Ouch my back hurts

Betheo
Betheo Member Posts: 4
edited 1. Apr 2012, 05:19 in Say Hello Archive
Morning everyone, I've just joined on here today and thought I'd introduce myself. I have OA in my spine and my disks have had it! I'm 40 years old. It's taken my doctor nearly a year to diagnose this as I live in an area rife with people taking advantage of the system, but I'm not one of them! I work full time and plan to do so for as long as I'm breathing! From the other posts I've looked at I'm pretty similar, pain levels vary and walking any kind of distance is a slow painful process. I'm looking around to find as many ways as I can to keep going (in fighting mood atm) it seems I'm one of the lucky ones I have an incredible fella who nags and moans at me and looks after me all the time we're together (we don't live together) and two kids (boys) 17 and 14 who are pretty good at helping their mum out most of the time.
My body may be falling apart but the mind is active and happy.
I've joined hear to find people who understand the pain, and the day to day fight, to help through the tough bits and to do the same for others, and to get ideas for getting through each day.
Thanks for reading my story
Betheo

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Betheo, it's DreamDaisy calling from Ipswich! My husband is off to your neck of the woods soon, he's been invited to NCFC's home game because he supports the Tractor Boys. I guess it's a bloke thing. :roll: He works in Keswick so gets plenty of stick at the moment about the league differences between the teams.

I have OA in my knees and ankles thanks to the damage caused by my auto-immune version of arthritis, so I have hit a rather unlucky jackpot. I use crutches and a rollator for getting about when I am up to it but you are right, there are plenty of hints and tips for coping with the arthritic life and I hope you find the forum as informative and supportive as I. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello betheo. Well, if you want 'people who understand pain' I think you've landed in the right place :lol:

I'm sorry about the OA. I have that too, now, though my spine is - touch wood - not at all bad. Mostly mine's RA though.

'An incredible fellow who nags and moans' - hm, yes, don't they all :roll: However, the looking after you is good. I got a good one too (Though I don't tell him that too often in case he starts to believe it :) ) and it makes a huge difference.

I like your fighting spirit. I'm sure it'll help. I'll look forward to seeing your name around the forums. Just get stuck in anywhere.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Betheo

Good to meet you l am Toni and have also got back issues as well as neck ones all OA and of course some inflammatory malarlkey which affects the other bits.

It took them about 20 years to diagnose my back pain too so l really sympathise :(

I have 3 girls (one step) aged 17, 16 and 14 so guess we have a bit in common :wink: .

Lovely to meet you

Toni xxx
  • Betheo
    Betheo Member Posts: 4
    Hey guys

Lovely to meet you all, it makes a difference knowing there are people you can talk to that understand your pain. Especially ones that have a similar life to you! Sometimes I see people staring at me as I struggle along with my stick and you can see them looking at you as an oddity. The other half made me laugh the other day, I've had a really bad week and we were slowly staggering back home (well I was staggering he was keeping to my speed :) ) I had another bad spasm and leant on his shoulder, as someone walks past and stares he grinned at them and said 'she's terrible, can't hold her drink at all' funny thing was he'd been drinking and I hadn't! Hehe.
    Thanks for saying hi and words of support, lovely to meet you guys

Beth x
    Betheo