Hi All

RichT
RichT Bots Posts: 35
edited 8. Mar 2012, 09:24 in Say Hello Archive
Just thought I would say Hello :D My name is Rich I am 49 and was diagnosed with AS and OA some 30+ years ago I have recently had a total hip replacement and I am off work at the moment recovering from the OP 8)

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello RichT, it's nice to meet you and I am pleased you have found us - we're an emapthetic crowd. I hope the op has been a success and that you are being very good in doing all your exercises - and wearing the devastatingly sexy elastic stockings to boot! I hope you have had a look at the other forums on here and please dive in wherever you wish: the conversations are open to all! Take care and heal well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Hi and welcome from me. I hope you are making a successful recovery.
  • macri
    macri Member Posts: 21
    Hi RichT
    Hope you are feeling better, I also have to have both hips replaced, did you have them done together? or one at a time, my surgeon wont do them together. also how do you stop yourself from turning over in your sleep? I always sleep on my stomach or sides and have been told that you have to sleep on your back i am worried about this, any tips would be great. hope your running soon lol.
    (Chris) macri :?
  • emsjane
    emsjane Member Posts: 351
    Hi Rich,

Very interested in talking to you. How was your op? Do you recommend having it done? Do you think it's better to wait to have it done till you can't bare the pain anymore, or is it better to get it done before it gets too bad??? Did u have the birmingham THR? What sorts of problems have you encountered since having op? Any other info would be much appreciated :D

I hope you are recovering well!?
    LOVE EMMA X
  • elishapearcex
    elishapearcex Member Posts: 48
    hiya

hope your okay and hope everything is fine

elisha xxxx
    live life to the full and done let anything bring you down!!!!
  • RichT
    Thanks for all the replies and so many questions :D I will do my best to answer all that I can :wink: I didn't have the Birmingham THR basically because my bones are too thin, I would say it is best to get it done asap because the hip pain goes straight away although on the NHS you have to wait mine was some 6 months, obviously there is still pain but only from the OP. I am 4 weeks in and still on crutches and in some pain, I sleep on my front all of the time but over the years it has got harder to do I now sleep in a recliner for 2 reasons really it stops me rolling over in my sleep but then again due to my spine I don't sleep much anyway plus I don't disturb my wifes sleep either. I had issues with the op because of my spine being mostly fused and the curviture restricts my airways, since the op I am having problems with my knee and foot swelling up at night and the back of my neck and head keeps going numb which may be related due to nerve damage but the surgeon reckons it will become clearer in time. I hope I have answered most questions 8)
  • smol
    smol Member Posts: 43
    OMG just seen my mums post!!! up above hi macri mum!!! Sorry to jump on your thread RichT but I couldn't contain myself. Hope you're recovering well
    gentle hugs
    Sarah

‎"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."- Edward Everett Hale
  • macri
    Hi again RichT.
    I think you misread my post, I havn't had the op yet, so was asking your opinion. I have just had a date for the op for 5th April.
    Did you have them both done at the same time, you didnt quite say.
    I hope your not suffering too much pain now and feel better soon.
    I can no longer walk , only a few steps inside with the aid of a roma trolley.
    Oh whats BirminghamTHR i know nothing about it??????????????
    take very good care
    macri x
  • RichT
    Hi Macri
    Sorry about that :lol: No only my right hip the left is ok at the moment (sort of) You are right though my surgeon said that only one would be done at a time. I too couldn't walk for the 2 months leading up to my op and was on crutches for approx 8 months in all, I am still on them but not suffering as much hip pain as I was... thankfully Here is a link to the BHR and THR http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_resurfacing I hope it helps, do you know which way the anaesthesia will be administered yet ? Thankfully due to my neck/back problems I was knocked out and didn't know a thing until I woke up 8)
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Just a quick Hello to you RichT from me :)

l think you have plenty to bring to the forums and hopefully we can in turn support you :D

Love

Toni xxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    afranklin wrote:
    Well hello there! I am new to the forum as well. My grandmother just underwent a total hip replacement a couple of months back and it is a burden, as I can see on her side.

I have recently been diagnosed OA though no further action has been considered yet as we prefer to look into things longer just so we could figure out which should be taken into better and deeper consideration.

Hi afranklin

(sorry Rich for hijacking your thread :oops: ) a welcome to you to the forums as well.

I hope you gain as much from being here as l have

Love

Toni xx
  • macri
    RichT wrote:
    Hi Macri
    Sorry about that :lol: No only my right hip the left is ok at the moment (sort of) You are right though my surgeon said that only one would be done at a time. I too couldn't walk for the 2 months leading up to my op and was on crutches for approx 8 months in all, I am still on them but not suffering as much hip pain as I was... thankfully Here is a link to the BHR and THR http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_resurfacing I hope it helps, do you know which way the anaesthesia will be administered yet ? Thankfully due to my neck/back problems I was knocked out and didn't know a thing until I woke up 8)
    Hi RichT I have to have epidural due to having breathing problems but have been promised heavy tranquilisation so hoping not to know too much about it. lol :cry:
  • RichT
    They did try to go in my spine but couldn't find a way past or through my vertibrae (fused) or fusing I think was the problem so I had to have a camera fed up my nose to look down my throat so they could guide a tube in without causing any damage, very restricted airways you see due to the curve of my spine/neck pushing my wind pipe against my collar bone :shock: I know one other guy in the ward said he could hear all the (noises) that went on during the op :roll: Not sure I want to hear that myself especially as I was under for some 6 hrs :D
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Hi Rich, welcome from me to, bit late i know sorry, hope to see you around
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx