Honey Bees

barbara12
barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
edited 10. Apr 2012, 07:07 in Community Chit-chat archive
Please be aware that honey bees look a little like wasp, I was in a shop today when the assistant hit one with a paper and killed it.
I have heard quite a few people saying we have had lots of wasp, but at this time of the year they are more likely to be Bees, and the poor things are in decline.
Love
Barbara

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    There is a difference between the two but it can be hard to tell. Poor honey bee, they are lovely lovely things UNLIKE WASPS. :x I loathe wasps. I will be careful Barbara12, I must admit I keep my windows shut for fear of letting in flies. I cannot stand them either! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    i dont mind bees but i loath wasps, it can be hard to tell which is which when there buzzing around you but i tend to let them be when ever i can.

thanks barbara xxx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I've just seen my first buzzy creature. It looked like a wasp but I'm sure it is too early in the year for them.

E :D
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • barbara12
    Must say I am terrified of wasp...I am sure they enjoy stinging people..now Bees are different ...they go about there business pollinating the flowers and Veg..wasp do tend to come out later..
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Barbara. Barbara. What have you done? :shock:

I read your post, went to the loo and found it already occupied, by a wasp. But, was it a wasp? Or, was it a honey bee? Mr Google wasn’t a great deal of help so I decided to take no chances.

I squeezed between the loo and the wall to open the window. I removed the bleach from the windowsill and stood it on the cistern. Now I could just manage to touch the key with one finger, turn it and, hopefully, push the handle upwards to release the catch on the window. But I couldn’t push hard enough. I opted to try to bang the handle upwards with the back of my hand. That was when I knocked the bleach into the loo. :roll:

Meanwhile the honey-wasp-bee buzzed away angrily. I squeezed in a bit further. The angle was tighter now but I finally managed to shove the handle up a bit. Then a bit more….and a bit more. The catch was released and another shove opened the window - and nearly sent me diving into the loo after the bleach. The creature at least had the decency to exit immediately.

I backed out, retrieved the bleach, washed it, washed me, went outside to shut the window, went back in to fasten it and breathed a sigh of relief.

That’s when I noticed the bumble bee in the dining room.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    Barbara. Barbara. What have you done? :shock:

I read your post, went to the loo and found it already occupied, by a wasp. But, was it a wasp? Or, was it a honey bee? Mr Google wasn’t a great deal of help so I decided to take no chances.

I squeezed between the loo and the wall to open the window. I removed the bleach from the windowsill and stood it on the cistern. Now I could just manage to touch the key with one finger, turn it and, hopefully, push the handle upwards to release the catch on the window. But I couldn’t push hard enough. I opted to try to bang the handle upwards with the back of my hand. That was when I knocked the bleach into the loo. :roll:

Meanwhile the honey-wasp-bee buzzed away angrily. I squeezed in a bit further. The angle was tighter now but I finally managed to shove the handle up a bit. Then a bit more….and a bit more. The catch was released and another shove opened the window - and nearly sent me diving into the loo after the bleach. The creature at least had the decency to exit immediately.

I backed out, retrieved the bleach, washed it, washed me, went outside to shut the window, went back in to fasten it and breathed a sigh of relief.

That’s when I noticed the bumble bee in the dining room.
    See what I mean...no need to kill um... :lol::lol: OMG I am hiding under the table here in case you come looking for me... :oops: :lol: dont forget worker Bees are slim unlike the big bumble Bee..
    Love
    Barbara
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    there are definitely wasps about.. Nasty little swines..
    Lots of lovely bumbbellybees too :D
    Sticky, what a carry on lol...
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • ruby2
    ruby2 Member Posts: 423
    So what are the big fat stripy ones that look too heavy to fly?

Very confused now Barbara!

I ended up in hospital once when something stung me (10 days I was there seriously ill).

Not sure if it was a bee or a wasp ..and seeing as it didn't care what I was I may stick with my survival instinct and waft it away :shock:
    Ruby
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    We have a lot of bees here They are usually black very easily distinguished from wasps HOWEVER a little bit of research will show that wasps do have a use They are predators that do kill a lot of garden pests
  • barbara12
    ruby2 wrote:
    So what are the big fat stripy ones that look too heavy to fly?

Very confused now Barbara!

I ended up in hospital once when something stung me (10 days I was there seriously ill).

Not sure if it was a bee or a wasp ..and seeing as it didn't care what I was I may stick with my survival instinct and waft it away :shock:
    Hi Ruby..the big ones are the bumble Bees, but the worker Bees are smaller and slimmer...so they can be mistaken for wasp....I have only been stung once and that was a wasp...horrible things..but like Tones says they all have there use...nasty little buggers... :o
    Love
    Barbara
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    Bet you can tell a good horror story sticky.

I think Bees are yellow and black striped and wasps are more browny, no need to kill any though.

Vinager is good for wasp stings as wasps syings are alkaline.

Bi-carb is good for bee stings as bee stings are acid.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    In Florida once my husband was attacked by one of their waspythingys

it was bright orangey yellow and it came AT him :shock: left a huge swelling too.

Masonry bees are thin too aren't they?

Oh dear it's all so confusing :(

Love

Toni xx
  • stickywicket
    lululu wrote:
    Bet you can tell a good horror story sticky.

Thanks but I don't fancy writing my autobiography :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    There are various versions of bees - I found a honey one in the bedroom this morning and managed to persuade it to go out again, but wasps are very easy to tell. Two clearly-defined body segments, slim and 'crunchy' but I am very worried by hornets. :shock: DD
  • barbara12
    DD Hornets are worse than wasp....they are very aggressive when disturbed...mind you so am I.... :o
    my youngest son was out camping when they unknowingly pitched there tent near an hornets nest...my son was lucky to get away with 5 stings...but some of the kids spent a day in hospital ...they had so many ...
    Love
    Barbara
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Hope these pictures help. The trouble is that the wasp and bee are just the family name and there are many variations within that family.

Wasp (usually brighter coloured than a bee)

12_1649854_f520-1.jpg

Bee

honeybee2-1.jpg

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    I've got an insect catcher which doesn't kill them you just trap them and release outside.

FlyCatcher-1.jpg
    Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • stickywicket
    barbara12 wrote:
    DD Hornets are worse than wasp....they are very aggressive when disturbed...mind you so am I.... :o

Barbara I’m shocked :shock: . I’ve seen you in a whole new, scary, light :o:wink:

Webmanager and Legs – thank you. I’m still not sure I’ll manage to distinguish, particularly as I’m pretty sure not all varieties of bee would match your mugshot, Legs, but we have our own insect-catcher - an old sieve and a bit of cardboard permanently to hand in the summer to ease the lot out of our conservatory. Webmanager, I shall ensure that the bit of cardboard now bears the instructions ‘bees - your way: flies - the other’.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    webmanager wrote:
    Hi all
    felt I had to reply to this as my hubby is a beekeeper lol. The very black and yellow ones with yellow legs and probably in your house at the moment are queen wasps who have overwintered in your house. The warm weather will bring them out to go and set up a new nest outside. They will not really be a problem then untill August when all wasps gorge on sugar which is why they come into the garden then. Up until then they are useful to gardeners as they eat aphids.
    Honey bees are the same kind of shape as a wasp but softer yellow and brown or very dark brown, some of them can be almost black with very little yellow. They are presently working like mad to build up nectar and honey stores for the new bees that the queen is laying. Bees will attack only as a last resort and will always fly towards the light if they are inside. They are in decline and we need them :cry:
    There are also big bumble bees that look like they shouldn't be able to fly at all and solitary bees who live in little holes and a very smalll indeed.
    Anyway thank you for thinking about the bees my hubby will be so happy
    Best Wishes :)
    Thanks for that...I do hate to think that people kill Bees..or anything come to that...like you say they work so hard.....must say we went to our local garden centre the other day...and it was full of bumble Bees...it was lovely watching them going from flower to flower...
    Love
    Barbara
  • barbara12
    lindalegs wrote:
    I've got an insect catcher which doesn't kill them you just trap them and release outside.

FlyCatcher-1.jpg
    Luv,
    Thanks legs I think I might treat myself to one of these....urh just thought of something I really dislike...bluebottles ...dirty beggers... :x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    And don't they squish awful yellow stuff when you get 'em? (Bluebottles, that is, not bees. Never squish bees.) And Sticky, I agree with you - that IS a whole new side to our lovely Barbara! DD
  • barbara12
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    And don't they squish awful yellow stuff when you get 'em? (Bluebottles, that is, not bees. Never squish bees.) And Sticky, I agree with you - that IS a whole new side to our lovely Barbara! DD
    Just ask my hubby... :oops: :shock: :lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    Legs, I do apologise, I forgot my manners. :oops: Thank you for the illustrations, they were most helpful. DD
  • stickywicket
    barbara12 wrote:
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Just ask my hubby... :oops: :shock: :lol:

You even squish your husband :shock: ? Who is this wicked woman impersonating our lovely Barbara?
    Steven Wright
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    Excellent Sticky that is the best laugh for ages and did I read that someone I think it was DD crunches wasps I prefer Walkers