Stamps - it's time to stock up.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 30. Mar 2012, 15:57 in Community Chit-chat archive
The cost of postage is rising at the end of April by a staggering amount. First class is rising to 60p and second to 50p. Whatever you buy now will have to be honoured by the PO so I for one will be buying a few quids worth of second calss every week whilst I can.

I am sick and tired of being a 'captive' audience to various businesses. I know I can email etc but that ain't quite the same as a handwritten (or hand-scrawled in my case) card for a birthday or Christmas or a proper thank you letter. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Not sure if you all have superdrug near you, but they had 5% off stamps when I went in Monday..and the girl was saying there is a big rise coming in April...
    Its disgusting how they can do this..like you say DD we are a captive audience..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Rehab
    Rehab Bots Posts: 9
    A little tip; If you collect stamps or have a stamp collection all the stamps that have 1st class or 2nd class you can legally use doesn't matter when you purchased them.
  • dreamdaisy
    Thank you for the clarification rehab, I thought that that what was I had posted but obviously I did not make it clear. I do remember reading that those on certain benefits would not be affected by the rise but I cannot remember what the benefits were :oops: - neither do I know if that will still apply. DD
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    Thanks rehab You have answered my next question.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Rehab and/or lululu, could you help me out here please? I thought I’d understood DD until Rehab’s post which seemed to say more or less the same thing but referring to stamp collections. Aren’t stamp collections all about used stamps? (They were back in the 1950s when I had one.)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • freesia
    freesia Member Posts: 409
    Thanks for the tip....!!

I'll be stocking up next week....!!
    :D
    hugs freesia xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    Ah, Sticky, I made the assumption that rehab meant a hoard (or collection) of current stamps. Just to be utterly clear on this the PO (sorry, Post Office) is duty-bound to honour the price paid on a stamp no matter when it is sent, so stock up now, use 'em for your Christmas cards and all should be well. DD
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    I'm thinking of using all the pre paid (franked) envelopes that come with all the bumpfth you get with credit card bills, dss letters etc.. Just stick a big sticker over the address already there with the new one and hey presto, them buggers are paying you to send stuff lol...
    And I'm not even a pensioner :shock: Lol

Just to clarify, I won't actually be doing this but you go ahead and pinch the idea if you like :D:D:D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    :lol:

You know what? you were all saying the same/similar things.

The money-saving-expert on radio 2 yesterday said so long as they have 1st class or 2nd class on them, (rather than an amount of money), they will be honored. In 'perpetuity' he said :shock:

Love

Toni xx
  • Rehab
    Rehab and/or lululu, could you help me out here please? I thought I’d understood DD until Rehab’s post which seemed to say more or less the same thing but referring to stamp collections. Aren’t stamp collections all about used stamps? (They were back in the 1950s when I had one.)

Hell no I have inherited my fathers stamp collection, he gave them to me a few years ago, he has been collecting since he was 13, he is now 69. The stamps are a mix of used and perfectly preserved mint stamps. There are first day covers, a collection of stamps that commemorate a range of UK events including a pack to commemorate the opening of the channel tunnel which has British and French commemorative stamps and a coin.

All the stamps apart from the tunnel ones are British and some of them are beautifully designed are more like a work of art then just a stamp. I had them valued for the house insurance a few years ago, I had a local 'collector' come and value them as I have no idea and he said £200 and is willing to buy them from me. I had a real collector come and gave me a proper valuation and lets just say that I can go away abroad for a month with what he valued them at and told me not to sell unless I really have to as every year will see them increase in value. What I would like to do is mount the best of them in small frames and hang them on my bedroom wall.
  • stickywicket
    Thank you. At last I understand. After DD's last explanation I nearly came back to say 'But I still don't get it' :oops: I've finally got the message that you were referring to special editions and such like.

But that raises another question. Surely, the price of ordinary stamps would have to go up by considerably more to make it worth putting these on an envelope?
    Steven Wright
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    For those of us old enough to remember ''old money'', 50p is the equivalent of a ten bob note. How incredulous we would have been if told that ten bob would be the price of one second class stamp which doesn't even guarantee delivery for days on end.

Oh dear, I think I'm rapidly turning into a grumpy old woman :!: :shock:
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • dreamdaisy
    It does seem like an exorbitant price but the only place I could deliver my post to more cheaply would be to my neighbours in the terrace - and I don't often write to them. :) I reckon just taking the car off the drive to shift the necessary wheelie bins out for collection must cost about 50p in fuel. :shock: OK, so the post takes a while to get to its destination but it usually does. Well, eventually. Apart from brown envelopes - they gallop through the letter box! DD
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    talking of which, did you get anything better than a brown envelope through your post box? :D:D:D
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    It does seem like an exorbitant price but the only place I could deliver my post to more cheaply would be to my neighbours in the terrace - and I don't often write to them. :) I reckon just taking the car off the drive to shift the necessary wheelie bins out for collection must cost about 50p in fuel. :shock: OK, so the post takes a while to get to its destination but it usually does. Well, eventually. Apart from brown envelopes - they gallop through the letter box! DD
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    joanlawson wrote:
    For those of us old enough to remember ''old money'', 50p is the equivalent of a ten bob note. How incredulous we would have been if told that ten bob would be the price of one second class stamp which doesn't even guarantee delivery for days on end.

Oh dear, I think I'm rapidly turning into a grumpy old woman :!: :shock:

l think they said on the radio that the penny black would have cost them the equivalent of £3.50, (ish memory isn't what it used to be :oops: ), nowadays so that would make our stamps a bargain :shock:

Love

Toni xx
  • Rehab
    tjt6768 wrote:
    I'm thinking of using all the pre paid (franked) envelopes that come with all the bumpfth you get with credit card bills, dss letters etc.. Just stick a big sticker over the address already there with the new one and hey presto, them buggers are paying you to send stuff lol...
    And I'm not even a pensioner :shock: Lol

Just to clarify, I won't actually be doing this but you go ahead and pinch the idea if you like :D:D:D

As the postage on those envelopes are not prepaid as when its sent back to the addressee they are charged for the return journey but if you want some fun.......

There is nothing better than re-cycling. Wait while you get a job lot of junk mail & empty crereal boxes, then fill at will the pre-paid envelopes with all the tat. They only pay about 10p in postage to receive them, so fill them up as heavy as you can get them.

I usualy cross out the persons job title and put 'sales promotion manager' or 'chief bin filler' or 'crap sender in chief' for extra merryment. I somtimes write a small note offering these banks my own service of rubbish returner to them at the bargain rate of 0% & telling them that due to the local refuse collection service only coming round once a fortnight my bin cant cope so thay can have some of mine.

They have to pay the excess weight charge on top of the return fee. They soon take you off their mailing list. I often wonder what Capital One Bank did with the house brick I wrapped up & fastened the business reply envelope to. Just pop down to the local post office , they have to by law to deliver it.
  • stickywicket
    I used to do that, Rehab, but I resented the amount of time I spent on it so I just went on the Postal Preference Service. You do still get the odd thing - stuff that's automatically delivered to every household - but very little. It's free and you can just google it.
    Steven Wright
  • Rehab
    Its much more fun sending bricks through the post to unsuspecting double glazing companies or credit card companies, I wonder if they have a stack of them in the mail room :)