Undiagnosed....but signs are there!!!

orangehaze
orangehaze Member Posts: 6
Hi Everyone,

For the past few years been suffering with stiff painful joints. It includes ALL MY JOINTS. Over the last few months been getting dramatically worse to the point my walking is very restricted, also get very tied very quickly.
My knees are the worst, it is very spongy/springy when it is the most painful.
I have noticed also that I have got a very small cut on some my knuckles, the strange this is its no the same fingers on each hand, one on each little finger and one appearing on both ring fingers.

I have not been diagnosed yet the GP's I have seen do not seem to know, don't seem too interested to be honest. Until the last GP, she has taken a interest but still doesn't seem know but does have a suspicion its Rheumatoid Arthritis but not sure. I have been for a few blood tests in the past and have come back normal every time. I have had an X-ray that came back normal but got to have another X-ray but expect that to come back normal.

I am finding it hard to cope with as most days I'm in agony. I was hoping that anyone could give me some advise
Thank you
Orangehaze

Comments

• barking1
    barking1 Member Posts: 185
    edited 30. Mar 2012, 14:32
    Hi Orangehaze
    it really sounds like you need some thorough tests doing and your gp needs to refer you to a rhumatologist, my husband had ongoing extensive pain in lots of areas and after 17years was finally diagnosed with fibromyalgia, its so horrible not knowing what the problem is i hope you get sorted soon x Jane sorry forgot to say im not a member of the helpline team x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Orangehaze. Like barking1, I’m not a member of the Helpline team – just an ordinary forum member – but I thought I’d jump in to and welcome you to the forum as Please see note below

I’m sorry you’re in such pain and feeling frustrated. What are you taking for pain relief? If it’s not working there will be other paindullers which might help more.

Mine is RA but my diagnosis was easy. I know there are some forms of arthritis which are difficult to diagnose and it can be a long process. Have you seen a rheumatologist? They are better with these things than a GP.

I’m not sure about the cuts on your fingers. That doesn’t ring any bells with me. In your shoes I think, like barking1, I’d be asking for a referral to a rheumatologist and a change of meds, Meanwhile, you don’t have to wait until Monday to join in here. Living With Arthritis and Chit Chat are where most people hang out. Just dip in wherever you want.

Amended because the helplines team do look after their forum Chat to Helplines every weekend, and all the Bank Holidays.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • orangehaze
    Thank you for your kind replies!

I have not been refereed to a rheumatologist as of yet but will talk to my Doctor about a referral. The doctor did mention fibromyalgia but has ruled that out for the moment.
    As for meds I've tried Ibuprofen and have been prescribed Codeine but neither seem to work at all!
    Thank you again
    Orangehaze
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Hi orangehaze

I'm sorry to hear about the stiff painfull joints you are suffering from.

Getting an accurate diagnosis of whats going on and causing this is vital.

As barking1 and stickywicket mention asking your doctor to be referred to a rheumatologist (regardless of the results of any blood tests or scans/x-rays you have) is important, as they will have far more knowledge on inflamatory conditions.

For information on testing for arthritis see http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/conditions/arthritis/diagnosis.aspx and http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/inflammatory-arthritis-pathway.aspx.

You are welcome to ring our helplines on 0808 800 4050 if you would like to have a chat about your current situation.

Regards

Nick
    Helplines team
  • orangehaze
    Hi everyone
    Thanks you for your reply, I went to the GP today with my right hand middle finger has seized up its bent forward and swollen up. But she didn't think anything was wrong. I asked for a referral to a rheumatologist but she refused and said its stress and put me on mirtazapine to have 1 at night. I don't believe her. I don't know what to do now. Who do I turn to now?

Orangehaze
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Hi orangehaze

I’m sorry to hear that your doctor has not been at all helpful and even suggesting that it’s down to stress!

Your options are to see another doctor in your practice (if this is possible), or you could speak to your local Patient & Advice Liaison service for advice and guidance (http://www.pals.nhs.uk/officemapsearch.aspx).

Having blood tests done (to check for inflammation in your system), plus an x-ray (to see what is happening in the joint) is crucial, so you get an idea of exactly what is happening.

You are welcome to ring us on 0808 800 4050 to have a chat about your situation.

Regards

Nick
    Helplines Team
  • orangehaze
    Hello everyone, I thought I would give you an update.

After numerous visits back and forth to my GP, being put on mirtazapine for the so called stress (not saying I'm not), now it seems the are taking me seriously! Still clueless about the joint pains so wants to refer me (didn't say to whom as she didn't say. But my fingers on both hands are locking up. Think its refereed to as "Trigger Fingers".
    At least there's a push forward!

thank you all for all you advice

Orangehaze68
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Orangehaze

I had trigger thumbs and this was solved with a minor op with fast recovery. I had injections first of all but this only worked for a while. I sympathise, it is most unpleasant. I hope you begin to get the help you need soon.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • orangehaze
    Thank you Elna for your kind words!

Orangehaze68