how could i have been so STUPID

mig
mig Member Posts: 7,154
edited 25. Feb 2012, 03:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
So all my problems with panic attacks and restless legs are thru my taking more dihydrocodiene than prescribed,the more i took the more i wanted and i didnt really need such a strong med for my pain,liver is down to near normal after my latest blood test so it could possibly be the lef but we dont know for sure.
So hubby and i went to see gp this morning(poor **** i hadnt even told him what i had been doing)gp said first thing its easily done without realising whats happening and together we will sort it out,i was only taking 6 a day which she said was a low dose to get hooked on,so for the first week its5 a day and so on,i have to see every week to see how im doing.
Idid try to go cold turkey but it was pure bloody hell thats when i knew i needed help.
Please be careful with your meds as our DDsays they are powerful things and please nobody shout at me im feeling very delicate.Mig

Comments

• BikerAngel
    BikerAngel Member Posts: 122
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Omg that is so scary glad they found out what was up and it is easily sorted. I have dihydrocodeine 30mg and was prescribed 2 as required but they made me feel woozy and made me so sick so we have ditched them and now trying codrydamol but they don't seem to cut it with the pain but have to give them a chance so will keep going to see if they eventually work. Take care and hope you feel better soon x
    Tracey
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Hey Mig glad to hear the news and its getting sorted.
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Aw Dear Mig,

I really do admire you that you have admitted to us what actually happened. I have not been in that position but can well understand how meds could become addictive and you hear of people going to great lengths in hiding their "addiction" and going through hell in all manner of ways.

You were able to admit to yourself that it was all becoming a vicious circle, which I admire greatly too and that was the first thing that you had to do, to get help. Along with your supportive hubby and gp you are on the way to lowering the dosage to a reasonable strength for you.

It is so good of you to remind us all how meds can be abused. You are a real sweetie. I bet you feel so much better already with that great weight off your mind and it is in the open now.

Loads of fluffy hugs to you,

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    My darling girl, why on earth would we shout at you? It's a scary thing to have happened but it's good that you now know the reason behind everything and that you should, with time, be able to sort it out. Shout at you? No way, José, I applaud you for finding the courage to address this and getting it sorted. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • roses1
    roses1 Member Posts: 1,850
    hear! hear! DD
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Hi Mig,

You are not stupid just caught in the net, trying to get a bit of relief but actuall making things worse. Many people have been caught like you, the Dr. should be keeping a check on your meds. I always thought Drs. had to check any aditive medicine but I don't think many do mine never checks anything. So glad to hear that your Dr. is there to help you get you back on track.

Love
    Vonski x
  • mig
    you are all being so kind i am sitting here with tears dribbling down my chin.hubby is dishing out the pills at certain times so its out of my hands for a week at least.bless you all Mig
  • elnafinn
    Bless you too Mig :)

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Mig, glad you have such a lovely hubby and good gp. WEll done for trying to sort out the problem, I wish you well and hope it all goes smoothly.
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Oh Mig when I saw your post I just had to reply because I think you are very brave for facing up to what's been going on. I too am sitting here with tears rolling down my face because I have been using my pain meds (and alcohol) as a prop because I am struggling to cope and know I have a problem and am very ashamed but have not yet felt able to deal with it. So pleased you have a supportive GP and a supportive and understanding husband and really hope that, once you can get the meds out of your system you will start to feel better.

Thinking of you.

Tillyxxx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    hi this is so easy to do i have to put my meds out each week or i just can not remember what i have taken especialy if taking pain meds they mess with my head so glad you felt able to share with us take care you will get there val
    val
  • dreamdaisy
    Oh dearie, dearie me, you know what my lovely? There but for the grace of whoever . . . . .

Many of us struggle and no doubt more than a few of us find ways to 'manage' with ways that are not 'approved' or 'sanctioned' by those who think they know better but, until they face what we face, I reckon it's probably best to ignore them. Meanwhile, I doff my cap to Mr Mig for being so supportive. ((())) DD

PS You know what, girl? Wear that beautiful (if slightly grubby) turquoise cardi with pride. You made it and that is what matters.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Mig
    Glad you got that sorted out......its so easy to do. I would think docs would keep an eye on addictive meds....mine did when I was on morphine for a while but codeine which can be addictive....never asks.
    I can imagine what it must have done to you.,......I was on it for a few days and I was completely out of it.....I drive and needed to drive ....no way could I do that so I binned them.
    As for shouting at you.....dont be so silly
    You are very brave.
    Take care
    Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello mig, how are you feeling today? A little less delicate I hope, and somewhat proud of yourself too because you should be. Right, brace yourself: (()) DD
  • mig
    Morning all,So took pills 3 hours apart could only get 4 in as we didnt get back from gps till lunch-time,she gave me some diazipam to be used only if absolutely nessary,havent taken any but had one on bedside table knowing it was there helped,slept reasonally well and woke up in early hours for a while butmanaged to get off again which before i hadnt been able to do,having all out in the open has helped alot.
    So today its 4 hours apart should be able to manage to get them all in,hubby is in charge of all pills for now (think hes on a power trip).
    So now started to feel a little edgy as it near time for next pill,so came on here to try and take my mind off it.Thank you all for kind words and support.Mig
  • elnafinn
    Dear Mig

You are doing so well, I was just going to close down as I have to catch a train but wanted to have a few words with you. :)

You are being a brave girl and it can only get better now. As you say, with the problem shared you are feeling heaps better just because of that.

Deep breathing, my lovely, all will be well. :)

Gentle hugs
    Elna x

• jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Hope you're coping ok today , Mig , feeling nothing but admiration for the way you're managing this . Your hubby is entitled to his mini control power trip because it's done with such love and understanding . You're one brave lady . Jillyb
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Mig, you are doing well. Take one day at a time. Your hubby is there to help you, and we are all supporting you as well. :D
  • mig
    Managed to get thru the night and didnt have any pills till 8.30 which makes the next one 12.30-1.00 will try and last a bit longer.Mig
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Amazed how well you're coping ; keep it going and hugs to your supportive hubby . Jillyb
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Mig

you are doing so so so well :)

l am totally in awe and proud of you.

Love

Toni xx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Hi Mig I am so sorry that I missed this post :oops:
    I just wanted to say I also am very proud of you and I am so pleased that you have a lovely caring husband and a good gp.

Take care
    Love & Hugs Juliepf x
  • cakegirl
    cakegirl Member Posts: 50
    mig wrote:
    So all my problems with panic attacks and restless legs are thru my taking more dihydrocodiene than prescribed,the more i took the more i wanted and i didnt really need such a strong med for my pain,liver is down to near normal after my latest blood test so it could possibly be the lef but we dont know for sure.
    So hubby and i went to see gp this morning(poor **** i hadnt even told him what i had been doing)gp said first thing its easily done without realising whats happening and together we will sort it out,i was only taking 6 a day which she said was a low dose to get hooked on,so for the first week its5 a day and so on,i have to see every week to see how im doing.
    Idid try to go cold turkey but it was pure bloody hell thats when i knew i needed help.
    Please be careful with your meds as our DDsays they are powerful things and please nobody shout at me im feeling very delicate.Mig

hi mig

just wanted to offer you some support, my sister got hooked on codeine last year. she started off taking dihydracodeine after a knee opp (she suffers with bipolar also) and found that the codeine was helping combat her anxiety. in a nutshell, she ended up on about 16-20 per day !

it was only when she was frequently asking members of the family could she 'borrow' some codeine as her presc wasn't ready and a number of other excuses that we started to feel there was a problem.

Anyway, in the end she actually went to the doctors herself and admitted what she has been doing. Her doctor told her it was actually quite common and put her on a detox programme. She's now 'codeine free' and is training to become a mentor herself for the programme to help others.

There's no way you're at that stage but just wanted you to know that you'll get there. I take codeine myself but prob about 3 a day (30mg) but it does worry me as I appreciate how addictive they can become.

Good Luck with things xxx
    Cakegirl xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello Mig my lovely, how are things going now? You have made such a good start and I hope things are still progressing well for you and that you are feeling as well as possible. DD
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    Hi Mig,
    I just wanted to tell you that I think you are an amazing lady, you've been so honest and open, and you're dealing with this problem so well. I'm sure your hubby and GP are proud of the way youve tackled this, I know that we all are :D
    Keep going Mig, big hugs (((((()))))) Xxx
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X