Hip replacement

barabrith
barabrith Member Posts: 17
edited 3. Apr 2012, 10:03 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone,

I'm quite new to the forum and haven't posted much yet.

I was diagnosed with extensive OA in my right hip and moderate OA in the left in November - this followed being diagnosed with sciatica and "maybe a bit of arthritis" earlier last year, then putting up with the pain for months.

Anyway, I was referred to OS in December and had my first appointment with him last week. He agrees that I need to have a hip replacement on the right side and anticipates the op being done in about 8 weeks. It all seems so quick, although the OS did stress that I don't have to have it done.

There's so much going round in my head and if anyone has any advice or tips I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi
    No you dont have to have it done BUT going by what others have said I think I would get it done as soon as possible.
    Some people have regretted leaving it so long.
    8 weeks is good.....you wont have the same amount of time to worry.
    What with pre op assessment, seeng the physio, and then {if its like our hospital} We have a mock bathroom and kitchen in the hospital and they take you round it and decide what equipment you will need for afterwards.
    Before you know it the 8 weeks will be here.
    I'm no doctor but its your decision
    Love
    Hileena
  • MrDJ
    MrDJ Member Posts: 273
    best operation i ever had done.
    serious pain before and then discomfort during recovery and 17 years later still pain free.
    such a shame they cant do a whole body replacement yet as it would help lots of us.

was told never to lift leg more than 90 degrees but since recovery i can bend it quite a bit more and also manage to put socks on with no problem.

OT will assess you and depending on height give you a raised bog seat and various very useful bits and pieces around the house.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I guess it probably has come as a bit of a surprise/shock, barabrith, but there are many on here who would welcome such a shock :). It has to be your decision but I'm with the others. I've had 2 hips and never regretted either. No op is completely without risk but this is a very commonplace one now. To help achieve success, if you decide to go for it, do the pre-op exercises they give you and the post-op ones. They are very important.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Folara
    Folara Member Posts: 568
    Definately go for it. I had a BHR rather than a THR but it's been brilliant and if it wasn't for that being done I would be permanently in a wheelchair thanks to the knackered left leg.

Make sure you listen carefully to the exercises and what you can and can't do etc and you should be fine in recovery etc

Good luck with it.

Fols x
  • aicha
    aicha Member Posts: 11
    Hi bararith

Oh a bit scary I am sure and I will be headed that way myself if my knees don't give out first which is likely but 8 weeks doesn't give you much panic time if you forgive the phrase. Waiting lists are so much longer here. I think the words you used "putting up pain for months" might swing it for me if I were in your position once you have got over the shock.
    I will look in to see what others advise.
    Sorry if this is a silly question Folara but what is a BHR? :oops: Glad it worked so well for you.

aicha
  • barabrith
    Thank you for all your replies and good wishes. Mr DJ, it is very reassuring to hear you are still pain free 17 years on!
    I will go ahead with the op but I'm worrying about the practicalities. We have steps at the front of our house and our lounge and bedrooms are upstairs. Fortunately we do have a shower room/toilet both upstairs and down but there's no where downstairs we could put a bed.
    I'm also thinking about things like I won't be able to manage to cut my toe nails, shave my legs and colour my hair!
    I'm used to being busy - I spend a lot of time cooking/baking and gardening, I'm not very good at sitting quietly reading/listening to music and I don't like watching tv during the day.
    We relocated 18 months ago so we don't have close friends/family close by and this is another concern.
    Reading this back, I sound so negative.
  • stickywicket
    Not negative, barabrith – just worried. Of course you are. This is a big thing.

Don’t worry about steps. The Occupational Therapist will show you how to do them before you come home so you’ll be able to get to bed OK and having a downstairs loo is a big plus.

I can’t think of any reason why you can’t colour your hair – unless you normally use your feet to do it. Toe nails and leg shaving might be out for a while. That’s where husbands come in.

You may have to learn to sit still. There are two ways to ensure a THR doesn’t work as well as it might – one is doing to little afterwards and the other is doing too much. You will need to conserve your energy for the exercises which will ensure ALL muscles work well, not just the ones you use by walking and you will probably have to sit on your instincts to do more. This won’t be for long but it is very necessary and, if the weeds grow in the garden for a while, there’s always next year.

I think my oldest THR is around 17 or 18 now. Well worth it.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    Hi Again,
    I know we worry about the practicalities but they get sorted.
    The OT will take you through it all before you leave.....Its relatively easy to manage the stairs....What was I told was... Good leg {not operated on} up to heaven and bad leg {just operated} down to hell. Thats the order you do it in :lol::lol: I had to really think about it at the bottom of the stairs each time :oops:
    Downstairs loo is great and you'll get raised loo seats for any toilet you need it for.
    As for your toes nails...get on to your GP now and see if they can get you an appointment with a podiatrist or the assistant just for cutting them. Thats what I did
    How often does your hair need colouring.These are the sort of things {colour cut etc} that you get done the day before you go in....or thereabouts. :wink:
    I've just noticed sticky has posted when I was part way through this ...I had to answer the phone.
    She is right about relaxing. Its not easy......but necessary....usually for about 6 weeks
    Just ask if you want to know anything more about your situation in particular...we are all different

Love
    Hileena
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi
    And welcome to the forum
    Sorry I have know advice..not had mine done yet, but itr is getting nearer every time I see my consultant.
    You will worry, I do that all the time, l8ike the others have said you will be shown hoe to do steps and other things before you are sent home
    I have just had an injection in my hip, and a camera to see what was going on...and in the ward there were people recovering from there THR, and I was watching the physio to get some tips....ie crutches and getting in and out of bed...and I was worrying about nothing
    I do wish you well with everything x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    When I had a massive ovarian cyst removed we put a bed in the dining room and I slept there for about two months. (We have a ground floor bathroom.) We did it again for both my knee open synovectomies and the one closed one. It's actually now my preferred bedroom but we have to sleep on the first floor. :( The mantra for doing steps with poorly joints is 'Good leg to heaven (for going up) Bad leg to hell.' (for coming down) so this should get you up the few steps to your house once you are out from hospital. Legs, hair and toenails can all go to pot for a few weeks because they just have to and I am sure you will still be loved for who you are even if you can plait your shin hair. :)

The positives of surgery can far outweigh the negatives if you are prepared to put in the work both before and after the operation. You should try to get your muscles as strong as they can be pre-op (I am sure they will advise you on suitable but gentle exercises) and then do the post-op exercises conscientiously. It is not, alas, a case of 'Here is a new joint, rest for two days then go and play tennis.' which is often the impression the surgeons give: recuperation and convalescence can take a deal of time as all surgery is a shock to the body BUT just envisage a life with greatly reduced pain plus greatly enhanced mobility and how lovely that will be. That will make three-six months 'out' (as it were) so worthwhile. I am having to wait for another two years before I may be offered a new knee or two, god knows what damage is now being wrought on my other joints as my knees are shot. By the time I get there I reckon I'll deem it a waste of time! Go for it, you have very little to lose and possibly a great deal to gain. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barabrith
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply - it's having a very calming effect on me and helping me get things into proportion. It's also nice to hear from people who really understand what it's like to be in this situation.
    I just want to find out the actual date now so everyone knows where they are (my husband has lots of commitments with work which will be very difficult to cancel).
    My daughter (aged 22) asked me last night if I'd have to stay in overnight!!!
  • dreamdaisy
    I think perhaps you will! :) Hopefully they will keep you in for a couple of days at least, just to give you a good chance to really rest and get used to matters, and to make sure that you are happy with things before you leave. DD
  • stickywicket
    Give your daughter - and husband - some of the stuff to read up on, either that provided by the hospital or in AC's booklet. It is a big, though routine, op and you need the household to run around your needs when you first get out. It does sound very selfish but the more attention you can give to your needs in the early days, the sooner you'll be back to normal with a good hip .

I see wendgro has just put up a thread saying she's back home from her THR. You might find it interesting to follow her progress.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    Hi,
    I went on on Friday and came out on Monday......just long enough.
    You recover better in your own home that is familiar rather than the hospital.

Love
    Hileena
  • mp1952
    mp1952 Member Posts: 425
    Hi Barabrith

I had a THR two years ago and it has been a great success. i live in a terrace house with very very steep stairs but actually i found it so much easier to go up and down the stairs (using crutches) when I got home than I did before I had the op. I dont have a downstairs toilet or bathroom either, so was up and down the stairs many times a day, using crutches, and was fine.

Unfortunately I had not done any exercises before the op and had been 'protecting' my bad hip and trying not to use it for about 18 months before the op, so my muscles were very weak, and i think that definitely made my recovery slower. It took me a full 12 months to feel comfortable walking again.

Marion
  • barabrith
    Hello again everyone

I've now had the date for the operation -22 May, so I have plenty of time to get myself organised.
    I'm not sure what to take in the way of daytime clothing, "loose clothing" is specified - I normally live in jeans or fitted trousers and I guess they're going to be out. Would I need stuff I can put on over my head such as dresses or skirts (which I never wear and it would seem daft to buy new stuff) or would I be able to get into loose crop trousers? Any advice would be welcome.

Marion - it's good to hear your hip replacement went well. I've started the exercises but must admit I'm doing the ones I find easy more!
  • hileena111
    Hi
    Glad you've got a date now.
    I wore jersey type trousers with an elasticated waist...easy to pull up and down. I also bought a couple of track suits....similar sort of thing buyt a bit smarter. I hate dresses/skirt....whats a dress?????? :lol:
    I was advised to get a size bigger in pants because of swelling {possible}
    I think you should be able to getinto loose crop trousers....mine was done in the winter so needed a bit more heat :lol: They were cheap trouser suits from prim***k and the jersey ones I happened to come across them in a small catalogue....2 for £18 so I thought right.....I'll get my wear out of those.
    Love
    Hileena
  • stickywicket
    barabrith wrote:
    I've started the exercises but must admit I'm doing the ones I find easy more!

Naughty, naughty, barabrith :lol: The others are needed more.

As for hospital clothes - tight trousers are no good. You need stuff that's easy to get on & off. Also your leg and/or foot will probably be swollen for a while. i took loose fitting trousers. Skirts would be OK but I don't have any :roll:
    Steven Wright
  • itsme
    itsme Member Posts: 1
    i had hip replacement 3 years ago but am now getting pain again. have seen on the news and in papers the dangers of metal to metal hip replacements.told my doc bout it but she didnt seem to care. they say should have it checked every year and blood tests done. where do i go from here? just dont know what to do next. anyone help me please
  • stickywicket
    Hello itsme and welcome to the forum. I don't think we've 'met' before and I'm sorry you're currently having trouble with your THR.

I have two THRs and I was planning to ask my orthopaedic surgeon, when next I see him, if either of them are the metal on metal type. Do you not have any follow up appointments with your own orthopaedic surgeon? If not, especially if your prosthesis is giving problems, your GP could arrange for you to see him again.

Alternatively, I would have thought that your GP could possibly find out what sort of implant you had. She is your first port of call. If you find her unhelpful, is there another doc in the practice that you could see?

Bear in mind though that, in the survey, only 6.2% of these implants failed through metal fatigue within 5 years. That means that 93.8% didn't. I think, if your hip is hurting, it might be worth getting it checked out in any case but, in your situation - and I guess, to some extent I am in your situation - I wouldn't worry unduly in the meantime.
    Steven Wright
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    DON'T Have it done On the plus side No Pain Good nights sleep. BUT on the minus side You have to walk the dog Do the garden Go shopping with the wife Climb stairs and take exercise Only kidding best thing that ever happened to me I can now do all these things :D:D:D
  • dreamdaisy
    Oi, Tone mate, you been on that Spanish fizz again? I think you might mean DO have it done 'cos all those minuses are really pluses. It's called life and I guess it's lovely. DD
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Barabrith

well you sound all sorted :) sorry l missed your thread.

I have just read it from beginning to end and it has made me smile and laugh too. Your daughter (at 22!!) bless her heart. My MIL was supposed to be out in 3 days and you will be surprised how quickly you get mobile again.

You might be able to get a bed downstairs you know(where the settee is??, but the loo downstairs will be a great help l think. As for toenails - a good trim before op l think and well that daughter...bet she can shave legs :lol:

Having said that l was all for you going for it until l read Tonesp's post :shock: All the things you will have to do :lol: especially walking the dog! Will you even have to GET one :shock: :lol:

Take care

Love

Toni xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    itsme wrote:
    i had hip replacement 3 years ago but am now getting pain again. have seen on the news and in papers the dangers of metal to metal hip replacements.told my doc bout it but she didnt seem to care. they say should have it checked every year and blood tests done. where do i go from here? just dont know what to do next. anyone help me please
    Hi itsme

Welcome to the forums from me :D

In your shoes l would return to the GP (with someone husband/friend for support)as he/she will have info on file about which type of replacement you had.

Either way l would have thought you would be entitled to ask for at least an Xray or something to 'see' what is going on.

LOve

Toni xx
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Oi, Tone mate, you been on that Spanish fizz again? I think you might mean DO have it done 'cos all those minuses are really pluses. It's called life and I guess it's lovely. DD
    Meant what I said DD Lived a lovely idle life full of excuses before THR Now have to get on with it and do things Was just joking though !!! :lol::lol::lol: