Change of day on Methotrexate

postal12
postal12 Member Posts: 20
Hi. I have been on Methotrexate for over 2 years and just have a small query please. We are going away for our Silver Wedding Anniversary and on that day, Wednesday is the day that I take my medication followed by folic acid the next day. Would it be possible for me to take the Methotrexate 15 mg the day before so that I can have a celebratory drink(s) as I dont think you are meant to drink alcohol the day you take the medication? I would then take the folic acid the next day. If this was possible, can I then revert back to my usual day (Wednesday) the following week? Would appreciate your advice please. Very many thanks Angela

Comments

• MrDJ
    MrDJ Member Posts: 273
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Angela
    we could advise but we could be wrong so when it comes to mtx you will need to phone the nurse on the rhumy helpline to advise as they will need to note it in your medical notes.

i stopped drinking altogether when i started mtx but once or twice a year i stop them for a week and go o a total bender :lol: and i mean a bender and im still here.
    they may turn round and say one drink would be fine but its defo worth the check with the experts.

congrat on your anniversary as well.
  • postal12
    Hi. Thanks for your kind comments and reply. I will check with my Rheumatology Nurse to see what is recommended. If I am ever on antibiotics I have to come off the Methotrexate for a week but dont really want to do this if I dont need to.

Very many thanks and best wishes

Angela
  • MrDJ
    MrDJ Member Posts: 273
    your welcome.

its a vicious circle isnt it. take mtx which lowers your imune system so your supseptable to more infections. then have to stop them when your on anti biotics otherwise the biotics wont work.
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Hi Angela

Thanks for your posting.

The information we have on methotrexate is that you should only drink alcohol in small amounts (up to 4 units a week). See http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/drugs/methotrexate/risks.aspx.

As MrDJ mentioned, its best to check with your rheumatology nurse to see what they say.

You are welcome to ring our helplines on 0808 800 4050 if you would like to have a chat.

Regards

Nick
    Helplines Team
  • postal12
    Hi Angela

Thanks for your posting.

The information we have on methotrexate is that you should only drink alcohol in small amounts (up to 4 units a week). See http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/drugs/methotrexate/risks.aspx.

As MrDJ mentioned, its best to check with your rheumatology nurse to see what they say.

You are welcome to ring our helplines on 0808 800 4050 if you would like to have a chat.

Regards

Nick
    Helplines Team

Hi Nick. Thanks for coming back to me. I dont drink more than 4 units of alcohol a week and none on the MTX or Folic Acid days. Have spoken to my Rheumy Nurse and she said it is OK for that week to take my MTX a day earlier with Folic Acid the next day.
    Best wishes Angela