pain injections

loopylou1981
loopylou1981 Member Posts: 14
edited 14. Apr 2012, 19:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,
I suffer from severe arthritis in my foot after a car crash 9 years ago and have already had major reconstructive surgery & have been told i need more. Before i go through this my Dr wants me to have pain injections into my bones to see where my foot is most affected. Has anyone else had this done? does this work? has it made a difference? I forgot to ask lots of questions about it because i was expecting just to be told what surgery i'd need.
Can anyone gie me info on this?
Louise xxx

Comments

• tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    There are a few different kinds I think. I've had the steroid injections into my knees and faber joint ones in the spine. The spine ones helped a little. The knees I've had done three times now and they only worked the first time for a month, didn't get any benefit from the last two lots. That doesn't mean it won't work for you though. We are all different and as such react differently to treatments, meds etc.
    I really hope that yours helps..
    Let us know how you go on. :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • loopylou1981
    the ones i have to have need to be done under general anaesthetic. ive already had to give up my job because of the pain. just want something to work!! thanks very much x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I am sorry you have had to find us. I have had steroid injections and some sort of radio-active stuff injected into my knees (whilst lightly sedated) but nothing involving a GA so I don't think I can help! I can understand your concern though, this is not an easy thing to go through. I know that after my steroid injections I was always told to rest in bed for at least 24 hours, but they preferred 48, so that the stuff would have time to 'sink in' throughout the joint and therefore work better so please bear that in mind for your foot. Could you ring your doctor's secretary to ask for clarification? I wish you well and please keep in touch with us so we find out what happens! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tjt6768
    that's a new one to me too. I'm sure that you'll be ok though. Hope someone comes along with more info for you..
    Best wishes :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Loopylou

I have not had injections into my foot but I have been sedated twice and had injections in L4 & L5 of my spine and this was done on 3 December 2009 and is still excellent - ie no terrible sciatica pain.

I was sedated and had injections in my shoulder and they lasted 4 years. I am having a couple of injections again in the middle of March, this time in a slightly different part of the shoulder, again I shall be sedated.

If you are sedated/ga you will not feel a thing and surely it is worth going for - anything to put off/delay having an operation. I hope your injections help you as much and for as long as mine have done for me. :)

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • amboritic
    amboritic Member Posts: 66
    I think being sedated etc may just be down to the preference of the person performing the procedure.

I had facet joint injections in the cervical spine last year, lying on my back so he went in from the side, I was not sedated but was given a little local. The worst one was the last one as he had to put the needle into the muscle at the side of my neck/shoulder.

I did get some relief though.

I have never heard of any injection into the foot that would require GA, I only had local and sedation for my knee surgery a few years ago. Not serious surgery though just cartilage repair and a wash out.

Again it might just be the preferred method at the hospital you have been referred to.
  • tjt6768
    I think I'm having sedation for the up coming radio frequency thing on mi spine.. When I had the facet injections out was just a local anesthetic..
    I really hope that it helps the foot anyway.. :D
    Make sure you let us know how you go on?
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • DebraKelly
    DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
    I have recently had a Steriod Injection into my knee about a month ago and I have noticed a huge difference.

The steriod injection isn't that bad, just slight uncomfortable for a few seconds, but you will get some side effects afterwards, but everyone is different.

I also inject myself with Methatreaxate once a week and its much better than the tablets.
  • loopylou1981
    hey everyone,
    thanks for all the advice. think theres more out there to treat arthritis than i ever imagined, makes me wonder why i didnt push for treatment sooner.
    I was told i should get my appointment within 6 weeks so fingers crossed. anything so im pain free, or at least manageable.

xxx
  • magnolialady
    magnolialady Member Posts: 23
    i have just had 6 injections in my ankles 3 either side.i had them done yesterday.it was done under a G A .have to rest for 2-3 days have a sore throat thats all.no pain yet.they said it will get worse to get better but will let you know how it goes.good luck.i have O A and R A all over.am on methoxtrate as well.
  • loopylou1981
    Hi all,
    well i was booked in for my injections on saturday but unfortunately it got cancelled as i wasnt added to the theatre list. Frustrating!!!
    I have now been booked in for tomorrow so i'll let you know how it goes and if they work xxx
  • barking1
    barking1 Member Posts: 185
    Good luck for tomorrow Loopyloo i will think of you x Jane
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Oh loopylou that happened with my last injection, but eventually I got them, I really do wish you well with it, and please let us know how you are xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • loopylou1981
    Hi all, injections all done. Was awake throughout and all went relatively straight forward. My foot is very tender but I'm guessing that's because the injections were put right in the top of my foot. I'm going back in 6 weeks to see consultant about bone fusion & bone grafts. Surgeon said the injections were to try & give me a bit of a break. Hoping it all settles down over the next few days.
    Thankyou for all your wishes xxx