unfare D.L.A

chrisieCL
chrisieCL Member Posts: 11
edited 7. Feb 2012, 08:03 in Community Chit-chat archive
I have lots of conditions e.g artheritus in back (too far gone to operate on) hip, neck, shoulder, clavical... hypermobility / spondulosis / thyroid / asthmatic to name a few... NOT LOOKING FOR SIMPATHY !! as coping in my own way, but sooo fustrated as trying to claim for D.L.A, its a nightmare... MY GRIPE is people with drink and drug problems appear to get this far easier then some-one who has never touched drugs and only a snowball at xmas lol... is that fare?
I know how bad that is as I used to work at a re-hab.. but please put people who have these conditions (heath) first... having to prove how much pain I'm in is sooo difficult.. So I have again applied for it as I'm now not able to get out much .. just asking to keep your fingers crossed for me... Big hugs to all x Chrisie x

Comments

• alanthemanc
    alanthemanc Bots Posts: 512
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    chrisieCL
    Personaly, I dont believe that anyone who has got a " self inflicted " problem, should get a lot of sympathy to be honnest, whereas arthritis sufferers cannot help the situation they are in really. Just my views, Alanthemanc
  • alanthemanc
    alanthemanc Bots Posts: 512
    chrissyCL
    Sorry, forgot to say good luck, hope your situation changes, but you know what is happening under this government . Alanthemanc
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Chrissie

Tricky one isn't it?? The proverbial minefield :shock: So hard to say whether or not people with addictions should be covered by the same benefit as a person who has a physical disability. I bet those in power have had debates about this very subject. I know l have had this discussion so many times with friends, colleagues and family.

I suppose it is self-inflicted to an extent, but then again so are injuries sustained during sporting activities and driving without seat-belts etc. Is a person who is barely functioning due to an addiction in need of support and help to survive?? I would certainly be reluctant to employ someone whose addiction made them a less than reliable employee. That might be why they seem to 'get it far too easily'....???

l think, that l think that, though the causes may not be the same, the outcome may be similar to some disabilities (not necessarily arthritis). An alcoholic may be incontinent, unlikely to eat, or seek medical attention, when it is needed - even dress themselves, so might need to be able to buy in help.

I hope that one day someone finds the answer to addiction. It would be wonderful if 'innocent' people, like those with arthritis or cancer or MS etc were not put in the same category wouldn't it?

I know you understand probably better than most having worked in rehab yourself, just how bad they can be due to addiction.

Anyway Chrissie l can't put it right can l but l can and will keep my fingers crossed for you and hope for the very best that, this time, they grant you your DLA, first attempt and no hassle!!!

Love

and hugs and luck

Toni xxx
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Hi Crissie..
    Maybe I'm harsh but I've no sympathy for addicts.. I don't believe there is a recreational drug out there that you can get addicted to without some form of greed our silliness initially. Even heroin can be taken for many years and a normal life led.
    There are far too many people these days using these things as a cop out from life.
    They are treated way too kindly for my liking. Make them go cold turkey just the way the doctors made me go cold turkey after years of being on dihydrocidiene (basically heroin) it didn't kill me...
    Sorry if I've offended anyone but I really think far too much namby pamby business is going on. They are treated better than us most of the time... Especially the ones who claim to be addicted to cannabis.. It's not possible.. Simple as that. You can become addicted to the idea and the ritual but that's all in the head. There are no proven cases of being addicted to cannabis.. I do know this... From very personal experience.

I'm probably gonna be in trouble now.
    I'm just fed up of being treated the way we get treated by atos etc when these people choose that way of life.. I didn't have a choice when I started with these problems at thirteen years old.
    I did choose to smoke for years and years, by choice. I also chose to stop. And I might add, I didn't need any namby pamby hippy social worker to help wean me off, why? Because you can't get addicted to it.

Sorry, ranting..
    Please don't be offended. Not my intention.. :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I agree with some of what you have to say, Tony, but I disagree on the addiction side of things. I strongly believe that addiction is possible simply because one gets used to the 'better' feelings that come with whatever it is you like and so you seek more and more until, despite the physical and/or mental health risks you still keep going with it - even if it costs you your job, family, housing etc. Luckily, however, the generous state will stump up enough money to help you carry on, and if not you can always burgle, maybe end up in prison and still have access to your heart's desire. If that isn't addiction I don't know what is.

I can safely say that I am not addicted to injected methotrexate (or its ritual of administration) simply because neither it or the Humira change my situation sufficiently for me to notice the difference but the pred? I could quite happily have stayed on lovely doses of that, despite all the risks, simply because the difference it made was almost immediate and wonderful. For the first time I had a slight insight into what drives people to harm themselves with pills, alcohol etc. Like you, I chose to stop and did it without help (apart from all the support I received from the lovely folk on here) but I won't allow myself to resume it. It's too lovely.

These things always begin with personal choice, but once addiction is established that goes out of the window until the addict themselves decides enough is enough - La Winehouse is the prime example of that. Mind you, Billy Holliday was not far behind - the places she used to inject heroin into herself. :shock: It's an age-old problem but yes, it irks me that we, the genuinely sick and disabled, have to jump through so many hoops even to get just a basic level of state support whereas others are handed it on a plate. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Interesting and thought provoking ideas here. But it is not black and white is it? Addiction may start out as a choice certainly but who would really really want to go down that awful slippery slope of wrecking your life completely?

I have found working with heroin addicts and alcohol dependants that there is not one person who have not had some serious problems in their life. Some have horrifc lives, abuse for one and mental illness etc. they turn to crime, lying and as one person put it, cheating sc*m and I'm only worth that. It is sad and soul destroying and at that point is not a choice.

I am just suggesting that addiction can become an illness, it is a pretty terrible mental health illness. However, I think that people who accept rehab, therapy etc to help overcome addiction should be entitled to some
    benefits. If they don't, then benefits should be maybe be suspended, stopped even.

We seek treatment to try and help us with our arthur, and we should have DLA, ESA, etc.

Janie (just a few thoughts written)
  • tjt6768
    Hi Janie.. Thanks for the response..
    I still think addiction isn't an illness, just my opinion though :wink: To me it's a state of mind same as a craving.. and turning to crime? Never an excuse.. Certainly not to be compared with arthritis either. Hope I haven't offended anyone though particularly Janie. :wink:
    And apologies to original poster for hijacking, lol..
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • janie68
    No offence taken at all Tony :D

We all have a voice & an opinion don't we? Be boring otherwise!

Janie
  • tjt6768
    Cheers Janie..
    :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I also stopped smoking through my own choice and without any help. But CHOCOLATE is another issue entirely.

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • janie68
    I like it Elizabeth, bet there's a few thatnwould say the same!

Janie
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Hi Chrisie, D.L.A is a major pain in the behind! and is also very stressful to apply for. One of the best things to do is to get people like your G.P to write a letter supporting your case for D.L.A, and if you have a care report from the O.T photo copy that and put it in. The best thing to do is think of anything you have letters reports anything that supports your case of being ill and disabled photocopy them and put it in with the forms. And any friends or neighbours who know you, get them to write a letter expaining how they know you and get them to explain how the disability has effected you doing normal day to day things and how it has changed you. That's what I did and it did help!! Hope it helps you. And good luck with trying for it, hope you get it.
  • tjt6768
    Hi Crissie. Just wondered how you were doing?

Hope all is ok.. I'm still waiting to hear from my assessment. I hate this.. Don't they mess us around?
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • chrisieCL
    chrisieCL Member Posts: 11
    Hi all ... many thanks for all your reply's ... it does make you think .. and all sympathy to those adicted .. it's true, they usually have a trauma in their past lives that put them on a course of drug / alcohol road .. but 2 alcoholics I know get a huge amount of D.L.A ect and spend most of it on their 'drug' ... I just want a mobility scooter so I can walk the dog again ... a tens machine to help pain control ... this is the second time ive applied but this time I have an M R I scan of my spine, that says it is so far gone its past operating on ... as well as all the other conditions I have .. this time I will fight to the death lol... : )) wich ever way it goes will post result x THANKS AGAIN to all you amazing people that understand when we have a moan ... and then find something to make us smile again on here !!!! hugs to all xxxxx
  • tjt6768
    They shouldn't receive any DLA just cos they're alcoholics.. Ridiculous, no wonder there is no money to pay us genuine claimants :x
    There are many of us who have suffered traumas and horrific things through our lives, we just don't cop out of life..
    Sorry, ranting..
    :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    tkachev wrote:
    I also stopped smoking through my own choice and without any help. But CHOCOLATE is another issue entirely.

Elizabeth x

If there is a rehab for chocolate addiction may i join you :D:lol:
    Joanne
  • tkachev
    suncatcher wrote:
    tkachev wrote:

Elizabeth x

Hi Joanne, I think the heart has to be willing for Rehab to work!

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • RoseEllen
    RoseEllen Member Posts: 24
    tkachev wrote:
    suncatcher wrote:
    tkachev wrote:

Elizabeth x

Hi Joanne, I think the heart has to be willing for Rehab to work!

Elizabeth

May I join too?????? I adore chocolate, especially cad***ys!!!
    ROSE ELLEN
  • soraya
    soraya Member Posts: 108
    Hi Chrissie i have just got my dla even though it took me two days to complete the form i just said how it was pain from the minute i woke to the minute i fell asleep, had a couple of good days but still with restrictions, and the rest of the week was a battle with pain movement and falling alseep constantly if you would like any more advice pm me and i will help all i can sending hugs soraya (((( ))))
  • tkachev
    Hi Rose Ellen.

The more the merrier!

Good luck Chrissie. Keep on keeping on!

Elizabeth x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein