diagnosed today with oesteo arthritis in my ankle.

KitMcF
KitMcF Member Posts: 16
Hi all. I've had a sore ankle for a few months now, and finally an xray has shown I have osteo arthiritis in it. I was a bit sheel shocked (was expecting xray to show nothing) and she was like ok so losing weight will help (I agree, I do need to lose weight) and take ibuprofen we can do nothing else.

I now have questions I wish I had asked.

could this be casue by a very bad sprain I had 10 years ago? (research seems to say yes)

can I excercise on it? zumba is my favouite class (dance aerobics) and I really miss it.

could I get it in other joints or is it likely to be confined to just this one?

Ive also been reading how rocker bottom shoes - like tone ups can help but doc did not say anything about this. Also about taking glucosimin as a supplement.

Any experience or knowledge welcome. Bit shell shocked!

Comments

• fibro1
    fibro1 Member Posts: 12
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Petal

That is indeed a shock. I was half expecting my FM diagnosis and it was still a shock.

I do not know much about the condition but in my case I found the diagnosis very helpful. It means I can educate myself about it, I can treat it appropriately and learn to manage eventually (i hope). It is better than not knowing, of wondering, of feeling guilty and not knowing what to do to help.

I also think the sprain may have caused it as many people I know have had that happen to them. The gluco supp is good too but I and others are unable to tolerate it though I don't know why.

You're on a journey and you will learn and you will adapt, us humans are a tough species.

Wish you strength and the very best xx
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    KitMcF wrote:
    Hi all. I've had a sore ankle for a few months now, and finally an xray has shown I have osteo arthiritis in it. I was a bit sheel shocked (was expecting xray to show nothing) and she was like ok so losing weight will help (I agree, I do need to lose weight) and take ibuprofen we can do nothing else.

I now have questions I wish I had asked.

could this be casue by a very bad sprain I had 10 years ago? (research seems to say yes)

can I excercise on it? zumba is my favouite class (dance aerobics) and I really miss it.

could I get it in other joints or is it likely to be confined to just this one?

Ive also been reading how rocker bottom shoes - like tone ups can help but doc did not say anything about this. Also about taking glucosimin as a supplement.

Any experience or knowledge welcome. Bit shell shocked!

Dear KitMcF

Dear K

It can be a shock when first diagnosed with a condition and it is usual to have lots of questions about this. There are many ways to use self management to help manage and we have lots of information that you can access that I hope will be helpful to you. Exercise is very important in managing osteoarthritis.so you can ask your GP to refer you. The booklet 'Exercise and arthritis' that you can access on the link http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets/main_content/Exercisebooklet2011.pdf will give you more information on the benefits of exercise. We could not say what the cause is but joint injury may lead to osteoarthritis at the site of injury later in life and the booklet 'Living with osteoarthritis' on http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets/main_content/OAbooklet2011.pdf has more information about the condition, including supplements. Our factsheet on Osteoarthritis of the ankle includes information on footwear. This can be downloaded on the link http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Factsheets/main_content/OAanklefactsheetOct10.pdf I very much hope this information helps and you can always call our helpline on 0808 800 4050 (weekdays 10am – 4pm) if you would like to talk things through with our helpline team.

Best Wishes
    Dawn