Attacked by a shopping bag!

joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 31. Jan 2012, 08:55 in Community Chit-chat archive
There I was on Thursday, doing the weekly shop at T***o as usual, when suddenly I was attacked by a shopping bag ( one of those extra-large re-usable ones ) :shock:

I didn't see it coming- it hid among the others looking perfectly harmless until I picked it up from the conveyor belt to move it into my trolley. Unbeknown to me, it was in an evil conspiracy with the woman on the check-out, urging her to pack it with all the heaviest jars, tins, packets etc. in the shop until it weighed the same as a small elephant :!: :shock: She seemed oblivious to the weight of it, and I didn't notice either until I lifted it. But by then it was too late- the bag struck with all its mighty force :shock: :shock:

I felt something twang like a piece of elastic, and then sharp pains shot right across my back. Ouch :!: It really hurt, but like a fool I didn't want to ask for help, so staggered back to the car and loaded the shopping into the boot. That was when the evil bag struck again, even though I took some things out of it........
Ouch :!: Ouch :!: and Ouch again :!: :shock: :shock:

Somehow I managed to drive home before collapsing in a heap, but I've been in agony for a couple of days and hardly able to move. :shock:

So you have been warned:
BEWARE of evil extra-large shopping bags, and don't let anyone pack them with heavy items for you.
They are just waiting for the next victim to attack :!: :shock:

I think I'll shop on-line in future.....it's much safer :!:

Joan
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• PollySid
    PollySid Member Posts: 343
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I am lucky, I have a secret weapon against the evil heavy shopping bags. It is called a Husband.
    One nearly got me the other day when Husband left me to take the trolley back to the car whilst he got a Lottery ticket.
    I was going to put the bags in the car but I saw the big red Iceland bag growling at me when I opened the boot of the car, so I stepped back and waited for my secret weapon to come and tame it.
    I'm not sure what the answer is if there is not a Husband available - maybe make sure the sales assistant knows not to overload the bags, or take your own, smaller bags along.
    I hope your back is feeling a bit better now.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Ah, I empathise Joan. Others do not see the world (or feel it) as we do, yes? Like PollySid I too have a useful gadget, also called a husband (he does the basic weekly shop at a local Tosce's) but he overfills my 'lifetime' bags to such an extent that he breaks at least one a week. And then grumbles at me 'cos they break. :roll: We occasionally shop together and it's not easy, especially when we reach the check-out - basically he has no idea how to pack. A loaf under five tins of stuff? :roll: We have the oddest-shaped toast in East Anglia! I hope your back is easing but they are difficult things to heal. Take care. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    My dear Joan, I'm really sorry to hear of your encounter.. These things should come with a health warning...
    I'm always weary of these beasties... Especially when loaded with bottles of pop or water..

I hope that you are feeling better soon my lovely friend...

Gentle but manly hugs..

((({{{ }}})))
    And purrs from Ra.. :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • joanlawson
    Thank you for your sympathy and good wishes, Polly, DD, and Tony ( and Ra )

One good thing has come out of this nasty encounter with the shopping bag. As I've been in too much pain to move very much, I haven't been able to lift so much as a finger to do any housework etc. since last Thursday. It's been a good excuse to delegate all the usual chores which I dislike, and to give my full attention to painting my next masterpiece, which I can do sitting down.

The pain is beginning to ease slightly now, but I'm taking things very steady, and definitely no more shopping for me this week. Methinks that useful gadget called a husband will be better equipped to do battle with the shopping bag :D
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    One good thing from this , Joan , another of your beautiful pictures to grace the world while you recover . I avoid the attack of the killer shopping bags by doing all my shopping online , no vicious bags allowed in this household . Jillyb
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    sorry joan to hear you hurt yourself with a beastie bag.

My hubby normally does our weekly shop (done it on line for the last two weeks to give him a break :D ) but he also uses the great big bags.
    Trouble is ..,ours makes him run :shock:

He comes home opens doors, goes back to car, gets the massive bags in each hand and runs to kitchen through living room, dumps them on floor, walks back to car and repeats the process :lol:

They are so full (he packed em) that he has to run :lol:

Hope you recover soon
    Take care
    Juliepf x
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hi Joan.
    i hope you are feeling a bit better now. perhaps a shopping trolley would be less painfull.
    good luck with your shopping this week.
    take care and steer away from carrier bags.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    ooh i felt that with you so sorry to hear it. :o I get hubby to do mine. He leaves the bags in the trolley and pushes that to the car. I cannot do that.
    I do end up with sore hands and long orangutan arms very rarely out shopping like at Xmas when i cannot resist a bargain. :lol:
    I mostly behave. I have got a shopping trolley but find i am lopsided pulling that so don't use it much. My son loves it and if he is with me he has to have it. :D
    Next time get a nice young fella to pack your bags and ask if he would mind helping you to your car with them :wink: from joanne
    Joanne
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    I always full the bags while they are in the trolley, one less lift to make.
    I must admit, I usually lift them in but I would hardly be a gent if I made Janet do it. Unless I really cannot.. Most of the time I do it then suffer afterwards..
    Neighbour carries them into the house for us bless him.

Glad things are easing Joan..

Hugs from paddy land :mrgreen:

{{(())}}
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Many years ago I was also attacked by a shopping bag, packed with M&S goodies. A few months later I was attacked again, this time with a frozen turkey shopping bag. I absolutely blame them for my tennis elbows as they were never the same ever again and just got progressively more painful and bent :x .

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • joanlawson
    Thanks to everyone for your good wishes.

When wallowing in self-pity because I was in so much pain that I couldn't either sit, stand, or do anything much, it was very reassuring to know that I had some sympathy :D

Today,for the first time, I managed to get out of bed without staggering around and having to hold onto things like a really old woman ( I'm not that old, although I've felt about 92 this week :roll: ) Hopefully, I'm on the mend now, but I'm never going to lift a heavy shopping bag again.

I think Joanne's got the right idea, so I'll be looking out for a nice young man to help me next time :D
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Actually I do think you can ask for help with packing and transporting to the car. Perhaps you could say in a loud voice why you need the help?

Sorry you are suffering so badly.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein