hello

lilac63
lilac63 Member Posts: 19
Good morning,
need some help or advice, i have had arthritis/fibromyalgia, for many years and its progressively getting worse, iv worked as i nurse for many years.

last May I had another bad flare up and could`nt move iv been having steriod/painkiller in injections but this time they have not worked,( altho for the first few weeks they had worked, then they wore off and i was back in the same pain)
I went along to HR who said they have 3 months to find me a job and if they cant i have to have capability redunancy??,( of which I heard nothing from since the day i went to see them).. as I told them there was no way i could work back on the ward, they said in the mean time to go back and work in the ward and work along side our ward clerk, which I did and it knocked me straight back down again, and could`nt move, HR`s question to this was` how comes she has just gone back and now she cant move again` ???? .

So now Im in limbo not knowing what to do, iv been back to occy health again and she has now referred me back to rhuematology, who said already there was nothing else they could do for me, my sick pay runs out in may this year,...i feel like im hitting my head against a brick wall, im in so much pain all the time and im sick of fighting them all I do want to stay at work, but i know deep down i would`nt be able to manage any more, its now in my hips back neck shoulder, and both knees, at times i cant even pick my baby grandson up..HELP i just need some advice of what to do like every one else i have rent to pay etc..so if there`s anyone else out there who have worked for the NHS id love to hear form you, take care

Comments

• traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I worked for the NHS

I was dismissed on ill health grounds, june last year as there wasn't a role to deploy me to that i would be able to be consistent with,

I was gutted so to speak, but there was not a lot i could do really as there is not a job out there that would let me go in to work on the days that i feel ok. With my arthritis it is so unpredictable how i am going to be from one day to the next.

When my sick pay ran out i was able to claim ESA, but thats a different story all together lol..

Any questions feel free to ask..
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • lilac63
    Hi Tracy,

Thanks so much for replying, mines exactly the same you never know how yr joints are going to be from one day to the next. Iv never heard of ESA, so I would be so grateful if you tell me what happen when your pay finished.

Im worrying myself sick about it all, im single, so have no other income, if you get my drift. was you medically retired or given capability redunancy?

wendy x
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    I was offered to be retired on ill health grounds, but i refused on the basis i could get better...I am still clinging on the hope i may return to work one day lol..

Here is a good link that explains different benefits you can claim

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/index.htm
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Hi Wendy

I have just recently retired on ill health from my job as a staff nurse. I got tier 2, which is the enhanced tier with benefits. It may be a good idea to get an ill health pension forecast, thay may give you more options. You need lots,of evidence to suppoer your claim, please feel free to ask any questions.

You can still return to work with ill health pension, only work 16 hours per week if you do get better, so it is good that there is that option as well later on.
    Good luck

Janie
  • lilac63
    Thank you for replying,...Im a HCA and a phlebotomist, i was doing both job at the same time at one point on my ward, im 48 this year, and i have too say work arnt really being any help at all, i feel like im being pushed from pillar to post and not getting any where, i have never not worked, and still want to,.. but as the lady before said, you never know when you wake up and yr body is going to be.

Did you ask to be retired or did they tell you , they were going to retire you?

wendy,
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Hi Wendy

I applied, they cannot make you retire. You have to see the OH Dr and get the relevant forms to apply. You can contact your pensions officer in your trust for a forecast. I am only 40, and had to give in. I couldn't take it any longer, so applied for my pension, was successful and then I resigned from the trust on illhealth. It isn't for everybody, but it was for me.

But they can dismiss you on capability grounds, the NHS are not in the least bit bothered about their staff.

Janie
  • lilac63
    Hi Janie,

Think im going to go down that route, iv got to get in contact with HR as they was supposed to re-deploying me , but i havnt heard a thing from them, their have been useless.

Like yourself I know now im not able to carry on, I was on annual leave whilst they were meant to be re-deploying me, but as iv had to go back to OCH their have made me unfit for work again, my ward manager received the letter yesterday, and said she has taken me off of A/l and now have to get another sick cert.

Your right the NHS dont care at all for their staff, iv worked for them 16 yrs this year, and they just dont give a **** !

wendy x