Replacement problems

tonesp
tonesp Member Posts: 844
edited 4. Mar 2012, 07:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
Anyone read today's Sunday Telegraph? Seems there is a problem with metal to metal hip replacements Any done before 2010 has the chance that there will be microscopic particles wearing off the joint and causing chemical poisoning to the body I had mine done in late 2010 here in Spain Haven't a clue what they used just hope all will be well :shock: :shock: :shock:

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Tony

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9047104/Young-mothers-left-with-lives-of-fear-and-pain.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/9047087/Health-warning-over-hip-implants.html

I wondered whether anyone would report on here about the front page news in the Sunday T.

May not be a bad idea to find out what type they used for you, Tony. That should not be too difficult to find out should it? Those two mums were having a terrible time as a result of it all. My heart goes out to them and everyone affected by it.

I wonder if it will be knees next ......... :mrgreen:

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Thanks Tones and Elna...now I knew there was a good reason I put off having mine done....see Im psychic.. :o:o:wink:
    Love
    Barbara
  • daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    Hi
    I was one of the unlucky ones who got the 'side effects', had mine done in 2007 and it has taken me until September last year to get it fixed.
    Over 4 years of pain and limited mobility all while looking after my disabled hubby.
    I feel as if we were guinea pigs in the early days.

Had a total hip replacement to a ceramic in September last year and it feels great, it's been a total of 7/8 years with a dodgy hip.

Must say it feels great to be 'normal' again
  • elnafinn
    Hi Daylily

I am so sorry to hear that you were one of the many very unlucky ones that suffered and for so long. Thank goodness, at last you and your new hip are friends.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    tonesp wrote:
    Anyone read today's Sunday Telegraph? Seems there is a problem with metal to metal hip replacements Any done before 2010 has the chance that there will be microscopic particles wearing off the joint and causing chemical poisoning to the body I had mine done in late 2010 here in Spain Haven't a clue what they used just hope all will be well :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hi tones

I had a THR a while before you did. I remember from my medical notes that it was a Du Puy so I phoned the ortho secretary this morning and she told me that whilst it is manufactured by Du Puy
    mine was a Charnley stem and ball (have a feeling that the cup/ball part is ceramic, so not metal on metal).
    Then on phoning the Du Puy helpline as in the Daily Mail this morning, was told that the Charnley is not under recall, just the ASR XL. Was glad to hear that although I have to say I dont have any problems with the hip that was replaced, just all the other flipping places. :roll:

Kath
  • jan50ish
    jan50ish Member Posts: 47
    Oh, I have just done a long post about me and my hips, clicked on preview and its gone. was it too long,is there a counter. I will try again later!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    jan50ish wrote:
    Oh, I have just done a long post about me and my hips, clicked on preview and its gone. was it too long,is there a counter. I will try again later!

So frustrating :x

please do try again when you have time Jan.

Love

Toni xx
  • jan50ish
    Toni

I have done it again,willtry again tomorrow

thanks for warm welcome

Jan
  • elnafinn
    Hi Jan

I have had that happen with a long pm a good few times and sometimes with a posting too and it is so annoying that I have wanted to throw the pc out of the window. :roll: It think it happens a lot from what I hear from others on this forum. :|

What I do when I remember especially if it is going go be a long screed is to type it in word and then copy and paste. Definitely no problems then. :D

Thought I would share that with anyone who is interested.

Elna x

• jan50ish
    Hi, third time lucky,
    In March 2007 I had a right hip replacement, with a good recovery. In August I had my left hip done. I had the Dupuy RSL XL implants in both cases. My recovery from the left op was very slow, x-rays etc. showed the hips were correctly in place and it was thought the problem was with the muscles. At end of 2008 I had further surgery to see if the muscle could be strengthened in any way. They found that the muscles had detached form the greater trochanter, probably very shortly after the first op. They reattached them. The post op recovery was different from the replacement op. I was on complete bed rest for a week then had a month of non-weight bearing and had to sleep with a brace on my leg to reduce stress on the repair. It became apparent fairly soon that this surgery had not worked (had been told that they couldn’t guarantee a successful outcome) .They think the muscle has come off again and I have some nerve damage. By this time my surgeon had retired and so I was being seen by a different team. This consultant told me that this repair op had a high failure rate. If I was a fit sportsman who tore the muscles off and was treated straight away, he would be fit within just a few months…my muscles had been doing nothing for a year. In my report from him it said that the surgery had failed, it probably has left me worse off and that further surgery was not an option! I use two crutches, can only walked a very short distance and now use a mobility scooter.

And then I read in the papers about the hip recall. I asked my GP about it she hadn’t heard of any problems but she arranged the blood test and would write to my surgeon so I could be reviewed.

And then I had a letter from the private hospital where I had both the replacements done (under the NHS). The letter contained a copy of a letter from Dupuy, giving information about the recall and also said they would be doing any testing. I had further x-rays scans and blood tests at the beginning of 2010, and they were repeated a few weeks ago and will be done annually. They do not show any sign of degrading and my blood tests are fine. The doctor I saw here agrees with my NHS surgeon that my problems are to do with the muscle coming off.
    I just thought it was ironical, When I had the ops done, these implants were used because of my age at the time, early fifties and I was keen to return to my job as a HCA on a very busy and heavy unit for the elderly mentally infirm. Despite much support from my line manager they eventually terminated my employment so my implants aren’t getting the wear and tear that were designed for, and I wonder if they were ,would I now be one of the unlucky ones facing more surgery!
    Sorry for the long waffly post
    Jan
  • jan50ish
    Well that worked,so thanks for your patience and thanks to you Elna for the tip. Had a crash course from my daughter, how to find word on my PC and how to copy and paste...Again!

Jan :lol:
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Daylily glad your new hip is a success.

Jan - what a lot you have been through. If they didn't make folk wait so long to have the op, then our muscles wouldn't be so wasted by the time we had a new joint. I'm sorry to hear that your mobility is so poor and they have said there is nothing they can do. Has the op relieved your pain at all?

Speedy

PS both my hips are metal on metal ... so fingers crossed X.
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • jan50ish
    Hi speedy, hope your m on m hips are behaving. I still get a lot of pain and am on a coctail of meds...due for a review tommorrow in fact. I am hoping not to have to change any because at moment pain fairly well controlled.

Despite the problems I have had I would still say to people to have hip replacement, my right hip,is really good. That was the one done first,and before I had it done I was housebound and if it wasn't for the amazing oramorph I would have been bedbound. (some mornings now I think a little nip would help me getting moving..best not start that eh)

Jan
  • jan50ish
    Long chat with GP this morning....went through my lists of meds, talked about benifits and side effects so I could make an informed choice. Outcome, keep to the same regime! Also quick chat about M on M hips, wanted to make sure I had my copy of latest blood tests etc

jan
  • jan50ish
    I was unable to find this post earlier this week and started a new one but I was reminded about this post so sorry if I am repeating myself,

There was a new report out about the M on M that are subject to the recall. It is in the news section on the home page.

The main bit that was of interest to me was that the testing for adverse effects should be done for the life of the implants and not just for five years as originally stated.

Jan
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hi All
    i heard it on the radio. i had my thr in 1996 i have not had any problems just some times a bit aching i have had it exrayed
    though the years and its been ok.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Yes, I saw the report. To be honest, I've no idea whether or not mine are metal on metal but I see my surgeon regularly so I'll ask next time. Mind you, I'd have thought I'd have had problems by now if I was going to. Thanks.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright