Diet tips for Lupus sufferers please

Options
keldi
keldi Member Posts: 53
Hi, I joined the forum several months ago when it was thought that I had arthritis, my diagnosis was changed three weeks ago when it was discovered that I in fact have Lupus. I am taking a cocktail of meds and I am pleased to say that they are having some effect. I have heard that diet can also play a big part in preventing Lupus flare ups. I have been on many web sites looking for a list of foods that I should either be including or excluding from my diet and they all seem to contradict each other. I know that I should eat more fish and I already eat a lot of fresh fruit and veg and use low fat dairy products. Can you help with a simple list of do's and don't s regarding a healthy diet for Lupus sufferers.

Many thanks

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,488
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Keldi

Thanks for your posting.

The only information we have on diet and Lupus is in the following booklet on page 16. See http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/Files/2023-Lupus.pdf.

It says that 'there is only limited evidence available on the effect of diet controlling lupus,though there is evidence that a diet low in saturated fat and supplemented by fish oil may be helpful. Lupus is an active autoimmune disease and you need all the nutrients that a well balanced diet will provide.Consult a dietician if you need more specific advice'.

For general information on diet see our booklet on Healthy Eating at http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets/main_content/HealthyEatingbookletMarch11.pdf. You can also contact Lupus UK at www.lupusuk.org.uk as they may have more specific information.

You are welcome to ring the helplines on 0808 800 4050 if you would like to have a chat about your current situation.

Regards

Nick
    Helplines Team
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Hi, I have lupus and if you go to Lupus Uk, they have a page on the site that tells you what you must avoid with lupus such as alfafa sprouts which can cause a flare. A lot of supplements etc are not viable for lupus sufferers either.

Hope that helps
  • Sullie
    Sullie Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Moderation is the key to following any diet plans. It is advisable for lupus patients to eat food items having polyunsaturated fats compared to items having saturate fats. This is because saturated fats tend to be pro-inflammatory.