Learning from failure

joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 1. Mar 2012, 06:15 in Community Chit-chat archive
I've had a frustrating day today :( I've spent all week carefully painting a picture which was turning out well, only to ruin it today. I don't think I can rescue it, so all my efforts will probably be wasted. Never mind, I'm encouraged by a quote from Woody Allen,
“If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative.''

I think this is true because we all learn from our mistakes and failures in life.

What have you failed at, and what have you learned from it :?:
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Joan I leant not to mess with paintings from you LOL
    Its true we learn from our mistakes however some people keep making the same mistakes and never learn. I think its a human trait. Hope you and yours are keeping well
    As for my mistakes it seems the ones i make never go un-noticed people seem to be waiting for it. I once made the mistake of letting MRs colin cut my hair LOL i had to shave my head.
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • Colin1
    I gave it a bit of thought and came up with this.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Colin
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Oh Joan

l am sorry about your painting :( do things look any better today??

l have learned that the kids don't learn from my mistakes :roll:

love

Toni xxx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    i have learned that we all have to make our own mistakes and i have to learn where my limits are (not managed that so far lol)
    my mistake was forgot to take meds again last night was feeling awfull and just forgot so today going to be pain filled and stiff grrr
    also computers have a mind of there own val
    val
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    How frustrating for you, Joan. I once did a similar thing with a poem I had all planned out. I did eventually get it written though but nothing like as it would have been.

Being a stubborn type, I think I only ever learn by my mistakes. One of my recent ones - never wear a tatty pair of knickers on the grounds that you'll be at home all day as that's the day you'll end up in A&E.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I have only tatty knickers. :( My major mistake? Not having the courage to call off the first wedding. I didn't, we married as I reckoned it would all work out somehow then three months later met the current Mr DD (who was, and still is, lovely. I'm not sure about his wife tho). DD

PS. I am so sorry about your picture Joan, especially as you say it cannot be recovered. Glum-making indeed.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    In my art class they say you have to learn to leave it alone. everyone has a painting they have gone too far on. I am sure you can rescue it.

I don't like the word failure but there are times i have try ed to hard. I have reached a stumbling block. doors shut on face. I found when i had given up trying ie my depression new doors opened. I am learning to wait not plough into life not knowing where i am going and getting lost in life. wait take time digest what is around me sit back. life is mapped out i am now following.

sit back from that painting take it into another light another days fresh eyes might reveal when to leave it alone good luck joan im sure you will rescue it. :)
    Joanne
  • Colin1
    Sorry about the painting young lady, knowing you you probably put more effort into this one than any others.
    Colin
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Hello Joan,

I'm a little sad to read that you think your efforts will be wasted.
    Surely the waste would have been if you hadnt made your efforts.
    All effort has some worth.
    I'm hoping to regain my enthusiasm for watercolour and acryllic painting
    which I lost a little while ago and am constantly looking for effort.
  • stickywicket
    ichabod6 wrote:
    Surely the waste would have been if you hadnt made your efforts.
    All effort has some worth.

That is so true, Ichabod.

I learnt, some years into my arthritic life, to measure effort rather than achievement. Sometimes, the effort is the achievement.
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    oh Joan, I'm sorry to hear about the painting, but as suggested, maybe come back to it later and you may get a sparkle of inspiration that turns it all around. I know you have the skills to do so, I've seen your work and it's very good.. Keep the faith my dear..
    As for mistakes.. Blimey, I've been a bit of a rogue in my younger days.. I'm saying no more.. :? :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • joanlawson
    Hi all, and thanks for your replies and words of wisdom.

Colin, I think you're right about experience, but sometimes we have to make the same mistake numerous times before we learn. However, as Del points out, sometimes one mistake is enough :lol: I bet you didn't let your wife cut your hair a second time :lol:

Toni, the painting still looks a disaster area today, but I've left it alone while I think of a possible way to rescue it. I might try tomorrow and if that doesn't work, I'll tear it up into little pieces, stick them at random on another piece of paper, and probably win the Turner prize for modern art :lol:

Val, I hope that you haven't paid the price too badly for forgetting your meds. I don't think any of us like to think we're limited by arthur, but sometimes we learn the hard way if we push ourselves beyond our limits. The trick is to find the right balance.

Sticky, writing poetry is similar to producing art; you have to get your ideas down while they're still fresh in your mind and when the inspiration takes you ( can be a bit awkward at times! )
    It's ****'s law that you'll end up in A&E if you're wearing tatty knickers. It's just the same when I'm looking at my absolute worst and the house is a mess- someone always decides to pay a surprise visit. No-one ever calls when I'm at my best :roll:

DD
    , marrying Mr.Wrong was quite a big mistake, but I'm glad that you met Mr.Right in the end :D

Joanne Yes, knowing when to stop is one of the hardest lessons to learn. It's so easy to keep adding things to a painting until you've spoiled it.

Ichabod
    , my friend, I hope that you will regain your enthusiasm for drawing and painting. Be inspired by using your trusty fountain pen, and I'm sure that you will soon be enjoying it again. :D I agree about the worth of effort, but it can be a bit disheartening when things don't turn out as you had hoped. But then, I imagine that even the great artists had their failures too.

Tony Thanks for the words of encouragement. :D

A rogue :?: :o I don't believe it :!: ..... and you look as though butter wouldn't melt :lol::lol:
  • tjt6768
    melt? It used to boil! Lol
    Thank God for dimples :D:lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • valval
    joan have you gone back to it and is it beyond saving i do hope not your works are a thing of beauty and to think of this one not making the grade is sad take care and good luck insperation might hit and all might be saved val
    val
  • joanlawson
    Having almost given up on it, I went back to my painting today and decided that I was going to finish it whatever the outcome. After about three hours, I finally put down my brushes and declared it finished. It's not the best painting I've ever done, but it's OK and I'm glad that I didn't tear it up.

What has this taught me :?: That things don't always turn out as you would like them to, but tomorrow is another day. :D
  • Colin1
    Things aint what they used to be
    Well joan at least you saved it. are you going to show us all the end result. i wouldent mind betting its a masterpiece
    Colin
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    aw joan I am sorry to read about your painting, but, I am glad that when you went back to it that it didn't seem too bad and you finished it.
    I am sure it is still brilliant.
    Love Juliepf x
  • tjt6768
    I always had faith Joan. And I'm sure that you are just being harsh on yourself..
    Xxx :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • stickywicket
    Well done on finishing it, Joan! I'm sure I'd think it was brilliant but the more we understand about such things the more critical we are, especially of our own efforts. Maybe, if you don't look at it for a month or two, you'll then decided it was actually quite good - or get inspired again. Meanwhile, I suspect the next blank canvass beckons.
    Steven Wright
  • valval
    well done joan so glad it got finnished good on you val
    val
  • joanlawson
    Well done on finishing it, Joan! I'm sure I'd think it was brilliant but the more we understand about such things the more critical we are, especially of our own efforts. Maybe, if you don't look at it for a month or two, you'll then decided it was actually quite good - or get inspired again. Meanwhile, I suspect the next blank canvass beckons.

I'm always my own worst critic, and often I can only see all the things I did wrong rather than good parts. I think you are right about not looking at the painting for a month or two, Sticky. Maybe I won't think it's too bad then. I've got a large folio of paintings done over the years, and sometimes when I look back on them I surprise myself to see the progress I have made.

The next blank canvas has already beckoned, and another masterpiece is underway :D
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Go Joan a084.gif

This one will be fabulous!!!

Love

Toni xx
  • joanlawson
    Thanks Toni. That's the thought which drives me on. :D
  • valval
    i would the happiness just painting provides is enough to encourage one to start the next not being able to put pen to paper let alone paint i am onlt guessing but it must be an amazing feeling val
    val