jia in the jaw

charlee
charlee Member Posts: 8
edited 31. Mar 2012, 18:20 in My child has arthritis
hiya im looking for some advice my 4 year old daughter was diagnosed with jia about 18 months ago but about 10 days ago she had an mri on her jaw as she was having trouble eating she now has an appointment in bristol to have steroid injections into both sides of her jaw can anyone give me some advice on how it will affect her in the future. :?

Comments

• illihor
    illihor Member Posts: 283
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    My daughter also has it in the jaw. She had injections into it aswell up Bristol.

She has been fine with it but just lately has been complaining again of pain and not eating hard or really chewy food :( She's on MTX and Enbrel but is having a flare up at the moment. She was meant to have a MRI the other week but couldn't lie still enough so not sure what the plans are for her.

Unfortunately life with JIA is such a huge rollercoaster. One day good then another day bad got to take things as it comes and hope that good days outweigh the bad.

Hugs

Michelle xxx
  • andylamb
    andylamb Member Posts: 41
    P had it on one side in her jaw. She had steroid injections. That was 2.5 years ago. She still has a click on that side and the maxfax has given her some jaw exercises to help with the click. But no other effects. She's on Enbrel and that has controlled the arthritis completely for over 2 years.
  • loren
    loren Member Posts: 20
    Not sure whether she had her injections yet, but I'm 18 and have arthritus in my jaw and have done since 5 I have had to injections in both sides and I find it really helpful. It hurts for abit after but the relief is amazing. Sorry it's abit late xxxx
  • illihor
    andylamb wrote:
    P had it on one side in her jaw. She had steroid injections. That was 2.5 years ago. She still has a click on that side and the maxfax has given her some jaw exercises to help with the click. But no other effects. She's on Enbrel and that has controlled the arthritis completely for over 2 years.

Out of interest what exercises have you been given as Kayleigh's jaw forever clicks but nothing has ever been said about it :( this was after she had the steroid injections into it. It's being controlled well sort of by mtx and enbrel keeps hurting every now and again :(
  • andylamb
    andylamb Member Posts: 41
    We were given an exercise sheet by the maxillo facial surgeon. With her mouth closed she has to put her tongue to the roof of her mouth as far back as she possibly can. Then slowly open her mouth, keeping the tongue in position. Then close it again. She has to do this 10 times, 3 times a day. We all do it in the car driving to school and home again. It has the wonderful side effect of total silence as you can't talk while doing it!

Andy
  • illihor
    now the silence part I LOVE hehe will have to practice a few times myself before trying to teach her but hopefully it will help :D thanks for sharing

Michelle