I think I have a Baker's Cyst

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 2. Feb 2012, 10:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone, , I hope you are all as well as you can be. I have a lovely, spongy sac of fluid behind my right knee, it's shaped like a small pillow. It hurts when I press it so I'm not doing that any more! :) I don't know how long it's been there but now I am aware of it and that is probably a good thing. Is this a matter for a GP or my rheumatology helpline? I know that quite of few of you on here have had them and I would welcome any advice you can give me. Thank you. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Not had any experience of them hun, but good luck with it.
    Sure someone much wiser than me will pop along soon.
    :wink:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Ouch, sounds painful..
    I know of someone recently who went about a lump on there knee and doc prescribed some cream..
    Looks like a gp vist luvie..Hope you get it sorted soon..xx
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hello everyone, , I It hurts when I press it so I'm not doing that any more! :)

:wink:

What are you like?? Very wise not to poke things which hurt! I think most folks see the GPs with these DD so in your position l would happen along early this week if you can.

I do hope it can be sorted out for you very soon

Love

Toni xxx
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hi DD.
    i'm sorry you have that you have enough problems you dont need any more.
    i have not had one of those my neighbour has the same thing.
    take care i will be thinking about you.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Ouch , DD , poor you ! Think this is GP problem ; I understand part of the treatment is to keep the leg elevated and rested so please try and do that . Hopefully , it will ease by itself as sometimes happens , but you may need the fluid drained . I'm thinking of you , sounds painful and uncomfortable . Jillyb
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Hi DD,

I do hope that is not the Bakers Cyst but only a trip to the doctors can confirm this for you. :(
    Bite the bullet time I think and make that telephone call for an appointment first thing tomorrow.

Beep from Jessicar to Daisy,

I x
  • dreamdaisy
    Thank you one and all for your responses. It is OK-ish, I am aware that it is there, I can't feel it (apart from its pain) when I am sitting with the leg elevated but when I stand up it's definitely there! I won't bother ringing the GP tomorrow morning - I won't get through for starters - but I will try on Tuesday. If it is indeed a B'sC and it needs draining I hope to whoever that it's done from the cyst itself. :shock: Me and knee-draining are not comfortable bed-fellows. DD
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi DD
    My Oh had one last early lasts year, he hadn't a clue he had it, till it burst, they did treat him for a DVT ,because his calf was so swollen and painful , till he had a scan and found out what it was.
    So I think you should go and see your GP so that they can get it drained, much less painful .good luck with it all.
    Love
    Barbara
  • CJHunter
    CJHunter Member Posts: 1,038
    Hi DD, i cam up with a lump on side of knee the other morning, didnt notice it till i got to work. Got more painfull throughout the day so managed to get app to see doc.
    It turned out to be (scuse spelling) Phlebitis, which is inflamation of the vein, he gave me some cream (which i have been told works) i see him again this week. Its very painfull, especially if poked too,lol or standing n walking think its cos of its position.
    Anyhow all the best.

Get it seen asap
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    Hi my lovely,
    I'm so sorry to read about your poor knee, it must be miserable for you.
    You're a wise lady so I know you'll get it checked. I'm hopeful though that if it is a bakers cyst it can be treated fairly quickly.
    I know it's tough DD, youve had to deal with an awful lot of dross PA and OA wise, hopefully now this will be the end of it, and the rest of 2012 will be better for you.
    Thinking of you, and sending you some of these (((((()))))) Xxx
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • dreamdaisy
    Thanks to your wonderfully worded reply, Del, I now have that sensation outside my leg! As my mate Linda says 'Laugh? I thought my leg would never dry!' :lol: Alas no Clatter-in clinic is available around here (well as far as I know) but I promise I will be sorting this out tomorrow. It is uncomfortable (but then what isn't? :roll: ) but entirely manageable.

I will be ringing the rheumatology helpline today to let them know my legs are smothered with lots of little bruises, incuding one set that actually look like a constellation. They have emerged since I began the diclofenac ten days ago (this was prescribed by my GP to help the pain of a pulled chest muscle). Regardless of what the helpline doesn't say (I won't hold my breath for them to be ringing me back) I shall trog off to the hospital later for a blood test just in case anything is amiss.

Once again thank you all for your lovely replies, what a grand place this is for support and friendship. DD
  • williamlargs
    williamlargs Member Posts: 143
    Hello DD

I knew I would be of some use again eventually.

Two years ago and in RA remission a bakers cyst (I knew someting was there but didn't know what) ruptured behind my left knee. Truth is the first I knew of it was when my leg blew up below the knee. It was a Saturday so I went to the weekend surgery and was told to get my **** to hospital immediately as they thought it might be a blood clot.

I had been feeling a bit 'fluey' a couple of days before this which turns out was the beginning of a flair. Anyway turns out it was a bakers cyst but as was correct procedure I still had to be treated as though I had a blood clot till they could rule it out. This consisted of a daily visit to the hospital for 10 days for an injection of warfirin!!!

It wasn't long after this till I was back at my rheumy after an absence of 2 years, and on to MTX I went. As you know this has worked a treat for me.

A bakers cyst, named after the chap who discovered it, is RA related, reatively harmless I think until and if it ruptures.

Keep your eye on it my good friend but hopefully it won't do you any harm. You have enough to contend with!!

By the way my knee got really sore and stiff for a couple of days before it ruptured. Hope this helps.

W
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Morning DD

ooooh sorry about the lump, sounds painful :( but...stop poking it :lol:

I hope you manage to get some advice today, either from the hospital or your gp and that it can be sorted soon.

Take Care
    Thinking of you
    Juliepf x
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello Williamlargs! How lovely to hear from you (and you are always of use) and thank you for the information. I am currently feeling as rough as guts (Flare? Bug? Who knows?) so I must honestly report that I have done nothing about this lump (which comes and goes) simply because I cannot be Harrised. Shameful and shocking but truthful.

As for my lovely flamingo, bless you and thank you. DD
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    DD, sorry to hear you are feeling so rough. I don't know much about a bakers cyst, but I can understand the lethargy re a doc visit. It takes so much effort, for so little gain sometimes. Lets hope you improve soon.

Its very cold, so keep warm and rest up.

:D
  • dachshund
    Hi DD
    i'm sorry you have so many thing's going on causing you
    pain it's about time they all left you alone.
    have you had some crumpets it sound's just what you need.
    take care.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Del! Je suis astonished, I can't believe you remembered about the zebra! Believe me that blasted beast is alive and ******* well kicking. If I could only return to those easy days of the unicycle: why is that we never know when we are well off? :roll: DD
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Morning DD

I hope things are settling down for you and that today you are feeling a little better.

Love & Hugs ((((())))) juliepf x
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Hello DD
    I had one a couple of years ago my knee and from my knee down swelled it caused me a lot of pain. it was bad but anti biotics sorted it.
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • dreamdaisy
    Well, whatever it was has gone for the time being, so I guess my self-diagnosis may have been erroneous! :) I've noted its appearance in my cheerful, optimistic and universally positive journal that records such matters ( :roll: ) and will wait to see if it re-appears. If it does, then I'll go to the docs. Thank you all for your messages, I appreciated them very much. DD
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Bumped up for Karenjane.

Tilly
  • dachshund
    Hello DD.
    how are you getting on and how is your knee.
    i hope you are having a good day.
    take care and try and take things a bit easy.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx