What am I going to do?

Darwin
Darwin Member Posts: 45
Hi all,I am 27 and have only ever worked in the building trade I don't have any qualifications in anything else. Friday I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis, I have already been off of work for 3months and am sure there is no way I can return to such a heavy labouring job.especially considering I have aprox 40years left of work.I live with my wife and two young children we are always tight for money even when I was working so being off is even more difficult. I need to get back to work but I have no idea what I am going to do.

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    first do not panic it early days and you are in a bad place with help your life will improve so do not give in i know it so hard but life can inprove with the right meds you might be able to retrain if you can no longer do the job that you have at present it a long trip and it will be full of ups and downs but it to early to tell how it going to end val
    val
  • petals
    petals Member Posts: 217
    Hello Mike,

I am so sorry to hear this. I have had my own battles in the work place and I know first hand how hard it can be.

Is there any chance that you can roll swap with your wife and allow her to work for a while so that you can have a little time to get yourself together and recover from the shock that such a diagnosis is bound to bring.

It is possible to retrain, I have trained in 3 different jobs since I developed RA at the age of 48. Re-training has been successful but its my attendance record that lets me down. I dream of giving up work but as a single parent I am stuck for the time being.

Good luck Petals x
  • Darwin
    Darwin Member Posts: 45
    Hi Val and hi petals thanks for your replies, I think I am just panicking a little bit.I am still trying to except that my life isn't going to be the same regarding work and sports. I have thought about retraining maybe photography as i already have a passion for this. Training isn't cheap though do you know if I could get funding for this? Thanks again.
  • petals
    petals Member Posts: 217
    Hi Mike,

The first place to start is your local college of further education. Some courses are free or on reduced rates for people on low income. They can provide you with a list of available courses and the appropriate costs involved.

I wish you well, let us know how you get on.

Petals x