Update on Leg pain.

AnandLeo
AnandLeo Member Posts: 21
edited 13. Feb 2015, 08:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
I had occasional mild rheumatic pains for years, and few months ago suddenly developed nasty pain, numbness, cramps and tension in the hip, thigh and leg. I used to take Ibuprofen occasionally for rheumatic pains but had to stop on doctors’ advice because of age. Instead they prescribed Naproxen. I had to stop taking that because of side effects of stomach ache. That tablet didn’t do any good as much as even Paracetamol so I didn’t mind stop taking it. On doctors’ advice I started going to swimming pool. I don’t enjoy it because I can’t swim far. Swimming may have had mild effect on the rheumatic pains but didn’t show a noticeable improvement. After few weeks, following a cue from a visitor I bumped into at the exit turnstile of the Aqua Centre I decided to go to the gym. I used the gym few years ago but didn’t see much benefit because I didn’t have a serious problem. But with aggravated pains, after few weeks in the gym I noticed hopeful improvement in the condition. Simultaneously I started taking Glucosamine with Chondroitin that may have contributed to the improvement. Gluosamine is for joint cartilage and tendons. My problem was entirely with the muscles of the hip, thigh, and leg. There was regular numbness and cramps that was activated and aggravated by sitting on especially on the train seats. However I think joints needed some nourishment to withstand the regular exercise in the gym. Nurse at the walk in centre warned me of Sciatica that was ruled out by the GP after a leg raising test on the couch.
After about two months regular exercise in the gym and also swimming, and also glucosamine now I feel much better compared with what I began to experience. The symptoms tension and numbness remain slightly especially in the leg, but these are mild and do not worry me as much as the regular pain and problems I had to endure.

I can’t speak for people who have other symptoms of rheumatism or arthritis especially in the joints because these symptoms prevent them from exercising, and engaging in walks or sports. My symptoms did not affect exercise, sports or walking. But I must say it was an agonising and frustrating condition especially when the medical profession had no cure and the GPs put it down to age and something I have to live with. Virtually there was no medicine to cure the pain. Paracetamol relieved the pain, but didn’t cure the cause of the pain. Doctors only suggested to go to pool because it is warm. All in all I think swimming had only minor effect. In my belief it was the gym exercise mainly for legs and hips that brought the relief. I think walking is also quite effective but it takes few hours of walking that takes almost a day or more.
:)

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Well, you have your pain relief, Anandleo, and without NSAIDS so I would regard that very much as a plus.

Exercise is always recommended because strong muscles support the joints and so lessen the pain.

Unlike many, you found swimming unhelpful but persevered with the gym and are finding that it pays off, especially when assisted by the supplements.

I’m very pleased at how this has paid off for you and I do hope it continues. Thank you for letting us know.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    At last you have found something, AnandLeo, and I am pleased that you are gaining the benefit from it. Long may that continue! I made the mistake of walking to the bank earlier and oh boy am I paying for that derring-do now! :lol: I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Anandleo

well done you!!!

I can second a fair bit of what you are saying there.

I have been quietly exercising myself (not taken any supplements though) 'walking' on the treadmill and yes swimming too. Nothing else though and have really noticed an improvement. More's the point l notice a deterioration when l stop for any reason for more than a couple of days.

I do also take a whole load of medications from the docs though :? l take arcoxia as my anti-inflam (gentler on the stomach), as well as pain relief.

Anyway fabulous news and long may it last :D

Love

Toni xx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi, I have oa in multipule joints and fibro. I was told to go swimming but I can't really swim and because I don't do it properlly I find it makes everything worse, especially my neck, trying to keep the water of my face!!! :roll:

I'm glad you've found the right thing to help you keep fit and build up muscle strength. Sounds good. :wink:
    Love Sue
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi
    That is good news, exercising the joints is a must, not just for the muscle but to keep the joints moving freely , I do wish you well with everything, and you keep up the good work x
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    woodbon wrote:
    Hi, I have oa in multipule joints and fibro. I was told to go swimming but I can't really swim and because I don't do it properlly I find it makes everything worse, especially my neck, trying to keep the water of my face!!! :roll:

I'm glad you've found the right thing to help you keep fit and build up muscle strength. Sounds good. :wink:
    Love Sue

Sue just incase you enjoy swimming.... :wink: and want to go....

I now do a version of back stroke because my ncek can't take too much swimming either. I also use a 'float' a children's one like a sausage under my neck - it does help support it a fair bit.

Loe

Toni xxx
  • AnandLeo
    Three years ago I wrote about annoying muscle cramps I suffered in the left leg and hips, and how I overcame the debility by going to gym and pool. When I started this exercise routine to redress the malaise I did it about three days a week, then reduced to 2 days a week, and then reduced it to once a week. It takes one whole afternoon for the routine, and I feel it is drudgery that I will have to keep up for the rest of my life, if I want to feel fit without that awful pain and suffering. Obviously I don’t enjoy this remedy because it is sweaty hard work I exert on the body to fulfil my commitment to stay fit and healthy. I am not a good swimmer but now I am quite used to spend half hour in the pool after the gym which makes me feel quite refreshed at the end. There is a mental satisfaction and physical refreshment after I have spent the time and energy and endured the hassle. The phrase ‘no pain, no gain’ aptly fits my dilemma.
    My immoral thought lurking behind is that I would rather sit in front of a computer or do something else like visiting, walking or drinking rather than compulsion to engage in this half a day of bedevilling ritual for the rest of my life. And I will not be able to work and exert hard as I do now for ever, but that may not much affect the benefits of steady exercise. The verdict appears to be, to prevent the debility I developed in the past and to be physically fit and be happy, I have to suffer half day a week for ever.
    8)
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello AnandLeo
    Its good to hear from you again and so ple4ased you are doing well. the endorphins released from exercise are brilliant to say the least..and swimming has you know is a really good muscle builder..you carry on with the good work not easy I know ...
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    I read my earlier reply to you where I said I'd walked to the bank. I can't walk very far at all now thanks to the steady decrease of my joints and am now reliant on a rollator or a wheelchair.

You have found something to help you keep the worst at bay and that is very good indeed. I am deeply envious that you can do this, it is keeping you supple and able so, although not a joy, it is a positive. Keep up the good work and be thankful that you can do it. DD
  • stickywicket
    Well done on finding your own, healthy, solution and sticking with it :D

I, too, have to exercise every day just to keep the movement I have. Twenty minutes of one kind, fifteen of another and 10-15 of another. I agree it's boring but much preferable to the alternative. I've just done some now. I've rarely felt less like doing any. I was tired and achey and still am but I'm no less tired and no less achey and I've done my bit to keep everything mobile so at least I feel good about it :D

I don't regard it as 'suffering' though. That's what we get when we don't do them and joints and muscles pack in. It's just maintenance like dusting and hoovering. Boring essentials :roll:

Keep up the good work :D
    Steven Wright
  • AnandLeo
    It is the mental challenge of bondage to keep up with the routine that is bothering me than the physical challenge. The mental challenge includes the allocating time and place now and in the future. This is notwithstanding how lucky I may be to be in the current situation of health and happiness with regard to fitness and health as some of you have pointed out.
    8)
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    As I suspect you realise the mental challenge is likely to be much harder than the physical to deal with. It is interesting you use words like drudgery and bondage, and I sense that there is a fair amount of resentment at having to spend time on this regime. Coming at it from a different angle, you have managed to reduce the time involved to one afternoon a week from 3, and don't have the worry of what a medication-based solution might be doing to your body. Sorting out the mind now would be effort well spent though, as it will stand you in good stead to face change and challenge in the future. I wish you well and hope you find a way to meet the mental challenge.
  • AnandLeo
    Believe me, there was no medication-based solution, that was confirmed as explained in my original post. On that account current solution is god-given. I have to admit it is just a moan about a bit of inconvenience and responsibility. Now I have got it off my chest – it is just a trivial matter to manage it, rather than to do it. Thank you for your comments.
    8)
  • dreamdaisy
    We each have a responsibility for our over-all health, be us fit and healthy, diseased or ageing (or, in my case, a ghastly mixture of the last two. :lol: ) I admit that I'm at a loss to understand this gripe of yours but no matter, I am pleased that you have felt able to get it off your chest. DD
  • stickywicket
    I think the further we look into the future the harder it becomes to deal with the present. Your exercise regime brings its own reward. If you ever lack motivation just try dropping it for a few weeks :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • AnandLeo
    This discussion is no longer about disease, it is about less dramatic simple aspects of psychology, mind against body, and prioritising health and fitness needs of individuals. I think I have the motivation to keep going through the regular routine of exercise which forms a rather moderate pattern. I occasionally miss one week, not more than that. However I may have to miss few weeks of gym activity consecutively due to other unavoidable commitments. I’ll then find out what impact that might have on my health and fitness. I have other contingency plans for the future to have regular less strenuous exercise at home that I guess are vital to fend off muscle cramps that I had in the past. So far so good, I am only bit concerned about the future.
    8)
  • dreamdaisy
    I used to be too but now realise that it will take care of itself. I have no control over the past or the future but I can exercise some control over the present in how I react to the challenges of my life. DD
  • AnandLeo
    Hi, I am posting this message just to update my memoranda on my fitness. My last message was slightly out of focus and spoke about fear of having to continue with gym exercise for the rest of my life, and that raised some anxiety. I would rephrase that moan to say, if I take care to go to gym and pool once a week in general, it will pay back me with a fit and comfortable physique with minimal problems with muscles and joints.

I might have been apprehensive at the beginning when I was in agony; I am not writing this seeking sympathy. However empathy might be relevant because that is virtual objective of this account. Just to share the personal feelings in life that could be a cause of depression in some individuals. It is just memoirs of triumphs and tribulations of life. So please don’t panic or get the wrong idea. My experience as described from the earlier posts since I developed some annoying muscle pains might provide some relief for others who suffer from similar problems. However this is not arthritis or joint problems. Tara for the moment.
  • stickywicket
    Well, that sounds like success and I'm very pleased for you. Thanks for the update :D
    Steven Wright