, which is a great help to keep me that little bit more cooler. I wouldnt even call them ankle boots. These boots are great, as my ankle's are fine but my subtalar joints are not. They support the right bit.

Thank you x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    I just wear cotton socks. I think it's possible to buy wicking socks. My husband plays golf and loves wicking shirts and jackets but hasn't mentioned socks yet.

I think your idea of planning ahead is really good. I've had RA for 50 years and worn surgical shoes for 35-40 years. For much of that time I had a brilliant orthotist and I'm quite sure he did as much as the surgeons to keep me walking.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • jez
    jez Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Hi,
    I wear ankle boots with orthotic insoles most of the time when i am out i find socks or tights with a high wool content help keep the sweat and smell in check. I have been known to put my insoles in sandals :shock: looks funny but i am past caring .
    I wear ankle boots as my ankles are very easily bruised/damaged, OA + tendon problems + someone drove over my feet some years ago. (car driver lost control went up path = me in way)
    jez