Can't stop eating!

Numptydumpty
Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
edited 4. Mar 2012, 06:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
This flare seems to be going on forever. Due to the increased dose of prednisolone I'm constantly hungry! As I'm even less mobile than normal the weight is piling on. I do try to eat healthily, but when you're feeling so grotty, sometimes only the BAD stuff will do.
I can literally feel myself expanding! HELP!!!
Numpty

Comments

• tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Numpty - can't help but can sympathise. I'm eating for England (and probably the rest of the known universe as well at the mo) :shock: and not moving around very much either. Might not be the best attitude but I've pretty much given up fighting it - just eat what I want when I want it and figure I will deal with healthy eating etc if/when I feel better than I do now.

Right, I can feel another bowl of porridge coming on. :roll:

Tillyxxx
  • Numptydumpty
    Hi Tilly,
    Yours seems like a very good attitude to me. I may try to adopt it myself. In the meantime that porridge sounds like a good idea!
    Numpty
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Numpty

As I understand it, Lent starts today and ends on 5 April, I think.

I have just decided that I am not going to eat any biscuits, cake or chocs/sweets during this time. It is not because I need to lose weight but more of a "I can do this if I want" exercise. The biscuit thing will be difficult for me as they are always in the cupboard. I am going to try to be strong. Why don't you try that?

Eat other things like, fruit, dried fruit etc if you feel peckish or crave something sweet.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Numptydumpty
    Hi Elna, I do eat fresh fruit and dried fruit as well as the bad things. Funny how apples make me even hungrier. My husband observed the worse my hands get, the easier I find opening the biscuit tin!
    I must do something though, so yes, I will give it a try.
    All the best
    Numpty
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    :lol: Don't buy any biscuits for a time, Numpty - if they ain't there, you cannot eat them! Trouble is with me, one is never enough, more like half a packet, but if they are not there, end of story!

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • jaja
    jaja Member Posts: 135
    Hi numpty....sorry to hear your flare lasting so long...meds always mess with appetite...i had a reasonable year last year and lost 2st....been on anti-biotics 3 times since xmas and put on a stone!!!!.....i have RA and i do find if i keep off sugary things...cakes, bickies etc. it can reduce an ongoing flare-up...but thats usually when you crave it most!!...mull**lites seem to hit the spot especially the toffee flavour.....hope you feel better soon....jaja
  • emsjane
    emsjane Member Posts: 351
    Hi Numpty,

I know exactly what you mean! This last week, especially while the weather has been very cold, my arthur has been quite bad and i wasn't moving around quite so much and i really noticed how much more i was eating! Partly through boredom and partly comfort eating. Now that the weather is milder this week, i haven't been in so much pain and ive been moving around and doing more and i haven't eaten so much!!!

Maybe, just go with it for now and when and if things ease a bit for you, make a concerted effort to eat less and keep busy.

I do find, if i don't buy it, then i can't eat it. Although, i hate it when it gets to the evening and there isn't anything nice in the house to eat!! :roll:

Also, if you like something, try to buy a similar one that has fewer calories, ie biscuits, i buy rich tea to have with a cuppa instead of chocolate digestives!! So at least you can have something, but you know it has less calories.

Having said all this, i am struggling with my weight too and i know how difficult it is to stop eating all the BAD stuff.

vil2_glace2.gif
    LOVE EMMA X
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Hey Numpty join the club Diet exercise and Pred is a constant battle. I was 10 stone 8 LBs now 14 stone 5lbs
    Have you got the moon face and fat belly that goes with the long term use of Pred. I cant exercise now although i try to keep active i cant get going enough to burn fat off. I'm thinking of starting the slimfast diet one day. my clothes no longer fit and i feel bad about my body so i have to do something. but old Arther and all the other stuff dont help.
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Hey Numpty, I think you've opened the closet on a lot of us!! I too have felt hungrey all the time with this flare up! I drove my OH mad last night when I sent him on goodies hunt while I was resting up. He came back with 2 mini lemon drizzle cakes and I said 'is that all?'
    So I think you can safely say your not alone on this one! :lol:
  • Numptydumpty
    Thanks all, for the good advice, wise words and support.
    Yes Colin, I've been on Pred for 6 years. Every time I try to reduce it I have another flare. I will get there one day though!
    Lack of exercise is a major problem. As the sun is shining, my husband has put a chair in the garden for me. I was just trying to stare some weeds into submission. It didn't work though, and it's not as good exercise as actually pulling them up! but as flare is so bad at the moment staring is about all I could manage.
    Anyway I know I'd feel better psychologically if I lost weight so I am going to cut out the BAD stuff....just as soon as this flare ends.....and we get Easter over with........and there's an R in the month....................
    Numpty
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Numpty, You just be who you are! And as long as your happy that's all that matters! I know like me you while this evil flare up is around you can't be happy except for when you see something funny or in my case Bubba cat pulls a face that is absolutley golden! If we need to send our OH's to the kitchen to get us something that will fill us up and taste's nice, in other words sends them to the kitchen on a mission that if they don't succeed they will be made to look bad until they reappear with a large bar or box of chocolates and be praised like a cute puppy! We are allowed to do this because we have a flare up and not just women but men are very good at enotional blackmail! :lol:
  • Numptydumpty
    Hi Bubbadog,
    I was being really good yesterday. Just salad for lunch, no snacks!
    Then in the evening, my lovely daughter came in and said she couldn't bear to see me in pain and discomfort any longer and gave me a box of chocolates to cheer me up. Mmmm Thorntons, my favorites, dark chocolate, cherry and turkish delight and nut fillings, Mmmmmm.
    Sorry, had a bit of a moment there!
    It seems I can resist anything but temptation!
    Numpty
  • mimiofdc
    mimiofdc Member Posts: 24
    Oh dear, add me to the can't stop club.

Nausea leads to snacking to satisfy my tummy, fatigue makes me crave food - sugary food - to get some energy, and I am sat on my bottom way more than I care to be.

Recipe for disaster really. Putting more weight on my already crackling joints.

I know all the right things to do (and eat) but jeez it is so very trying! I wish you healthy eating and comfort in knowing you're not alone.
  • Nixxy
    Nixxy Member Posts: 23
    I can so relate to this! Ive put on nearly 4 stone in 10 months due to the pred and a serious lack of exercise. The arthritis alone dents my self-esteem and now being so overweight I am miserable.

I am 32 and single and this extra weight is not helping anything, I have been offered a seat many times on the tube as my belly is so big I look pregnant!!

I am constantly hungry and the boredom of not being active combined with a low mood means I have been stuffing my face! I have realised it has to stop, I don't believe in diets (I just want it more if I can't have it!) but I am committed to making healthier choices for the sake of my body and my self-esteem. I have just started a course of weight loss hypnotherapy and whilst I'm still quite piggy I can see an improvement in my eating patterns. I'll keep you updated!

Good luck everyone with their own food battles!
    There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something better tomorrow.
    Orison Swett Marden
  • mimiofdc
    mimiofdc Member Posts: 24
    Nixxy wrote:

I am constantly hungry and the boredom of not being active combined with a low mood means I have been stuffing my face! I have realised it has to stop, I don't believe in diets (I just want it more if I can't have it!) but I am committed to making healthier choices for the sake of my body and my self-esteem. I have just started a course of weight loss hypnotherapy and whilst I'm still quite piggy I can see an improvement in my eating patterns. I'll keep you updated!

Good luck everyone with their own food battles!

Well done Nixxy for getting a plan!

I am the same in that I don't like diets. But I was very active previously so now struggling to walk is disastrous for me. grrr...

Keep up the good work :)
  • Nixxy
    Nixxy Member Posts: 23
    Just having a plan and being conscious about choices is such a positive thing, I wish I had done it months ago but it comes when you have the resources and not before so no point feeling guilty!

I walked a lot before although never been a sporty/active person so Im really struggling too. It doesn't help that my feet swell so much that I'm left with cuts and blisters when I do embark on a walk. I know I should succumb to 'sensible' shoes but it makes me want to cry thinking about it!!
    There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something better tomorrow.
    Orison Swett Marden
  • pal
    pal Member Posts: 28
    Hi.
    I'm having the same probs since having a steroid injection last Tues when I saw rheumy. I'm wondering if it was a larger dose than the last one I had. Can't stop eating - sudden cravings! Woke up at 2.30 this morning and had to have tea & biscuits and still desperate! Mustn't have any more! Last Thurs a friend said, "Looking at your waist, maybe you should start coming cycling with me"! He was right, but my knees won't take cycling any more! Oh Boy! Gets to you! Especially when frineds notice! Best wishes all, Pal
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Been on the slimfast diet fot 7 days now and lost 7lbs
    made up but its hard work
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    That's brilliant, Colin. Well done you! My husband once did a similar 'drinks' diet and I know how difficult it was but that's a great result. Keep at it. You should be proud of yourself.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright