Aftercare for steroid injections in the knee

dangermouse61
dangermouse61 Member Posts: 3
I would really welcome any advice on how long I need to stay off my knee after a steroid injection? I had my first one today and have been told to keep the weight off that knee for at least a week- I've been placed under house arrest- hehe! Can anyone tell me if this is necessary?
Many thanks.

Comments

• CJHunter
    CJHunter Member Posts: 1,038
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Do as you are told!! :smile:
    Well for the first 48hrs at least. Rest, raise and more rest.
    That is is you want it to work :roll:
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • dangermouse61
    dangermouse61 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you so much for your reply! I will do as I'm told-hehe! Just thought it seemed a bit extreme but thanks for your advice-it's much appreciated! :P
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,463
    Well dangermouse I think you've just been told!

So are you available for contract work cjhunter? For when we have someone who 'needs telling'. :D

Rest up dangermouse whilst you can!

Best wishes all

Simona
  • MrDJ
    MrDJ Member Posts: 273
    i just had my knee drained and steroid injected yesterday. ive always been advised to give it 2 days non weight bearing. i cant fully weight bear using crutches due to arthritic wrists so its a catch 22.
    the main reason to rest is every time to put your body weight on your knee it spreads the steroid away from the affected area so as much rest as possible is the best medicine.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    use ice wrapped in towel if it gets painfull and yes rest for couple of days if you can give it a chance to work val
    val
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    I was told to take it easy for a couple of days.

On the net is says, rest the joint for about 24 hours.
    Avoid excessive movement or stress on the joint for about one week.

Sounds like you have to do as you have been told. :wink:

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.