ignorant people

cheekygirl
cheekygirl Member Posts: 128
edited 23. Feb 2012, 20:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
:( hi hope u all aving good day . can i just ask wat do you all think about the dam rude ignorant person i met today .my daughters and i went for lunch to a AMERICAN diner one of my daughters was pushing me in my wheelchair we went inside to get a table wen the assistant came over and . said, to my daughter can she get out of that chair cause she cant sit in her chair ; my daughter said why dont you ask her . i said excuse me but just because i use a wheelchair i am not stupid or deaf or dumb .why didnt you speak to me she said ; well i didnt know she could speak aarrggghh .i said you are ignorant and arrogant .we are still people and deserve respect .and on that note we left knowing we wouldnt ever return . why do people feel the need to speak to us like children cause we have disabilitys ????

Comments

• tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    You should have asked to speak to the manager... Bit of re training is definitely in order..
    I would write a letter to the head office of the place too..
    Some people really get on my t1t$ :x
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • cheekygirl
    cheekygirl Member Posts: 128
    tjt6768 wrote:
    You should have asked to speak to the manager... Bit of re training is definitely in order..
    I would write a letter to the head office of the place too..
    Some people really get on my t1t$ :x
    hi thanku i will write to the manager ,, i know wat you mean ha thanku take care
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi cheekygirl
    It seems we are coming across this quite regular, I just think that some people aren't trained in dealing with the disabled , but common sense and courtesy shouldn't need to be learned.. :shock:
    Like Tony says you write or even better go and see the manager, then he can make some changes...Hopefully
    Love
    Barbara
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Amazing isn't it ? My latest " episode " was at a church wedding . Hubby parked my wheelchair next to a back row pew when a church warden asked him to , " put her over there " , pointing to back of church behind a screen . " But I'm attending the wedding too " I said . " Not my fault you're awkward and came in that chair " . True meaning of christianity eh ? Jillyb
  • barabrith
    barabrith Member Posts: 17
    Hi cheekygirl

That sounds like a horrible experience and could possibly be classed as "discrimination in the supply of services" which is against the law. You can find more about this on CAB's site www.adviceguide.org.uk under "Your rights - Discrimination".

Best wishes
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    that's awful... :shock:
    Surely things should be getting BETTER not worse, it's 2012 not 1972
    I hope the Lord smites him :D
    jillyb1 wrote:
    Amazing isn't it ? My latest " episode " was at a church wedding . Hubby parked my wheelchair next to a back row pew when a church warden asked him to , " put her over there " , pointing to back of church behind a screen . " But I'm attending the wedding too " I said . " Not my fault you're awkward and came in that chair " . True meaning of christianity eh ? Jillyb
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • bounce
    bounce Member Posts: 106
    I think its disgusting the way able bodied people at times treat people who through no fault of their own have to use a wheelchair or crutches.

I had a friend who was in a wheelchair and every time we were out, he always had some kind of abuse like that, it really upset him so much so that half the time he ended up in tears, and that is when I gave the stupid idiotic morons a good piece of my mind, and I bet they still remember after years have passed. :lol:

I work in a retail shop and I work on the fitting room area where we have disabled access, and I like to treat people with respect, politeness, have a good laugh with them and talk to the person in the wheelchair and not just the pusher.

I treat people how I would like to be treated, and that is how I was bought up right from the start.
  • jillyb1
    Hear hear to that , Bounce , do as you would be done by I was taught and that's the way my 3 kids were brought up too . Jillyb
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    My son has not been invited to many parties as children don't understand him. He has high functioning autism dyslexia and dyslexia. I have started taking him to multi sports at a special needs collage. One of the mums came over and asked if my son would come to her sons party. The boys had a what we called a positive interaction. They both threw planes made out of paper togeather at bowling and again at multisports nether spoke to each other. I was delighted for my son to accept the invitation and shared my son was never invited back to many partys. The lady said it was his first ever party he is eight and he never ever got invites. She is inviting children from this group only. we all understand you see the world is very cruel.

I am sorry you had this experiance people are ignorant and rude. I would complain in writing i would if it were me anyway.
    Joanne
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    People like that need to be trained in how to deal with the disabled but i find people like that have no social or people skills anyway.
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • bounce
    bounce Member Posts: 106
    Hi Jillyb,
    Both my grandad and my mum instilled that way of that way of thinking to us kids right from an early age, opening the door for our elders, being polite and well mannered, but nowadays that is thought of as old fashioned unfortunately.

I just wish more people could think before they act or speak nowadays.
  • jillyb1
    Old fashioned values never did anyone any harm . It's not an age thing as many of the older folk are the rudest and most insensitive and the young ones the most thoughtful ; really does reflect the way you were brought up when young . Sorry all , something I feel strongly about ! Jillyb
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Cheeky

Yep contact the manager and though it was a horrible experience (yours too Jilly) try not to let it get to you too much cus they aren't worth it.

I was in the ambulance service for many years... well quite a few :wink: and one of the 1st things we were taught is to talk to the person in the chair! Back then I was more mobile and used to kneel of squat so they could see you without locking up.

I wish folks were more considerate across the bored but I think the world goes at too fast a pace to remember manners!

I hope it never happens to you again! Nice to meet you by the way Cris x