DLA Decision

janie68
janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
edited 21. Feb 2012, 08:22 in Living with Arthritis archive
Got my decision back after ringing them about my renewal claim. I have kept my higher rate mobility but they have dropped my care to lower rate from middle rate. Considering I need more help now than 3 years ago when middle was awarded, it beggars belief.

I am not surprised. With PIP being introduced next year, if I go onto lower rate, then I wont be entitled to the care component at all then.

Question is to you, what happens next in terms of reconsideration/appeal of decision please? Do I have to wait long for a new decision? What do I need to do?

Thank you for reading, any help & advice from you is much appreciated.

Janie x

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    sorry i can not help not been down this road yet sut know some one will know good luck val
    val
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Oh dear what a let down but I expect they think you won't argue about lower rate care as you still have the car but it is £30 less and a significant drop especially as you need more help then ever.

I think you have to ask them to look at your claim again but there is a risk you might lose your mobility rate, which always sounds like a threat to me, but it does put people off appealing feeling grateful they have something rather than nothing.

I would take advice from CAB or similar and see what they think your chances of getting Middle rate care are.

Best wishes
    Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    I would just say what Elizabeth has said, contact cab or dial if you have one where you are..
    It is awful when you feel scared of appealing in case you lose more..

I wish you all the best.

Let us know what happens
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Oh Pants Janie :(

in your shoes l would say there is nothing lost in taking advice. You need to see someone from CAB if you can (do we have a dial here???), we used to have some fabulous beneftits advisors at Social Services HQ

http://www.staffordshire.gov.uk/health/care/benefits/WelfareBenefits.aspx

Will PM you of the best woman there who has no doubt retired. :roll:

LOve and luck and Elizabeth is soooo right they are thinking you wont risk loosing more money.

Love

Toni xxx
  • janie68
    Thanks everyone, I shall do a bit of research over the weekend about the odds of winning a reconsideration, think I know what that'll be already!!

It is a risk as Elizabeth says, so I will think about it.

Maybe when I know what my NHS pension will be, it will help make my mind up monetary wise as well.

Janie
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Good luck either way mi dear...
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • mouseymousey
    mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
    Hello, I know how you feel its horrible isn't it? You spill all these personal details and then you get knocked back. I applied for high rate care and got a knock back too (I'm taking a bucket full of meds and well you know the rest blah blah). If you feel strong enough fight them! I couldn't face it - they probably rely on people not being able to fight back. If you feel you can't face an appeal and a fight I can't blame you. xx
  • CJHunter
    CJHunter Member Posts: 1,038
    A bit of advice if you do ask for them to reconsider, ask for all the documentation relating to your claim back so you hav it to go to appeal if necessary. they hve to give it to you cos freedom of info act and they also hate it when asked n have been known to up the claim because of this.

All the best.xx
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • janie68
    Hi!

I got my letter back, I got indefinte HRM and LRC Which is good. I looked at the reasons why, it does make sense. I should have put that I can't use my wheelchair in the house as they say I am not at risk of falling. I have to hold onto furniture etc as my house is quite narrow in places and doorways.
    i also didn't put I can't lift my arms up to dress and wash. DOH!! :roll:

Perhaps I could apply for change in circumstances in care? Is it 3 months when I can do that?

I'm going to join that website benefits & w*** too, as I've got the dreaded ESA next!!!

Janie x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Janie

It goes some way to explaining their decision, but l still think they are hoping you will 'go away' and be relieved as Elizabeth(?) said that you still have your car :(

I agree about the change in circumstances, but still would talk to an 'expert' before you decise what to do incase there are other things in your claim which should have entitled you to the higher rate.

Don't forget CAB are a bit snowed under with all these ESA and DLA claims so it may pay you to get in touch sooner rather than later :? so there's enough time for them to look at the info.

Hope everything else is going ok?

Love

Toni xxx
  • janie68
    Hi everyone

I have asked for reconsideration and provided more explanation regarding my wheelchair and inability to lift arms sufficiently to dress and wash without help.

I saw my GP earlier today, I told her about the drop in my care award. She confirmed my thinking in that the govt are trying to downgrade peoples care needs to lower so that when PIP comes in, you wont be entitled to anything care wise. She supports my middle care needs so we shall wait and see.

Reconsideration will take 8 weeks, err why? I have also alongside my phone call to them, written a letter as well, just in case!

Janie
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    It probably takes 8 weeks because of the waiting list Janie.They must have such a backlog.

Best of luck
    Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein