Hi everyone diagnosed today with pa

Darwin
Darwin Member Posts: 45
edited 17. Feb 2012, 13:30 in Say Hello Archive
Hi all, today I have been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis.I am 27 and have been experiencing all sort of symptoms for about 5months now.I am a keen football player and worried I will not be able to play again, I am also a bricklayer and have been off work since this all started. To be honest it has all happened rather quickly and has hit me for six. I am going to be taking sulfasalazine. I am not sure what to expect over the next few years and for the rest off my life really. Will I get better? Will I get worse? Will I be able to play sport again? So many things going around my mind at the moment. If anyone has any advise or information for me it would be much appreciated.
Mike.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Mikey. Welcome to the forum. It's a tough diagnosis, especially in view of your very physical job and love of football, and you must feel right now as if you're caught up in some sort of nightmare and hoping to wake up soon.

Well, the good news is that you're one of the 'lucky' ones who have been caught early and the earlier the better as far as these things are concerned.

The bad news? No-one can really predict the future. Certainly not us forum members who are just fellow sufferers with no medical training. But even doctors would be hard pushed to say how things will be for you as we're all different and we all react differently to the meds. With luck, your disease will respond to the sulfasalazine and you may well be able to lead a normal, or near normal life. Some people take a while to find a med which 'does it' for them. For the unlucky few there is a lot of trial and error, occasionally with not much reward.

Hopefully, you will not be one of these. You must be physically fit which will stand you in good stead. Remember that those whose lives are largely unaffected by their arthritis rarely come on here - they're out playing football or bricklaying or doing 101 other things. Have a look at some of AC's Publications & Resources (Top right). You may find them of help. I hope all goes well for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Hello Mikey and welcome to the sight Please venture onto the other forums with any questions you might have.
    I cant tell you anymore than sticky its a tuff world people like us live in. I too have PA and Ra to boot. As sticky says early diagnosis seems to be one of the best things as they can treat it early do you have the Psoriasis
    as well like i do. I know its a bugger trying to work with the sort of pain your having and your job is hard enough. I got 30 years from being diagnosed to having to stop work. and i know people who have never had a problem with it it all depends on so much and getting the right meds.
    Well take care mate
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • ficox69
    ficox69 Member Posts: 4
    Hi. I have had pa for 3 years. Previously I was quite high level in sport and coaching. Up to diagnosis and 6 months after while the drugs kicked in I was a mess. High level of flare ups, extreme fatigue etc. An all over steroid injection helped me till the drugs started to work. I now function very well. work full time.3 kids. I have occasional flare ups but manageable. I would advise you to not be shy when it comes to managing your condition. If the drugs don't work, push to try something else. I am 53. My downfall, after all my worries about the pa ruining my life has ironically been the oa in my neck! Good luck.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Hi Mikey

lovely to meet you though l suspect we may have alreday 'met' in the LWA forum?? :) anyway welcome form me too.

Love

Toni xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    ficox69 wrote:
    Hi. I have had pa for 3 years. Previously I was quite high level in sport and coaching. Up to diagnosis and 6 months after while the drugs kicked in I was a mess. High level of flare ups, extreme fatigue etc. An all over steroid injection helped me till the drugs started to work. I now function very well. work full time.3 kids. I have occasional flare ups but manageable. I would advise you to not be shy when it comes to managing your condition. If the drugs don't work, push to try something else. I am 53. My downfall, after all my worries about the pa ruining my life has ironically been the oa in my neck! Good luck.

Hi ficox

just popped in to say hello. So the neck's getting to you most....it is vile though isn't it? Plenty of neck and PSa people on here so come on in and join us

Love

Toni xx