Pelvis, groin and leg. Ouch

Lainy1
Lainy1 Member Posts: 7
edited 3. Apr 2012, 15:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi not posted for a while but do read the forums regular, I have osteo arthritis in my hip and si joint and knee which were all confirmed with x-rays about 6 months ago, what's is concerning me now is that as regards to pain it seems to have reached a new level, I am experiencing pain in my groin, pubic bone area,pelvis, back and and my left leg with the arthritic knee is very painful and stiff and gives on me now and then when walking,my thigh to the left is also sore to touch (muscle area) I am now walking more with a limp. Because of the new pain I have made an appointment with my gp. Do you think it would be reasonable of me to ask for a MRI to see what is going on. Does this sound familiar to any body else. At present just take co codamol. It's nice to share with people who understand. :-)

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Lainy1
    I dont think we have met, so a warm welcome from me,of course it is reasonable to ask for an MRI scan, if there is one thing I have learned from this forum is to make ourselves heard, I have OA in my back and hips..and a couple of others places...everything was focus on my hips, so last year I bit the bullet and asked for an MRI scan, they only did my back, but it was a start ,
    So the next time you see your GP just mention how worried you are that things have got so bad, and you would like to be referred for a scan.
    I do wish you well with everything.
    Love
    Barbara
  • Lainy1
    Thank you Barbara , I will defiantly ask for a scan. Did you wait long for your appointment after the referral.? :-)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I empathise with the pain, Lainy as I have OA in both knees and both ankles together with PsA in those joints plus the toes and SI joints. :( I agree, it IS pretty miserable. :( You could certainly ask for an MRI, don't be surprised if he only grants an Xray but that would give at least some insight as to what is happening. I have had three MRIs (thanks to the PsA inflammation), I am fortunate in that I live a five-minute drive from the hospital so I have always asked them to let me know about cancellations - I've never had to wait long before the 'phone goes! I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello Lainy1 and welcome from me too. (I take it you’ve had to re-join as I see your joining date is only today.) Well, I’m sorry things have got worse. I’m afraid that is the nature of the arthritic beast but maybe your GP could alter your medication. There are different paindullers around and we are all different in how we respond to each. Maybe worth a try?

Groin pain and back-of-buttock pain are classic signs of a hip problem but I’ve never done the pubic bone, pelvis or thighs thing. What does your GP make of those? I guess the thighs could be muscular pain due to walking awkwardly to relieve other bits. Maybe he/she could refer you to a physiotherapist.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Lainy

sometimes it does progress quicker than expected and if things have changed a lot since your last imaging was done l am sure the doc will be happy to at least start with an Xray. They can be done far quicker and cheaper than MRIs, but he might do one of those too.

I would ask in your shoes yes. Make sure you write it down all that you have said to us so he gets the message as to just HOW bad it is

You take care of yourself in the meantime :(

Love

Toni xx
  • Folara
    Folara Member Posts: 568
    Heya Lainy,

It's your body and you are the one putting up with the pain etc so yes deffo tell your GP you now want an MRI to see what is going on.

As others have said, sometimes the disease can suddenly go on a rampage and progress a lot faster than expected.

Make sure you tell them exactly how bad it all feels and what an impact it is making on your daily life.

Good luck and hugs xx

Fols x
  • Lainy1
    Thank you all for your kind words and advice, I had forgotten my pass words etc from when I joined last time so I set a new account up:-)

I have had some physio but in all honesty I always felt worst after it the following day .

Will certainly ask for MRI , I have had several of these which were more to do when I had breast cancer, and rib pain several years ago ,but the rib pain was a side effect from the radiotherapy I had received as part of my treatment.

I just worry that I am 46 at present and wander how fast the arthritis will develop. Thank you all again. Good night :-)
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Lainy1

were you Lainy before? Wondered if l remembered you that's all.

Try hard not to worry until you know (easy for me to say harder to do :wink: ), you will feel better once you actually KNOW. For me fear of the unknown is usually worse that knowing.

LOve

Toni xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    As frog says, try not to worry. Easier said than done but arthritis does thrive on stress and, in any case, no-one can say how quickly it will progress. There's no time scale. We're all different.

As for feeling worse after physio - I guess that's normal. The point of the physio is to strengthen your muscles so's they can support the joints better. If muscles are weak and we suddenly prod them into action they do protest at first. It's not good to start off hell for leather but ease into them gently.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Lainy1 wrote:
    Thank you Barbara , I will defiantly ask for a scan. Did you wait long for your appointment after the referral.? :-)
    I had the scan within the month...suppose it depends on were you are. good luck.x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Lainy1
    Hi all, no not lainy1 before.:-)

Ooh good point that stress could be aggravating the arthritis that is something I am going through just now with my hubby losing his job,
    But hopeful he will find something soon.

Have a nice evening all. :-)
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Hi Lainy, I agree with Barbara you have every right to ask for an M.R.I it's your body!! I hope you get it sorted quickly so you can be treated for pain relief or another treatment. Welcome to the forum!!
  • Lainy1
    Hello everyone, experiencing more new pain..... Now it's higher up my back above the hip ,feels more like nerve pain and also just had similar pain/nerve in my neck all on the left hand side which is the same side as the hip arthritis and every step I am taking always pain in the groin. Is this what's to be expected if the arthritis is progressing? Thanks in advannce.:-)