petrol and holidays

ruby2
ruby2 Member Posts: 423
edited 2. Apr 2012, 14:32 in Community Chit-chat archive
If the petrol situation gets worse.
(Most stations here are allowing £20 max to put in that's after queuing for an hour).
My destination is 400 miles away will the holiday company be understanding?
Ruby

Comments

• coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    if worst comes to worst visit several petrol stations untill you have a full tank. its what we did last time. on your to your holiday destination top up the tank whenever youstop. it wont be impossible even if they go on strike as the army ha e been dragged in and trained loads of drivers to make delivories, just plan ahead and go and enjoy your holiday im sure you deserve it
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    At our supermarket there was a queue but not a long one. When is your holiday and to what extent is the ‘holiday company’ involved? If flights come into it, they won’t be able to hold them up but, if it’s just a holiday apartment or cottage or hotel you could always ring them up in advance to explain and make arrangements for your potential late arrival. I think that’d be worst case scenario though.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Ruby
    There are talk of getting the army to do deliveries, I do hope that can get on your holidays....like one of the others have said pay a visit to a few garages...
    My worry would be getting back, hopefully it wont last long x
    Love
    Barbara
  • MrDJ
    MrDJ Member Posts: 273
    last time this happened we was given a letter and sign for car window of emergency services but you try jumping the queue when theres 10-15 cars in front of you, even when we were ushered in by the police.

AA said yesterday not to start panic buying as a date still hasnt been set and then today no. 10 says fill up and carry jerry cans with you as well.
    does he know something that we dont. oh, hes the prime minister, of course he does.
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    I'm thinking of filling up very early one morning, most stations are 24hrs and I doubt there will be queues at that time.
    It's awful to think of people in situations like ours running out, my car is my lifeline to the outside world.. Lol
    I'm not panicking, I don't do panic haha..
    I really don't believe strikes should be allowed (gonna probably get hate mail and death threats now lol)..... Basically, it's blackmail, and blackmail is illegal...
    There are far too many folks out there taking their jobs for granted, and there's a Hell of a lot that would give anything to be working.. Sometimes they strike for petty things when it boils down to it.
    Just be glad you're able to work and have a job...

Right, please forward any hate mail and/or death that's to:
    David Cameron (that's my erm, real name, honest)
    10 Downing Street
    Blah blah
    :D

e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    coco67 wrote:
    if worst comes to worst visit several petrol stations untill you have a full tank. its what we did last time. on your to your holiday destination top up the tank whenever youstop. it wont be impossible even if they go on strike as the army ha e been dragged in and trained loads of drivers to make delivories, just plan ahead and go and enjoy your holiday im sure you deserve it

Coco??? Is that you???

Hello there :D

Sorry Ruby for going off-topic :oops:

In your shoes l would call into as many petrol stations as yo can till you have enough :)

Love

Toni xxx
  • ruby2
    Thanks guys!
    Sticky the cottage has been booked through a large reputable company, I will contact them today.
    Barbara I worry about getting back too! :)

Good luck with the mail Tony :)

Mr DJ I remember that situation too, at the time I used my car for a job in NHS we were issued with a letter..but people were getting them copied and they became worthless, 10 years on I cant see people letting you jump the queue for any reason. :o
    Thanks Toni too!
    Ruby
  • MrDJ
    MrDJ Member Posts: 273
    spot on Ruby. thats exactly what happened. as coppying was quite expensive then i heard of the letters being sold for a tenner each. makes ya sick as it would be so much worse now as nearly everyone has a computer and a printer.
    in the end we was told to wear our uniforms when going to the petrol station so i used to turn up in my scrubs but still got abuse. now cross infection issues are in force you cant wear uniform outside the hospital so i wonder if this does get out of hand what form of identification they will want. blood or dna sample i guess.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    The Government and the Beeb are doing a superb job in stirring up feelings of panic and worry. :roll: Strike action is not a given, no dates have been suggested as yet, but sure enough we're all topping up: fuel sales have gone up by 45% in the past couple of days even at the outrageous prices they charge, so stocks will fall and the price will go up again as it becomes a rare commodity even without a strike! Get in! Happy days for Shell, BP, Total etc and the Government as more tax revenu rolls in. :roll: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    It could be a long journey Ruby!

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    i wouldn't mind but they've already bought the fuel at a cheaper price, never pass savings on.. And, why is fuel one of the only things you don't get discount on when buying in bulk? you can bet ya backside they get a mahoosive discount when they buy in bulk, and us fools lose out once more :roll:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • coco67
    i hope you manage to get away ruby and have a great time xxx
  • ruby2
    Yes Elizabeth
    Its quite long enough 6 hours plus, and to queue at each services would double it.
    DD yes it is down to government comments I agree.

MrDJ..scary thought but what other option could there be? :o

Thank you Coco67 :)

If it wasn't for going on holiday my car would probably remain on the drive for half term just my luck. :)
    Ruby
  • ruby2
    Perhaps I could post myself to my destination before the stamps go up! :D
    Ruby
  • coco67
    :shock: Ruby2 :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: you did make me laff thank you. have a safe trip down there and enjoy xxxx

what ever you do dont get yoddel to deliver you they just throw there parcels on the doorstep and we want more care than that for you xx
  • freesia
    freesia Member Posts: 409
    ruby2 wrote:
    Perhaps I could post myself to my destination before the stamps go up! :D

That's hilarious..... made me really laugh....xxx

Hope you get there safely xx
    hugs freesia xxx
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    Dont you just love the press and the government :!: :!: but who are the fools that are out panic buying :? ??? No strike has been called no meeting held yet... the usual mess before a bank holiday :roll: ...makes a change from airport controllers.... mind you there is still time for them to join in :)
  • ruby2
    Perhaps they influence more than we think!
    Because they usually say the weather for the bank holidays is looking good.
    We plan our excursions...and it rains, so lots of petrol bought and the tourist spots get lots of tourists. :)
    Ruby
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    lupin15 wrote:
    Dont you just love the press and the government :!: :!: but who are the fools that are out panic buying :? ??? No strike has been called no meeting held yet... the usual mess before a bank holiday :roll: ...makes a change from airport controllers.... mind you there is still time for them to join in :)[/quote]

Eeeek!!

Lupin - l'm off on my hols on Wednesday :shock:

Love

Toni xx
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    Hubby out looking fuel today... we are off soon to...fingers crossed for all.
  • waddle
    waddle Member Posts: 116
    hope hubby finds some fuel. have a safe trip and relax and enjoy your time away xxx
    Waddle :)
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    The weather is set to change Ruby. It's going to get much colder.

Have a lovely holiday and rest,

Elizabeth :D
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • ruby2
    Thank you lovely people.
    There is wifi available so may pop in to see you all.
    If not ..see you next week. 8)
    Ruby
  • waddle
    waddle Member Posts: 116
    i see they are saying there will be no strikes over easter now, hopefully things at the pumps will settle down now,

ruby2 i hope you have a good holiday and now no worries about fuel :shock:
    Waddle :)
  • ruby2
    Arrived in 4.5 hours best time ever and with a break (usually takes around 6).....roads very clear due to all panic buyers sitting at home trying to save their petrol and not use it. So Thank Mr Government you made the motorways a lot safer place.! maybe its a strategy for the future!! :D
    Ruby