A quick yes or no answer

alanthemanc
alanthemanc Bots Posts: 512
edited 25. Jan 2012, 12:17 in Community Chit-chat archive
Can you be a Christian if you are a Tory.

I'll kick it off with an unequivocal NO...... because being a Christian involves having some sort of compassion, end of. Alanthemanc

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Wo! Alan :shock:

yes or No???
  • alanthemanc
    Frog
    Sorry, No
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    There is no quick yes or no answer to that question.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Faith has nothing to do with politics, nor politics with faith, as one changes the individual and the other changes nothing. It's an individual choice as to which is which. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • alanthemanc
    D.D.
    That was so good a reply, I'm a bit taken aback, good stuff as usual. Alanthemanc
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Alan,

They don;t seem to have any care and social conscience..... just not sure Christianity comes into it really.

Alan they are Tory's and they are doing what they have always done... leopards and spots springs to mind there :lol:

I really don't think a yes or no will do it but if want the answer in that way... for me its a resounding NO! but then I am not blue.. :lol: Cris x

hey before I forget how are you keeping?
  • dreamdaisy
    It was a good 'un, wasn't it? Strewth! :) I've no idea where it came from! :lol:

Right, the problem (as I see it) is that each successive administration is occupied with sorting out the perceived 'errors' of the last. Where two or more successive periods of power are a factor then, when the inevitable change happens, there is even more 'sorting out' deemed necessary. Whether Labour or Tory matters not, when the administration changes so does the view on where the country stands. Currently we are in one helluva mess, both economically and socially: the benefits system is a sprawling out-of-control monster that is failing those who genuinely are in need whilst more than amply feeding the 'needs' of those who know how to work it. It's the same with the NHS, the tax system is ridiculously complicated (even the tax bods themselves are at a loss), everything is just an ungainly, lumpen mess. Where on earth does anyone start in trying to rectify matters? And of course that rectifying is not going to go down well with those who are 'doing OK at the moment, thank you' (by whatever method) who may be affected by the measures that need to be put in place.

The colour of the adminstration may change, oscillating gently between blue and red (or in the case of 'Lord' Prescott etc, a kind of muddy purple) but the problems won't: perceived 'error' upon 'error' upon 'error', all piled up like a game of Jenga. Which bit do you push out without toppling the whole tower? Right, it's time for a coffee. DD
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    It was a good 'un, wasn't it? Strewth! :) I've no idea where it came from! :lol:

Right, the problem (as I see it) is that each successive administration is occupied with sorting out the perceived 'errors' of the last. Where two or more successive periods of power are a factor then, when the inevitable change happens, there is even more 'sorting out' deemed necessary. Whether Labour or Tory matters not, when the administration changes so does the view on where the country stands. Currently we are in one helluva mess, both economically and socially: the benefits system is a sprawling out-of-control monster that is failing those who genuinely are in need whilst more than amply feeding the 'needs' of those who know how to work it. It's the same with the NHS, the tax system is ridiculously complicated (even the tax bods themselves are at a loss), everything is just an ungainly, lumpen mess. Where on earth does anyone start in trying to rectify matters? And of course that rectifying is not going to go down well with those who are 'doing OK at the moment, thank you' (by whatever method) who may be affected by the measures that need to be put in place.

The colour of the adminstration may change, oscillating gently between blue and red (or in the case of 'Lord' Prescott etc, a kind of muddy purple) but the problems won't: perceived 'error' upon 'error' upon 'error', all piled up like a game of Jenga. Which bit do you push out without toppling the whole tower? Right, it's time for a coffee. DD

I read your post with great interest DD and I couldn't agree with you more you are so right - IT IS TIME FOR A COFFEE....... :lol:
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • alanthemanc
    Skezier
    Yeh, I'm ok, sort of, if you know what i mean, thanks.

D.D.
    Have you ever thought of a post in a politcal party, you are a bit too good for this place. Alanthemanc
  • dreamdaisy
    Ye gods man, me and politics? No way! :lol: I can't be bothered with all the shenanigans that being political would involve and, let's face it, it's very easy to solve things when one is not in full possession of any facts whatsoever, just one's opinions. :) I will, however, take you to task on one thing: in no way whatsoever am I 'bit too good for this place' because that is palpably not true. Everyone on here has a voice, everyone should be listened to, but whether people will tolerate what is being said is another thing altogether. DD
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    not getting into this one ill be black listed for speaking my mind. and one of the problems with all partys.
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    I think so! or maybe I'm not..............
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    I don’t think there’s any rule on what your political leaning is although having loads of cash is meant to be a hindrance, or is it your not meant to be a rich camel?, anyway that said you try getting your family into St Paul’s in London and you’ll get charged £50 to do so you just can't walk in. That's why I'll stay pagan thank you very much we don't care who or what you are just so long as you treat the world as a biosphere and not a piggy bank to be plundered for gain.

Oh yeah my answer, I simply don't know?.
  • alanthemanc
    Mellman
    Good point, well made, I think it's a bit disgusting that a Christian church , can charge £50 for a family to get in. I'ts amost like saying " anyone poor, doo one ", and don't come back until you've got a few bob.Alanthemanc
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    interesting one Alan. I always class myself as C of E but to be honest, I stopped believing when I was about six. I can't believe you've to pay to get into a church?! Since when?
    I'd probably burst into flames these days anyway, lol..
    Politics? Cannot be bothered with any of them, all a bunch of tossers..
    :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • alanthemanc
    tjt6768
    Good point... well made, just about sums the situation up. Alanthemanc
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    Personally I dislike all politicians, in my opinion they are all tarred with the same brush. And I agree with DD, I don't believe politics have anything to do with Christianity.
    Incidentally, my family and I went to Westminster Cathedral a little while ago, there was no fee to get in, I lit a candle and sat in quiet contemplation in my wheelchair, while my husband and sons climbed the tower and saw the most amazing view over the London skyline, it was a lovely trip. X
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X