amitriptyline.......your thoughts please

waddle
waddle Member Posts: 116
Hi i hope you dont mind me enquiring but i have just been given amitriptyline and dont know anyone else who is on it so was wondering what if anyone else is taking it and what they think of it.

im worried about starting it, i know you cant give me the medical advice i was just wondering what experiences you have heard about it in general.

thankyou so much for taking the time to read this post.

wishing you a good day.
Waddle :)

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello again, waddle. As you'll have realised, I'm just a forum member not part of the Helplines team but, as they don't operate over the weekend, I thought I'd just jump in to say that quite a lot of forum members seem to take Amitriptylene and I don't think I've heard anything bad about it. You could always ask for their views on LWA if you like.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • waddle
    Thank you stickywicket i will try that,
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,463
    Hi Waddle and thanks Stickywicket,

I'm attaching some information on amitriptyline for you. The commonest way that this drug is used for people with different kinds of arthritis is a low dose taken before bed time. In this situation it has a relaxing, slightly sedative effect that helps with sleep and chronic pain. It's thought as quite mild, and can be used long-term. In bigger doses it may be used as an anti depressant.

I hope that's helpful

Guy

http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/drugs/amitriptyline.aspx
  • waddle
    Thank you the info is very helpful.
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    Hi hubby takes it i was given it but just could not function even though i was on a low dose.. It did help my sleep at night but just could not function at work the next morning so gave it up... Hubby said i was a light weight..lol. Hope it helps you.
  • Jayne45
    Jayne45 Member Posts: 1
    Hello there, I am new to this have just joined this morning. I know that this question was posted for an expert but thought i would just say that I was on Amitriptyline for about 6 years in all for IBS, a very low dose at night. I have been taken off recently because I had a rapid hear beat which the doctors thought was the result of this medication. I am now in constant pain with my arthritis again. Didnt really come to my mind at the time but maybe it did just help me with the pain.
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,463
    Dear Jayne,

I just wanted to say welcome to the forum. If you would like any support over the pain you are experiencing then do come back to us if you'd like to. Did I miss it, but I'm not sure I picked up what kind of arthritis you have.

all the best

Guy