Flare, will it ever end?

BikerAngel
BikerAngel Member Posts: 122
edited 30. Jan 2012, 17:49 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi guys, I haven't been on for ages as I have been suffering a flare since Aug but just the last few months it has been so bad I was on crutches for a while as my right ankle is so swollen and sore and can't walk on it then my wrists flared up so bad I couldn't use the crutches so was back to hobbling and got sore back with that so really I am a disaster.
I have the rheumatologist on Wed so he will be getting it with both barrels if he doesn't listen to me this time as the last 3 months back on the leflonamide have done nothing for me.

Last night I went up to have a bath before bed to try and ease the joints and hubby was downstairs watching tv and daughter upstairs on her laptop and when I went to get out of bath my ankle gave way and severe pain shot thru it and my wrists when I tried to steady myself and I slid back down big time into bath smacking my head on the way and giving myself such a scare. I shouted on hubby but he wasn't hearing me so shouted on daughter and nope she never heard so 10 mins of shouting and banging a shampoo bottle on the wall and daughter eventually says what. She got hubby and his response to me sitting in bath shaking and crying my eyes out was "well you better not have a bath yourself again" !!! If I thought it wouldn't have hurt me I would have whacked him one. He helped me out and dried me and didn't see how I was angry with him as if I had knocked myself out I would have prob drowned in the bath and they would have been totally unaware. It gave me a big scare and I deffo will be sticking to showers from now on :roll:
Tracey

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh no. I haven't had a bath for years now - the getting in is easy but the getting out is anything but. If I am severely afectd by a flare then I will only shower with Mr DD in the house - and if that means I have to have one at odd times of the day or night so be it, because I am frightened of falling and knocking myself out. Bathrooms are full of hard surfaces!

I am so sorry the the meds are not addressing the flare but don't get too cross with the rheumatologist 'cos it isn't really his fault. It takes time to discover what helps and what doesn't - do you have a Helpline you can ring for advice? I've rung mine today and I hope they get back to me soon. Let us know how you get on on Wednesday, please. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • BikerAngel
    there might be a helpline but I aint sure as they have never given me information. I am angry at the rheumy as I was on the lef for over a year before and it never worked but he just wanted to try it again instead of sticking me on the anti tnf injections I think it comes down to cost more than anything as my doctor even agreed with me when I went back to him in tears for my prescription he did not understand why I had to go back on it when it did not work previously and why I had not been put on the injectons since the rheumy had wrote that in my notes from last visit that it would be the next step. :roll: oh well Wed will tell I guess. Thanks for your reply :)
    Tracey
  • CJHunter
    CJHunter Member Posts: 1,038
    Hi Tracey, please let us know how you get on wed . I know its hard getting through to them, have you prepared a pain map and wrote exactly down what is happening??
    I for one dont forget as such but dont express how bad it can be if i verbalise.

Hope all goes well, Positive wibes, will be thinkin of you, xx
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Sorry to hear you had such a scare, I am sure the shock won't have helped you. I like DD, am unable to have a bath, and can only shower if hubby is around. I have had so many falls in the bathroom, you need to be careful.

Could you ask OT to come out and assess your bathroom? They may suggest something to make it easier for you. I take a phone into the bathroom, so I can contact someone, if I need to.

I hope your rheumy appt goes well, you deserve somem relief.
  • BikerAngel
    Clare I have filled in that ones you gave me so am armed with the info and have wrote down a few more things so I don't forget :)

Suzy I think I will ask them to refer me back to the OT see if they can give me anything as I am paranoid now and unless I have shower before 8am I would have to wait till 4pm and if going out I like to have my hair washed so I have to get up with hubby and shower before he goes to work and daughter goes to school.
    I am still angry with myself for not thinking about how sore I was and getting hubby to come up in 20mins to help me :roll: serves me right for trying to be miss independant again, you would think I would learn but no it takes something like this to scare me into learning lol
    Tracey
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Tracey, with regards to the phone in the bathroom, I learned the hard way, they cant hear me if I fall!!!!!!

I think you should get back in touch with OT. They are so helpful, and would rather prevent a fall if possible.

I hope you get sorted, we all like to be independent and as much as the shock of a fall is hard, its the loss of independence thats hard.
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Oh dear hun. Sounds like you're having a terrible time of things.
    I really hope that things change for you on wednesday. Count me in for pocket duties, I might have to bring a load of random irish folks with me as I'm in enniscorthy at the minute, and the people here are a pretty friendly bunch so would probably tag along, probably expecting there to be a bar at the other end though :? :lol:

I also gave up with the bath. As our learned friend Madam DD said, getting in, not so bad, getting out, well, sometimes it's like trying to catch a jellied eel with washing up liquid on your hands..
    :shock: Hang on, I've just re read that.. That sounds erm.. A bit weird. Lol
    I'm sure that you know what I meant you mucky minded bunch of arthritics, lol..

Best of luck mi dear, keep us up to date eh?
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP