Work programme - Advice needed!

SaitenMar
SaitenMar Member Posts: 24
Hello,

I need some help and advice. I will be applying for a work program to help those with a disability find employment and have been given an option of two charities who I can join to help me in the process. Trouble is I'm unsure which option would be best for me. I was possibly hoping if anyone on here might be able to offer some sound advice on all matters surrounding the process. I'm hopeful of it, as I know I'd need the support due to RA but nervous as one group I was put with were simply awful and treated me like... well lets just say some dirt on the bottom of a shoe. That said, they were not a charity that focuses on helping people with disabilities like these two new options I have so I am more hopeful and optimistic. While I won't mention the name of the group who were suppose to help me, I will say that they were removed from service and got rid off I know that. The 'adviser' honestly couldn't have cared less that I had RA, it was so frustrating. Anyway.

The two options I have are Mencap and Beacon Employment. Now these might be regional based only in the West Midlands, but maybe someone might have had dealings with these two charities. Beacon Employment is smaller then Mencap who I know are rather well known. I have spoken and met someone from Mencap and it was rather nice, plus getting to the meetings with Mencap would be easier due to it being local (the Beacon Employment meetings take place further away). I would appreciate any advice from those who have been down a similar path. Having had such an awful experience the previous time I'd be much happier knowing more about it. I'm leaning more towards Mencap, I know they focus more on those with learning disabilities and while the man I spoke to recently stated that they now have to take in a wide range of people with varied medical conditions I would like some reassurance of this. I'd like to know that my area of needs would be met if you understand me.

Any help and advice will be very much welcomed. I'm young still at 23 in a market that (let's be honest) sucks and having RA don't make it any easier. Hoping this program could be the help I need. :)

Thank you.

Comments

• kittymedaughter
    kittymedaughter Member Posts: 81
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hiya.. I noticed 20 people had looked at your post but not replied and it could be that they are a bit confused as i am to what you are actually doing

Are you going to be leading a group of people with disabilities to find work or are you applying to join a group who are looking for work...The reason i ask is that Access To Work are a great help for people with disabilities in the work place - they come in to your work place and do an assessment and they can also help with transport to and from your work place...

Regards
    Kitty
  • SaitenMar
    SaitenMar Member Posts: 24
    Applying to join a group who help those with disabilities look for work.
  • Emily
    Emily Member Posts: 124
    Hiya.. I noticed 20 people had looked at your post but not replied and it could be that they are a bit confused as i am to what you are actually doing

Are you going to be leading a group of people with disabilities to find work or are you applying to join a group who are looking for work...The reason i ask is that Access To Work are a great help for people with disabilities in the work place - they come in to your work place and do an assessment and they can also help with transport to and from your work place...

Regards
    Kitty

I agree they were really good for me in making a detailed report and having to wait for over the becaues manager was not around to assist us with it. AtoW sent my firm a copy of the invoice to get equipment for me this was under £500, now this is a very big company but they have not purchased the equipment for me. Had second accident at work, but manager would not even call first aider? :idea:

Had meeting with manager a yesterday and she asked what painkilling tablets I am on, can a line manager ask an employee what tablets for pain that has been prescribe by their GP. I am on other medication but she only wanted to know what pain killing tablets I was one, I think because I was able to talk, sit and walk she thinks I am do not have a disability. :x :x :x Now if I was in a wheelchair wonder would that make a difference to people like her. :x :x
  • Emily
    Emily Member Posts: 124
    No edit button so when I make mistakes I cannot correct them and I make lot of them lol. :roll:

What it should access to work person waited over an hour before she reached me as the manager was conveniently away, HR are worse than useless and obstructive.