SSP coming to an end and a meeting at work

PollySid
PollySid Member Posts: 343
edited 1. Feb 2012, 12:56 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am nearly to the end of my 28 weeks SSP and wondering what benefit to go on.
I have a meeting tomorrow at work with a view to finding out what they have decided after receiving the OH Dr's letter.
I have been told (inside info) that they hope to be sorting it out tomorrow. I assume that to mean I will not have a job after then one way or another. It is just a question of how they do it.
I have been reading the posts on here of the claims for ESA that have been refused and looking into claiming Working Tax Credit on my husbands wages instead as he is on a low wage.
If it works out to the amount it gives on the online calculator we will end up with more per month than when I was at work anyway, and no petrol to pay either.
I used to do 24 hours a week, as did my Husband which meant that we could not claim WTC as one of you have to be doing 30 hours.
With Hubby's new job at 30 hours, plus I am aged 60 now we can claim.
I know I am taking the easy way, but I really don't want to go through all the form filling, medicals and appeals associated with ESA.
Also someone in another post said that because they had been on SSP for 6 months they didn't have enough NIC to claim ESA. I can't see how that can be though as you have to be on SSP for 28 weeks before you can claim ESA, so if that is right no-one would be able to claim.

Comments

• laura14282
    laura14282 Member Posts: 7
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi, I don't know anything about WTC or that but I have just come to the end of my 28 week period of SSP and applied for contribution based ESA as my OH works more than 24 hours so I'm not entitled to Income based. My application was refused on the grounds that I have not paid enough NI contributions in the past year. This is because I haven't paid any while on SSP.

I can't imagine anyone in our circumstances getting ESA at the end of SSP period, I have no idea why they bother other than for people who don't qualify for SSP? Who knows. The whole thing is a minefield to me.
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Just a thought. But do you have your P60's from the last 3 years? If so, you can try to ask them to reconsider their decision. If the P60's show you have paid NI, I'm not sure of how many you need, then they may then say yes. i did this last year while I was on long term sick, they refused me on the same basis. so I sent my P60s in, to prove my NI payments and then they paid me.

These people just look at their records on a computer and if the NI is not up to date, they refuse. Employers are not always very good at updating your records, as I found out.

Janie
  • PollySid
    Just a thought - how old are those of you who hadn't paid enough NIC?
    I have gained enough NIC over the years to give me a full pension in 12 months time, but if you are only young and miss 6 months NIC maybe that makes a difference.
  • BikerAngel
    BikerAngel Member Posts: 122
    I was on ssp for the max time limit and I managed to get ESA on credit based as hubby works and I got refused first time after a medical with a nurse that knew nothing about RA and had filled in a heap of rubbish on my form. The welfare rights officer helped me and then I got awarded it. Speak to a welfare rights officer and see what way to go, good luck!
    Tracey
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    I can't see how that can be though as you have to be on SSP for 28 weeks before you can claim ESA, so if that is right no-one would be able to claim.

think it's the contribution based one that you need enough NI contributions.

I can totally understand you not wanting to go through all the hassle and upset of the whole application process though.

Love

Toni xx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Its not really the easy way as ESA is a minefield and a lot of stress. I don't blame you avoiding it if possible. Who wants to sit there and be judged by target-driven know- alls anyway.
    you are very unwell, backed by your GP. You should not have to suffer a drop in living standards because of this. You should be able to rest and pace yourself and not have to worry about going without the basics of life.I hope it all works out for you.

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • laura14282
    laura14282 Member Posts: 7
    I phoned for clarification and was told they look at any 2 year period over the 3 years preceeding the claim. I was told to phone the tax office and ask for a statement of NIC for the past 3 years.

You don't have to have had 28 weeks worth of SSP to get ESA, some people aren't entitled to SSP and some are self-employed.

I am going to get my statement from the tax office and appeal I think.
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    hi Pollysid if you are aged 60 have you thought about pension credit might be worth a look x
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • PollySid
    Hi Berty, Someone did mention that to me, but I think I read somewhere that you can't get it until you get your State Pension, which in my case is when I am 61 and half (thanks to the government moving the goalposts). I'm sure my BIL got it a few years before he was 65 though, but that was 7 years ago and a lot has changed with benefits since then.