hospital app

valval
valval Member Posts: 14,911
well have got hospital app(to see rhummy) but as it is an 8 week one the only one i could get is for an afternoon, when should be at work told them today that have an appointment that have not been able to change to a morning.have been trying to get a cancellation but no go so far.
well manager did not say anything, did not ask what time how long i thought it would take just a total blanc what is the official line how should i sort this??? val
val

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Val

I am wondering what it says in your contract. If nothing is stated then it's the pits I’m afraid, as I understand it, it’s employer discretion as to whether they do or don’t pay you to attend appointments, the only medical appointments that are covered are anti-natal ones. I presume you could take it as holiday if you wished, or work extra to make up the time if that is feasible. Nearer the time your manager may well turn a blind eye if the appointment would not take the whole afternoon. Mind you it is 7 years since I worked in an office, probably nothing has changed though, some places of work are good about that sort of thing whilst others are totally unsympathetic.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • valval
    thanks 4 reply do not expect them to pay me that would not be fair. but it would have been nice for positive responce to the news not just total blanc. perhaps it is just me and the way i feel . no my mate says she feels the same way when you have to ask for things you can see how is it going to affect me going through managers mind. but i supose that normal human responce . val
    val
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,482
    Dear Val,

As Elna mentioned it can be worth finding out from colleagues at work / your union / Human Resources what kind of proceedures are normal. Taking holiday to attend appointments is not normally recommended as it sets a precident which is rather against your rights. Our booklet 'Working with arthritis' is worth reading if you've not seen it.

http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets

I hope that is helpful

Guy
  • valval
    thanks guy she was better today lol but it a small firm so no union or hr only 7 of us there including bosses but will see how it goes will not put hol in did for injection but with these app being regular would have no hols left will read booklet think i did when first started here but can not remember val
    val
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi again Val

I get the impression that you like your part time job and it suits you well. To get around it, if your boss continues to be a bit frosty about taking a little time off for health reasons, you could offer to take the time without pay. Obviously you need to take the time off as it is your health at stake here but if you do not wish to rock the boat, which I can totally understand and if you get vibes from the "management" they cannot really argue with that, can they? They will be aware that you are a good/reliable member of the team so I am sure they will not make it really difficult/uncomfortable for you and some amicable arrangement can be reached.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.