My options - are they so bleak?

Star2001
Star2001 Member Posts: 96
Hello, I just wanted to ask for any opinions. If I have to give my job up I know there is no chance of redeployment within the workplace as I am the only one doing the job I do and there are no other suitable roles. I do not have a pension, my employers are supportive of my condition but I can see that I may well have to (reluctantly) give my job up at some point. Does that mean that I will have to be assessed for any financial support or have I already "earned" some help with this? I have lost little time from work so far and have always worked paying tax and insurance but I am starting to worry about my future. Have any of you managed to find suitable work that you are able to manage with RA? It would need to be something that I could do easily with hand/wrist problems. I would not want to claim DLA as I can manage most things for myself albeit slowly and with pain. Just having some ideas to throw around would help me feel more in control. I have looked online for advice but I think it's better to have real life experiences to go on. Thank you.

Comments

• resusjan
    resusjan Member Posts: 290
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi,

I am sorry but I can't answer your questions as I am in exactly the same position as you. I will, therefore, be watching this thread with interest to see if anyone with experience can offer advise.

I, too am really concerned about the future. I have a huge mortgage and lots of credit card debts which I am just about managing to pay at the moment - but only if I work 6 days a week. I'm really scared about the future as I cant continue to work as I am. The stress and tiredness is making my RA worse and I have no idea what to do.

I'm even thinking it would be better to give it all up, go bankrupt and live off benefits, but I have worked all my life (I am 42) and have always supported myself and my family. My mortgage doesnt finish for 20 years, my credit cards will also take this long to pay off.

I have no idea what benefits I would be entitled to if I couldnt work, but seriously doubt they would cover my current financial commitments
  • resusjan
    Hi Star,

I have been keeping an eye on this thread to see if anyone with experience of your questions pops up. In the meantime, as I have similar questions to you, I rang our local CAB office today to see if they could point me in the right direction regarding work and benefits. They have arranged to see me in a couple of weeks. Not sure if you have a CAB office near to you, but they may be worth a try.

Hope you get some answers soon
    Jan xx
  • Star2001
    Star2001 Member Posts: 96
    Hi Jan, sorry I haven't been around for a few days but thank you so much for taking time to get in touch. I am glad that you have made a start with things and I will do the same now. It is such a worry when we hope we never have to give up work but the decision might be made for us by some awful disease. If I was sure I could get the next 10 years at work I would be in a better position to manage financially as that's when I officially retire but, before then I'd really struggle and hate the thought of having to more or less beg which I feel is what lots of people are having to do despite their condition. Do they think we choose to be like this??? Thanks again - it seems there is to be no more advice forthcoming on here so I will get googling.
  • resusjan
    Hi Star,

I am in a very similar situation to you. Have got a good job, with a good pension etc but ---- mortgage doesnt finish for 20 years so was banking on still being in work up until then.

I think I am going to try and cut back as much as I can for now, pay back as much as I can in terms of credit cards etc then, if able, start to pay extra off the mortgage while I am still working. I am hoping that, if I do that, I will be able to reduce the mortgage enough to be able to pay it with benefits etc when I can't work any more. However, have also decided that ---- worst case scenario - sell the house, pay off mortgage and move into rented accomodation. I work for the NHS and have been looking at ill health retirement so it all depends really on how much longer I can continue to work for, how much my pension will be if I have to take it early, and what tier of ill health retirement I eventually qualify for.

The CAB are really helpful, they have taken a lot of my stress off me already just by knowing that they are there if I need them. I also think it looks better to your creditors if they can see that you have tried to address financial issues before they become a problem. Good luck to you Star, really hope you can get some advise off CAB or similar, the stress of financial worries is the last thing you need right now

Jan