G.P Practice

toptottie10
toptottie10 Member Posts: 35
Hello, I have received a letter today from my G.P practice giving one month to change my practice as we are outside the pct district, however we have been with this G.P for the last 32 years at our current address and it has not proved a problem in the past, can they do this ? Can we dispute it ?
I remember reading in the press that everyone could choose their G.P and were not restricted to a certain area is this in force yet?
Sorry for so many questions but i'm really concerned about this as my gp understands my complex medical history she has been my family doctor for 35 years.
Thank you for any support you can offer

Comments

• tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Toptottie

I am not a helpline person, just a forum member but I can understand how distressed you are by what has happened. If it were me, I would phone the practice manager as soon as possible and talk through your concerns - and I bet you won't be the first to do so. Like you, I seem to remember reading about the possibility of choosing a practice, regardless of where you live but I have a feeling this is something which isn't happening just yet.

Tillyxxx
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    Hi
    I had to change GPs when I moved out of their area -15mins up the road, it was not optional I was told to do it. My old GP did not cover my new area but my new GP covered my old area!!!!
  • toptottie10
    toptottie10 Member Posts: 35
    Thank you for your replies, I have spoken to the practice manager and he is going to talk to the senior doctor whom is my gp and get back to me, I allowed him to put across the reason's why then told him that I would fight him all the way to continue with my present GP. My doctor is so supportive of my medical conditions, and there are many......lol. and i'm very lucky that she is upto date with all the benifit forms that are needed.
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Well done for talking to the practice manager Toptottie cos I am sure that wasn't easy. Really hope something can be done so you can stay put.

Really good luck with it all.

Tillyxxx
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Dear Toptottie,

I'm sorry for the delay in replying to your post, but we were very short staffed yesterday. I'm relieved to hear that you've been able to put your concerns to the Practice Manager. If you want any further information on the technical side of NHS proceedures a good place to enquire is the NHS Direct phone line 0845 4647. If you do have to resort to any NHS complaints proceedure they are the best place to be told of the various stages that you can use.

If we can be of further help please feel free to get in touch and I hope you are ok.

all the best

Guy