Hi there Newbie here

julesb67
julesb67 Member Posts: 3
edited 29. Mar 2012, 13:47 in Say Hello Archive
Hi there everyone

Just thought I would pop in and say hello, just having a look around and reading lots!!! I have questions re OA having had it for 10 years and not much bother now have severe pain and difficulty walking, doctor says there is nothing I can do and physio wont help me Im just to keep taking co-codamol for pain relief!! Dont know if that is that and I have to just shut up and put up or if there is anything else I can get help with to make life easier..... I am working full time and finding it more and more difficult... any info ideas or links would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks
Jules xx

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello, it's lovely to meet you and I am glad you have found us. This will only be a brief answer as someone is ringing me in a mo but yup, with OA there is not a deal to be done apart from exercise and pain relief. An anti-inflammatory may be prescribed at some point but it is, basically, 'put up and shut up'. I have it both knees and ankles, the knees are the worst-affected but the ankles are not that far behind! I also have an auto-immune arthritis and it is the damage from that which has led to the OA.

Some folk find a little benefit from taking supplements whereas others don't, but I guess they won't harm so it's always worth a try to discover to which camp you belong. I now use a rollator foe the majority of my outdoor walking, but on the better days I can downgrade to the crutches. I also have a Blue Badge which is invaluable. Queries about meds etc are dealt with on the Living With Arthritis forum, the other titles here are self-explanatory. Right, it's time for a cuppa and a natter with a friend! Take care and I hope to see your name here and there very soon. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello Jules and welcome from me too.

As DD says, with OA it's pain relief and exercise followed by surgery. The good news is, I've done the surgery and would definitely recommend it.

I'm surprised your doc has said physio won't help as exercise is usually recommended for OA. It keeps the muscles strong. Strong muscles support the joints better. Supported joints hurt less. maybe your doc believes that, if you're working, you'll get enough exercise but it mightn't be helping all the right muscles. Have a look at the booklet on Exercise (Publications & Resources at the top of the page.) swimming is also supposed to be a very good exercise as the water supports the joints while they are moving.

If nothing else, you'll find lots of support and friendship on here. Most people understand the need to let off steam occasionally. Just wander around and chip in wherever you wish.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Jules67

Glad you found us and really hope you decide to hang around :wink:

You dont have to shut up or put up at all. Lots can be done to help your pain to be honest. there are so many different pain meds to try - l dont know what you ahve been on and are on now, but ask away and people will tell you what they are on.

We usually advise each other to write a list of our pain (and grade it 1-10) then add how it affects us what we can't do (maybe walk so many yards or get into the bath etc. This can help GPs to understand how bad it is for us.

Also best if you can to go to appointments with someone for support. Some of us have been to pain clinics and l have been on the arthritis-care course 'challenge your long-term condition'. That helped a lot.

Will be quiet now other than to say WELCOME from me.

Love

Toni xx
  • julesb67
    julesb67 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you everyone for your comments and ideas - they are a great help!! I am really struggling to keep pain at bay at the minute and am not sleeping well either so feeling fed up and grumpy!! Ill have a mooch around and see what new ideas I can find.... Just one thing I wanted to ask it is mentioned ina few places that walking is good for you.... I can barely stand on my legs and walking is extremley painful and my knees just constantly crack and feel like they are going to give way, the only way I can describe it is that I fee like bambie when taking steps all wobbly and unsteady.... Is this how everyone feels?

Thanks everyone

Jules xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I have bone-on-bone in both knees and my ankles are not that far behind either. Every step is like walking on shards of glass but hey-ho, that's arthritis. Walking is necessary for keeping one's leg muscles as toned as possible and yes, it hurts, but I think one just has to trudge on. I use crutches on the better days and today I took my rollator for a walk in the sun. I'm fifiteen years into this and I know it isn't going to get any better so I just grit my teeth and get on with it. At least with the rollator I can sit every now and again as it has a seat - bliss! Do you use a stick? That can make a deal of difference - you use it on the opposite side to the affected joint and it will take some of the strain away. If both knees are duff then two sticks is the answer but elbow crutches give superior support. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Jules
    Its lovely to have you on board only Im sorry you had to find us, any questions you have post them in LWA, and if you want some light relief come into chitchat.
    I do hope to hear more from you very soon. x
    Love
    Barbara