Does DLA only last 2 years?

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited 5. Jan 2012, 17:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,
I have just applied for the third time for DLA. Two times before I got it for two years and I was wondering whether any of you ever got it for longer than that? It's not like I am getting any better so I don't know why they don't just give it for 4 or 5 years so I don't have to fill out that horrible form again and again. Or maybe it's just me getting it for 2 years every time.

Hope you all have a great New Year filled with lots of happiness and without pain.

Comments

• jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've had the highest rate of mobility and care for over 15 years now , my acceptance was marked - indefinite term . I don't know how they figure out the allocation of DLA , but don't be downhearted by the whole complicated process ; keep filling out the forms ! No doubt when the systems change in a year or so , I'll have to deal with all the long winded forms again too . Jillyb
  • tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    Options
    I get high rate mobility and low rate living. I have it for life.
    Having said that when I first got mobility I was given it for 1 year then I had to go back to a different Dr for another examination and got it for another year, then another examination with the first Dr I saw who said "I can't believe they are making you go through this again" That time I got it for life. That was 20 odd years ago.
    It was a few years later I applied for the living part and got that straight away for life.(That is unless the goverment take it away!!)
    Good luck and happy New Year,
    Anita.x
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    It has taken about 4 years and a lot of battling to and fro, but now I have both components on an indefinite basis, before that it was a year, or two years at a time, with repeated form filling and very angry Consultants and GP's. Not sure if indefinite means, for life, we will see. A dissability / illness that is progressive and long term, should mean granting an award for life.
    You take care too, happy new year, X Bubbles
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    mine says on it for life
    colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • sailrib
    sailrib Member Posts: 327
    Options
    I got my granted for 21 years from birth to 21 years.

Then my medical history changed and the reason why I got it before hand was not there but arthritis was.

I now have it for 10 years, when I am 31 years, I will have to apply again. At the moment I only have the care side to it. Maybe when I am 31 years old, I will need more help, I dont know.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Neisa

They want to reveiw us and for NONE of us to be on lifetime awards. There used to be such a term for those who were born with a severe disability for example, but the benefits agency do not want us on it without reveiw.

Indefinite is the term they use now when it is obvious to them that things will get no better, but of coures they can still reveiw that if they choose can't they?

I have to agree with Del - photocopy your forms so it makes the completion of the each time slightly easier.

Love

toni xx
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Options
    Thank you all for your posts and kind words.
    I am still waiting for my reply. This is my third form and the ones before were both for two years and the award was higher mobility and medium care, which I think is adequate. I do keep copies of the previous ones as it makes it easier to apply again. But it takes me 1-2 weeks to do as there is so much to write and my hands hurt so I can't do much at once. I just wish they would give me a break and awarded more than 2 years. Like I said before it's not like I'm getting any better.
    Keep well,
  • theresa4
    theresa4 Member Posts: 696
    Options
    Hi I was awarded it 2 years the first time and 2nd time round indefinate, Im on Higher mobility and middle care.
    Good luck
    Theresa x
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those. --Michael Nolan

Theresa xxx