looking for work

flossy47
flossy47 Member Posts: 171
I think I am being discriminated against when I go for job interviews. I can't prove anything but in over a year of unemployment and numerous interviews I have so far been unsuccessful.
Do I have to mention my IA? Can they ask about any existing medical conditions?
Flossy

Comments

• CJHunter
    CJHunter Member Posts: 1,038
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I felt the same when I was attending job interviews, although you can never prove anything.
    It has taken me 18months to get back into the saddle as it were. I did find that showing you are able to volunteer helps asemployers like that.

Yes you do have to mention it at some point, so bestget it out of way.

Good luck with job hunting, all the best.
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    if you do not mention it then they can use it as grounds for getting rid of you. but keep going it is a bad time for job hunting so do not give up hope val
    val
  • PollySid
    PollySid Member Posts: 343
    I have decided that I am going to mention it in my application letter and then at least if I get an interview they already know.
  • flossy47
    Thanks for the replies. I've got an appointment with an advisor at the centre on Wednesday so I will ask him for some suggestions on what to do. My IA isn't a major problem at the moment but I do get nasty flares in my hands which stop me doing alot of things. I've already had to stop doing one job because I also have carpel tunnel in both wrists.
    Flossy
  • flossy47
    Well that could have gone better. Jobcentre advisor basically told me not to tell prospective employers about my IA until they offer me a job. Don't think that is a good idea personally.
    Flossy
  • justinbarrow
    justinbarrow Member Posts: 338
    PollySid wrote:
    I have decided that I am going to mention it in my application letter and then at least if I get an interview they already know.

Its better to mention it upfront rather than later as some can be funny if you mention it later but understand it makes you feel as if you should mention it in case it goes against you which shouldn't be the case.
  • flossy47
    I've now been out of work for almost an year so next time I have to see my advisor he is going to put me on the Work Programme. Not sure what this involves but I will find out in a couple of weeks. Just applied for a couple of jobs so I am keeping my ache swollen fingers crossed.
    Flossy
  • flossy47
    Still no luck. I've lost count of the applications I've done in the last year. I either don't get a reply or I get "thanks for your application but we've had alot of replies from more qualified people". I'm getting so frustrated and beginning to think I am too old to find a job. I'm only 47 and I think there's still a few years in me before everything gives up on me. I've done some research on this Work Programme thing and I'm hoping that this scheme will help. If not I don't know how much more rejection I can take.
    Flossy
  • matcamgem
    matcamgem Member Posts: 2
    Hi

, I had the same problem, I use walking aids sometimes as my OA is fairly bad most days, I get tired easily and struggle to get goin g in the morning, I kept going to interviews in the end i just got so depressed after being rejected i really felt i was being discriminated against, when i mentioned it to a adviser at my local jc the advisor said well dont use your walking aids as it will put people off from hiring you, i then said but surely that would be discrimination she told me that OA wasnt covered by that as it fluctuates and isnt seriously painfully all the time, my health issues werent her concern

There doesnt seem to be to much sympathy at my local jc for people who suffer from OA, in fact she said it wasnt a true disability.

Anyway In the end I figured id help my self basically I decided to set up my own business as no one else was going to help.

Has anyone else had this sort of problem from a JC advisor?.